Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: BRW #40 Varnish

Ben should be advertising the Heirloom Model real soon...I thought I had it sold for him but the deal fail through...somebody will be lucky to own such a masterpiece..

Very nice Scotti I love the sunburst.
    Randy

Very nice F-5, Scotti. And I haven't forgotten about the strap, I'm checkin' my options...hang loose, goose.

..Hey Alan..hold off on the strap...Ive got two already...if my dad would have ended up witht the Heirloom model he would of had to have one.....you know that

Interesting. The fingerboard extension on the "Heritage" looks to be patterned after the 1897-1915 Washburn bowlbacks. I condone this inspiration.

..last one before I give the camera back to its owner..this is more representitive of its color..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40entirefront.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	4926  

I have a couple of emails wanting me to post a couple of more pics...I found 2 that havent been shown yet..

Name:	_40layingdownfull.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	4994  

last one..

Name:	_40lowerboutfront.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	4995  

..just a little update..this thing is really opening up very quickly....she is loud..very responsive...and the tonal qualities are very nice....very nice bass and reall pretty mids and highs...she is three weeks old today and at this point Ol'#6 has become a wall hanger..#40 has just impressed me that much. I swear by Englemann tops...at least for my preference for the kind of tone I like.

Scotti, sounds great. I know when I went down to Ward's in May, he had just strung up a mandolin for the first time. I got to play it for about an hour or so that day. I just couldn't believe the changes it made in the first hour of playing. I guess that wood just has get it's "fibers" together. Of course, red spruce takes much longer to break in than englemann, but the changes you're already seeing or hearing is a great sign. It'll be a hoss I'm sure. By the way, did you have the neck unfinished and just french polished? That's the way I had mine made and Ward says it's "slick as ....." well, he says it's nice and slick and really no friction at all on the movement.

Jim

..Im not sure what treatment Ben used on the neck...something he calls spooge....

So what radius does it have?

..its not too radical..Im thinkin about a 10..its very easy on the hand, wrist and arm.

Hey guys....I've been sitting here playing along with Rob Ickes' "Hard Times" with Steffey on it, and I swear old number 23 is giving me about as close to that Steffey tone as I've ever been able to get. Just pure, clean tone without a lot of noise or distracting overtones. It's the tone that made me want to play the mandolin. Couldn't be more thrilled with this #23, born May 2003.
    Passernig #42

Hey Mike...thats what its all about..Tone

Sorry for the bump boys but I had to make this topic more accessible....Im selling the pick guard off of #40 and I cant post pics..so this is the next best thing.

Richard J.

What's that? You're selling the BRW for the price of a pickguard?
    "The older I get, the better I was!"

Crowder, #24 from June or July is sounding pretty darned good now too. It's become smoother, more open, up the neck. Light picking sounds fuller. But that finish still smells strong.
    Wye Knot

Wow, you still smell the finish? #27 doing just fine.

Even after a week, I can smell which shirts have BRW all over them when I toss them into the laundry. #A-styles, being less feminine than F's, exhibit a stronger body odor.

Wye Knot

..Im still smellin varnish....its a good thing...#40 by the way is becoming quite the monster I knew she would...can you say loud?...full of tone and she aint looking too bad either...Englemann baby....Im a true believer in Englemann tone-wood.

BRW #6 was up for sale in the classifieds earlier and now it's gone.....was it purchased? Anyone know who bought it?
    Passernig #42

It has been sold.. twice...once by me then by the person who bought it from me...havent heard who the new owner is. Dang exes...next time Im just gonna find a woman I like and buy her a mando....this makes 2 great mandos Ive had to sell because of...Love Grown Cold..

Richard J.

Scott, I hope those weren't marriages. I was once told (after divorce) "Don't bother to get married (again), just find somebody you hate and buy 'em a house!" #Wouldn't that make a great mando tune?

"The older I get, the better I was!"

..one was a marriage.....this one didnt get quite that far...thankfully...