Thread: Line 6 Spider Emulation Amps.

Blog Entries

Default Line 6 Spider Emulation Amps.

Has anyone run their e-mando into one of the Line 6 Spider emulations amps?

If so, I'm wondering what emulation settings you have found effective and useful for your different types of electric mandolin applications.

I have several settings I liked very much with my Strat & Tele, and it will be interesting to see if my new e-mando responds similarly to either of those axes.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Default Re: Line 6 Spider Emulation Amps.

I've used the Roland equivalent. Best result for me was with "Brit Combo", which I guess means Vox AC30. Good overdrive sound.

BTW, try stainless-steel wound for longer life. I get Ernie Ball singles. Is your Bovier a 4-string?
    Last edited by Tom Wright; Feb-19-2011 at 12:59am.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    I've used the Roland equivalent. Best result for me was with "Brit Combo", which I guess means Vox AC30. Good overdrive sound.

BTW, try stainless-steel wound for longer life. I get Ernie Ball singles. Is your Bovier a 4-string?
    Thanks very much Tom.
    I find it very interesting that you would suggest a Vox setting.
    In a recent reply I received from Jeff Bird regarding duplicating his live e-mando sound, he said that:
    "I have found that the vox tv4 amp is the closest I have come to replicating my curious little beast. It is not quite as loud but the tone is very close."
    Pretty neat, no?
    Yes, my JBovier EMC will be a 4 string. I thought it best to stick to four strings since I'm still fairly new to the mandolin. It comes set-up with SIT strings (made here in Ohio!) gauges 10-15-25-39.
    Oh, one final thing...and this is painful for me to think about...I actually owned an old Vox 30 back in the late 70s / early 80s. I played rhythm guitar in a short-lived, new-wavish garage band, and my gear consisted of a Gibson L6-S played through a Morley Power/Wah/Fuzz into a Vox 30. I still think fondly of that set-up...great rawness and power...
    I don't even remember what happened to the Vox...I think I gave it away after getting married...
    How stupid we are at 22.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Hi ED, I run my Mann EM4 through a line six 75 watt spider and feel it was a lot of bang for the buck. It can sound very clean to Zappaish with the settings. I also think that the channel memory is very useful with the optional foot switch, Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris scott View Post
    Hi ED, I run my Mann EM4 through a line six 75 watt spider and feel it was a lot of bang for the buck. It can sound very clean to Zappaish with the settings. I also think that the channel memory is very useful with the optional foot switch, Chris
    Thanks much Chris. Are you using the FBV2 or the FBV Express pedal with your line 6 75?
    Would you be willing to share any amp settings that work particularly well with your Mann? I'm particularly looking for a fat, dark electric Blues setting. I had a hard time zeroing-in on one with the JBovier...Hoping for better luck with the new e-mando.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I've been using a Vox 30VT, but the thing lacks real crunch.

Ed, I have been watching the tube amp search, good job on the review. The line 6 setting I mainly use are the clean, blues red and insane green. Those are just part of the mix because that drive knob is something that really changes the personality of the sound.(dirtyness?). I have been playing Santana's Sam pa ti using the insane with a big dose of drive and small dose of reverb allowing for the most sustain. Hope this helps, Chris. Oh ya, the pedal is the FBV2, nice for moving from lead presets to rythym presets and my Mann is a hollowbody which also make a difference. I tend to use my right palm behind the bridge applying pressure as kind of wammybar. Jon I hope you didn't hear that.

just want to add the these emulation amps are kind of a "junk draw" of sorts. I am around other amps and use them but all those different choices in one box make them very convenient for trying new things like playing "big Mon" with a big dose of phaser. But really there just another tool box to draw from. Best to ya, Chris.

Blog Entries

Thanks very much, Chris.
    Have you saved customized settings, or do you just tweak presets? Just curious.
    These emulator amps certainly do have lots of features...Sometimes I find all the choices intimidating.
    Oh, and I think I'm going to invest in the FBV Express (the pedal with the 4 channel switches and a built-in volume/wah pedal).
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

youbetcha Ed, I have of customized settings saved. Some I name after toons like "Something lead" and"something backup". That way when we play Something (Beatles) I got it right there at my feet.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have a Spider 4 75W with an FBV Express footswitch and agree it does a lot for the rather modest cost. So far I've only used mandolin through the clean and blues settings with a little tweaking and am happy with the results. Mostly I use it for guitar though and run the mando through a mini PA.

Blog Entries

I picked-up a very lightly used Line 6 FBV Express (MK1) pedal for my Spider III 75 through amazon.com earlier this week.

With very helpful feedback from the Line 6 Facebook page, I re-calibrated the pedal before hooking it up to the amp. Being without an e-mando for now, I have been playing me Tele through the pedal/amp. Wow, this is a nice, well-designed pedal! The channel changing foot switches work smoothly, and I am quite pleased by the sweep of the volume/wah.

It seems that proper calibration of these pedals (or re-calibration of a used pedal) is very important to get the most out of the volume/wah. After following the detailed re-calibration instructions this baby worked like a charm!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...