Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thoughts about some British mandolin makers

Default Re: thoughts about some British mandolin makers

Ivan, that looks like a lovely mando Ivan and may have reignited some MAS

Will try and make it to th'oddfellows soon...

Mike, my understanding is that there are a number of mandolin luthiers in the Czech Republic so that may be a worthwhile trip (someone else probably knows more about the different makers). If you are ever back in Manchester do "pm" me if you want a second opinion on any mandos or a pick

cheers,
    Paul

The Czech Republick has some wonderful builders. Start with Jiri Lebeda (universally known as 'George') but czech out (aargh) Holoubek, Krishot, Pruchaska, Capek as well.
    Tim

Thanks Ivan and Mandotime1955 for the suggestions. Cheers for that Paul, I ll take you up on that when I m back in Manchester

Paul - Contact Ged thro.his website & ask him if he has any more pics.of his Mandolin(s).I cribbed that pic.from his website ages ago,but he's possibly got a few more,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by mike30 View Post
    Thank you mandotim1955 for the Freshwater suggestion. This is a brand I have seen on websites but never actually tried....any opinions or comments from anyone?

Cheers guys
    As you may know by now, Freshwater Instruments has had to close for financial reasons. I hope this is temporary, but David may also decide it is time to retire. I have a "tenor" mandola and a bouzouki (long necked octave mandolin) from Freshwater. I am very happy with both and they have had some hard use, especially the 'zouk. I could recommend a used one, but a lot depends on how it has been "used".

I don't mean for this to sound as if I'm "piling on" David Freshwater, so please don't read it as such...I'm very saddened to hear both of the demise of his operation and also that many customers were allegedly left "in the lurch" and are now out of both cash and instruments.

I've considered on a couple of different occasions buying Freshwater instruments, first a Mandocello, and most recently an OM, both through the classifieds here. I actually really liked the tone of the MC and regret not buying it at the time, but something else came up that used up the fun money (it was either car repairs or another mandolin, can't recall ). It looked structurally sound and minimalistic but nicely done, and, again, I quite regret not jumping on that one.

Prior to springing for the OM I did a little more research in the archives (given more budget options for OMs) and discovered quite a few complaints of structural issues, poor intonation beyond that which could be fixed with a simple bridge adjustment, etc. Many of these reports also came with complaints about customer service after the sale, though I suspect geography may have played a role in some of those issues. The OM I was considering actually had a strangely angled bridge in photos, and I suspect it was in an effort to compensate for intonation issues.

I bring these issues up to underscore that I would not buy a used Freshwater without inspecting/playing it first. I believe that he made some very good instruments, especially for the price point, and you may find a real gem in his line, so don't rule them out. But be informed about some of the problems noted and inspect carefully before buying. This rule applies to all instruments/makers as well, but is especially important to consider if you end up making an internet purchase.

Happy Hunting!!
    Chuck

I missed this thread originally as I was away. Did you ever get sorted out Mike?

Hi everyone, this is Mike, I started the original thread and because I'm rubbish with technology lost my account and have made this new one. Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone for the useful comments. I have moved back to the UK and have bought a mando; a Fylde walnut touchstone. Went up to Roger's workshop in the lakes and tried a few. Did check out a Lebeda whilst I was abroad and spent a few afternoons in local music shops, but really liked the Fylde. As I mentioned, I have permenently moved back to Cheshire and wondered if anyone knows of any mando groups etc in the area, or would be interested in forming some kind of outfit with mandos and/or other instruments, or just jammin'?

Hi Mike,

Where abouts in Cheshire are you and what style(s) of music are you into playing?

There are plenty of acoustic sessions in and around Manchester that I know about but not sure how far away you are..
    cheers,
    Paul

PS congrats on your new mandolin, hope you are enjoying it?

Hi, you might want to look over this earlier thread focussing on your geographic area. I cant see any reason for buying a starter mandolin transcontinentally...https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...andolin-makers

Have fun with it all.

Ehm......! That link is back to this thread. Not quite sure what you mean - the last post was over six years ago.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Ehm......! That link is back to this thread. Not quite sure what you mean - the last post was over six years ago.
    I think Bill was trying to link this older thread into this newer one for Yvonne: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...the-first-time
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

If TONE is more important than VOLUME then I'd go for a USED carved top and I think it is a buyers market. Flat top mandolins such a Levin or folky ones tend to be toppy from my experience. Something like a USED Eastman 615 or even 815 would give decent tone and volume but they don't really have that folky sound.

Sounds like you are after a mandolin to cover various situations and maybe hard to find without spending a lot.

I have a Loar LM700 probably for sale shortly. It's the LOUDEST mandolin I've ever played. I've been using it for live performances due to the VOLUME but have decided to probably start using my Northfield BigMon in public as I just love the tone. The Loar has a chunky neck but HUGE SOUND and I've had hundreds of mandolins so believe me, it is very loud. Can do anything.

regards

Jimmy Powells
    Northumberland.