Thread: Trying to find an introductory mandocello but having difficulty..

Default Trying to find an introductory mandocello but having difficulty..

Heyall, I'm really interested in getting into the mandocello in addition to my mandolin playing, but I don't really have the cash right now to buy a used K-1 or K-2 or a new Weber or anything of that caliber. Any suggestions on getting into the mandocello mode for cheap? Is it possible? Can one tune a guitar to simulate a mandocello (are the necks similar lengths?) Anyone have a cheapo mandocello for sale?

Thanks for your suggestions,

- J

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Trying to find an introductory mandocello but having difficul

Well, what kind of cash are we talking about? that's the starting point.

A lot of instruments simply aren't produced in student grade or entry level configurations owing to their relative rarity, obscurity, or cost to manufacture. I'm not sure there's really any such thing as an entry level mandocello, at least price-wise. Certainly not in the way that you can buy a $200 mandolin and work your way up the ladder. They seem to start expensive and go up. I think it's more like how there's a lot of student grade oboes, not many student grade bassoons, and no such thing as a student contra-bassoon. By the time a player gets to the contra-bassoon, he's way past being a student.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Eastman mandocellos are under $2k.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Wishnevsky makes them (will likely need a good set up) for under $800 (IIRC). Other's have converted a 12 string guitar to mandocello with some luthier help.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Old Kay, Silvertone, or Harmony archtop (for around 250.00) + new nut + re-drill peghead = a potentially nice, cheap 'cello.......

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Wishnevsky makes them (will likely need a good set up) for under $800 (IIRC). Other's have converted a 12 string guitar to mandocello with some luthier help.

Jamie
    Jamie -- curious as to why you say teh Wishnevsky instrument would need a good set up? Looks like an interesting guy.

I don't know the resale prices but Ovation made some mandocellos based on their guitar design. These were introduced to the market 10 or 12 years ago. I got to try one and they do sound and play quite well. You might place an ad in the classified section under wanted or go search the usual online auction sites.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

Well, from what I've heard, Mr. Wishnevsky does a little rougher work. I would figure a set up is needed on almost any new mandolin to get it where you want anyway. I mean no disrespect, of course, and have no hands on knowledge but am repeating what I have learned on the Cafe re: Wishnevsky mandocellos. They are on my wish list for sure as I won't likely spend the 2K for the Eastman.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

You could buy an inexpensive octave mandolin and tune it like a 'cello. You'd probably need to cut a new nut for the larger strings.
    EdSherry

Soares'y or Bardsong cellos, if you can find them, should be in the $500-700 range.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I can also recommend a mandocello from Wishnevsky with the following caveat: When he built mine I asked him not to finish it. I then took it to a trusted luthier to finish. When he saw it, he not quite kiddingly asked:"Do you mean complete it or put a finish on it? He charged as much to put a finish on it as Wish did to build the whole thing.

Mine was in the price range of a battered, old plywood archtop guitar but plays and sounds downright decent. It's held up for a few years now and the fit is somewhat crude by effective. I'm not what you'd call a mandocello player but it's more than met my needs.

I've known Wish for at least thirty years: great guy, real character, straight shooter.
    Tom Mylet

If interested in the Soares'y mandocello, here's one currently on eBay, one bid of $400, about four days left in the auction.

Reason I'm linking this, is that the description says it's the last one made, and that the Soares'y shop in Portugal is closing due to the bad economy in that country. This one's an acoustic-electric, plywood, with the usual caveats about "dings and nicks and unbuffed finish" that the Soares'y write-ups usually contain.

Never played a Soares'y, so no recommendation, but if the description's correct, there won't be more instruments, at least for awhile.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Hey guys, I'm undergoing an experiment: turning my old classical guitar into a mandocello. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

- J

Quote Originally Posted by jarombra View Post
    Hey guys, I'm undergoing an experiment: turning my old classical guitar into a mandocello. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
    If you are planning to use metal MC strings, I would either change the bracing or else use nylon strings. Classical guitars are not really meant to withstand that sort of tension. Could put the bridge or even the top off. I suppose you could use mandolin style tailpiece and movable bridge.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I'd like to see Saga, or whoever is building "The Loar" model mandolins add a K-4 traditional Gibson scroll mandocello to their product line. Seems like mandocellos are becoming more popular these days, yet the prices of the boutique builders are beyond most folks reach, result being that the guitar body shaped Eastman or guitar conversions are affordable and more the norm.

The problem with the Eastmans is the 1.75" nut, IMHO. 1.5" at the nut is plenty--the wider neck makes them more difficult to play. You might have the same problem with some guitar conversions. It wouldn't be that much more work for Eastman to make the neck mandocello width instead of guitar width.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Registered User maudlin mandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jim- I have read about problems with higher string tension when converting a guitar to an octave mandolin, but if it is converting to mandocello won't it be tuned CGDA (an octave below a mandola) making it lower in pitch than a standard guitar?

I have 3 instruments that fit the bill, all under $1000. The first is a large bodied Irish bouzouki by Heiner Drezhenter tuned in C. The second is a Hora Octave Mandolin tuned in C and the third is a no-name laminated piece of crap I bought on Ebay for $300 plus $275 shipping. Probably made in China, inlay glued on in Vietnam. You've seen these listed and discussed here before. It's an F model, painted red/black. Currently on loan to L'Esperance Mandolin Orchestra out of Providence, RI

Quote Originally Posted by themandocello View Post
    I have 3 instruments that fit the bill, all under $1000...
    And, you're aware this is a seven-year-old thread...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

If the OP is still looking 7 years later, I have a sweet one I've been holding for them! It was $600 in 2011, so with interest and storage fees, that'd be around $750 today...
    Last edited by colorado_al; Jan-16-2018 at 5:35pm.

Well, while we're here... Anybody try one of those Mortones on reverb? I see the Gold Tones are going for under a grand on eBay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mzurer View Post
    Well, while we're here... Anybody try one of those Mortones on reverb? I see the Gold Tones are going for under a grand on eBay as well.
    I follow the Mortone guy on Reverb and Facebook, haven't bought or played one but they are intriguing. My main concern with them is that the starting instruments he converts from are pretty bottom barrel brands, but maybe he tweaks and modifies enough sufficiently that it's not an issue. They sound good enough when he is playing, and for an electric your amp is what matters most anyway. I could see myself getting one some day down the road if one strikes my fancy and I have the cash and no other interesting instruments on the horizon.

Yeah - the amplified ones sound good. The fully acoustic samples I've heard/seen leave a little to be desired. But so did the Eastman I tried out at McCabes!

Could have rebuilt a guitar as a mandocello, It's been done.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture