Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Band attire??

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Band attire??

You would hate it here, then. People play in shorts and sandals, even flip-flops! Including me. Hey - I like that line about "going where the climate suits my clothes" so much I moved here. Funny - even when it gets cold here (yeah, I know 50° ain't all that cold) people may wear jeans and layers, but will still wear sandals. Go figure.

But for the Italian restaurant gig, I wear Hawaiian shirt, black slacks, black shoes. It's a nice restaurant, after all, and even if the diners feel it's OK to dress like schlumps, I won't.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Allen, I used to always wear cowboy boots, expensive ones too, I might add and then as I got older my feet hurt so much that I did do some gigs in Nike tennis shoes but since I have found a nice pair of shoes that are comortable and look good with black pants so that what I wear now...Dudley Connell wears tennies all the time I believe, at least every time I see him he has them on....

It don`t matter to me what bands wear, really, I just sit back and listen to the music....And you can bet I am going to take Danny up on meeting him at some event this summer and playing his Loar.....

Willie

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    One area where I have a bit of a hang-up, is that I hate to perform in sneakers! Even if I'm doing just a seniors' program or a coffeehouse, I somehow feel that "real shoes" are required. Don't know why that is...
    It is not that unusual - the rule of thumb of gentleman's attire is that the most money should be spent on shoes, followed by pants and so on; the nearer the ground the finer it should be. If you have to wear an unusual mix, overalls with black business shoes is more acceptable than a frock coat with wellingtons.
    Therefore, I guess your instinct fully classifies you as a gentleman
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

When I played in a Bluegrass Band in the '80s our uniform look was blue jeans and a "tasteful" Hawaiian shirt. After a few gigs, my wife pointed out that, in her opinion, there are no "tasteful" Hawaiian shirts...

Blog Entries

Most of the time my band wears shoes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    When I played in a Bluegrass Band in the '80s our uniform look was blue jeans and a "tasteful" Hawaiian shirt. After a few gigs, my wife pointed out that, in her opinion, there are no "tasteful" Hawaiian shirts...
    Yea, but Hawaiian shirts are cool, I mean they are actually cool to wear, lightweight, lets the sweat dissipate faster.

A band needs to make a thoughtful decision on stage attire as it contributes to the overall image that they need to establish. Whether a band chooses to wear casual cloths, jackets and ties, western, or uniforms, the members need to look good on stage. Sloppy is not an option. Once stage attire has been chosen, it needs to remain consistant so that the band retains their identity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 300win View Post
    Yea, but Hawaiian shirts are cool, I mean they are actually cool to wear, lightweight, lets the sweat dissipate faster.
    Just be careful to look at the label. If it says 100% rayon, move on. Good for bold colors, but not people. Suitable for cold weather wear only, as it does not breathe.

There are a good number of tasteful Hawaiian shirts, although it is very true that the tendency is toward bold, even garish colors. I have problems with the ones that use unnatural colors for natural vegetation - palm trees with purple fronds, that sort of thing.

I would like to mention that Florida Turnpike toll collectors have wonderful shirts of this style, with the names of exits on them and such. What a pleasure to wear something like that for work! When I found they were available at the service plazas, I had to get one, if for no other reason than one exit is named "Yeehaw Junction." Have to have a shirt that says that! (NFI, BTW)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turnpike Shirt1.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	68394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turnpike Shirt2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	68393  
    Last edited by journeybear; Feb-12-2011 at 1:02pm.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    ...I guess your instinct fully classifies you as a gentleman.
    I feel much better now. Played a Civil War songs program last night at the George Eastman House (International Museum of Photography) here in Rochester; it was opening night for Between the States, an exhibit of Civil War photographs. Dressed in "broadfall" trousers, vest, loose shirt, slouch hat, looking pretty close to a mid-19th-century musician. Nondescript black shoes (no sneakers), using my 1860's guitar, 1870's gut-strung banjo, 1880's Wheatstone concertina. One of the things that sometimes gets lost or ignored, is that visual presentation is part of a performance. Just the way that the spoken introduction is part of a song. Had I showed up in a Grateful Dead T-shirt and ripped jeans, I doubt my presentation of Civil War songs would have been as credible, though I would have done the same material in the same style.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Andy, I agree that consistency is important in the look of a band to help establish their identity, but in some situations I think that sloppy can actually be OK, and even expected. Granted I grew up mostly in the 80's (yikes, and I mean the whole freakin' decade) and 90's (grunge, grunge, grunge) and thus may have a skewed perspective, but I also worked in a higher end men's shop in college and thus know how to "dress professionally," too. But, I have no problem with a BG or country band wearing jeans, boots, and either t-shirts or "Grascal style" shirts. I expect jeans and t-shirts in rock, and after seeing some serious belt buckle damage understand why many pickers go untucked. Heck, I untuck my dress shirts before I play any instruments in a music store to avoid buckle rash. Each genre, I guess, has their basic stereotypical look for better or (often) worse. And, there are social situations where it is more appropriate to dress up a little (particularly in formal situations) or, as Alan, has described, where period dress in a necessity.

The bottom line for me, personally, is that I really don't care what the band wears as long as they can play. In my profession I'm just as smart answering questions at home in my pajamas as I am at the office in "business dress," and if a band's most comfortable in jeans and t-shirts, then I have no problem with that. I'd rather they be comfortable and play their best than the contrary, nudist gigs being the possible exception (taken on a case by case basis, of course) .
    Chuck

Blog Entries

If they play well (Punch Brother for example) I can take casual dress just fine. If they play poorly, sequined suits or ties ain't gonna make the show any better. I'm more affected by how well the band plays together and how well they connect with the audience. I've seen Marty Stuart play in full kit during a Philaburbia August, I felt bad for him in all of that outfit on that hot stage.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Having played onstage for 35 years I've learned a few things. I think it's important to dress appropriately, and that means different clothes for different kinds of music and different locales.

Though I think it's nice that Bluegrass tradition is to look sharp, I get really uncomfortable watching guys sweating in 90 plus degree heat at a festival. That's distracting!!!

I've also been in bands where somebody was the oddball and wore something that contrasted with the rest of the band. That's annoying as well, and I've said something about it.

I think it's important for the band to agree upon a look and then go with it. It's part of the image that you project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    just be careful to look at the label. If it says 100% rayon, move on. Good for bold colors, but not people. Suitable for cold weather wear only, as it does not breathe.

There are a good number of tasteful hawaiian shirts, although it is very true that the tendency is toward bold, even garish colors. I have problems with the ones that use unnatural colors for natural vegetation - palm trees with purple fronds, that sort of thing.

I would like to mention that florida turnpike toll collectors have wonderful shirts of this style, with the names of exits on them and such. What a pleasure to wear something like that for work! When i found they were available at the service plazas, i had to get one, if for no other reason than one exit is named "yeehaw junction." have to have a shirt that says that! (nfi, btw)
    lol !

When you look as smart as these guys,you'll be "SMART" - 'The US Navy Country Current Bluegrass Band', i feel proud simply watching them & i'm English (sort of),
    Ivan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5kqtNZiTjA
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Nice that they are permitted to wear short sleeves and have their top buttons unbuttoned. They do look pretty snazzy. I have seen them a couple of times at Winterhawk (now Grey Fox) and was impressed that the Navy is able and willing to support this project, which manages to maintain uniformly high standards despite built-in personnel changes.

Last week I saw a band on Conan called Red whose members dressed in varying combinations of black and red - I guess that relates to their name - reminiscent of The White Stripes' color scheme. I wished they had put as much thought into their music - one of the rare times I passed on including a performance in the archives. They will be on Leno tonight; see if they make the cut this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	68542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White Stripes 1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	68543  

Blog Entries

It is not that unusual - the rule of thumb of gentleman's attire is that the most money should be spent on shoes, followed by pants and so on; the nearer the ground the finer it should be.
    I have heard something like this before. Hmmmmm.

I am soooo fortunate I work from home. The few times I have purchased expensive shoes they have been uncomfortable enough that I couldn't wait to get home and back into my kickabouts.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    When you look as smart as these guys,you'll be "SMART" - 'The US Navy Country Current Bluegrass Band', i feel proud simply watching them & i'm English (sort of),
    Ivan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5kqtNZiTjA
    Well, .... it is the 'Navy'. They have a lot of time for that sort of thing I suppose, after all their main job is to get U.S. Marines where the fight is. I confess I am prejudiced though seeing as how my oldest son has been in the Marine Corps for 13 years.

Blog Entries

Now, now, let's not start an inter-service rivalry here (as if there weren't enough of that already ). The Marine Corps has their fine marching band, the Navy has this fine bluegrass band, and they are both following orders, creating good will, generating publicity for the military, all that good stuff. These are special assignments, the results of what must be intense competition to find the best of the best within their ranks to form and field these bands and boost morale within the forces and the public. It's all good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Now, now, let's not start an inter-service rivalry here (as if there weren't enough of that already ). The Marine Corps has their fine marching band, the Navy has this fine bluegrass band, and they are both following orders, creating good will, generating publicity for the military, all that good stuff. These are special assignments, the results of what must be intense competition to find the best of the best within their ranks to form and field these bands and boost morale within the forces and the public. It's all good!
    Hey, no problem man. I'm not trying to stir up nothing. I agree with you 100%. But I am a dad, and very proud of my son. I think that Bill Emerson was the driving factor on getting the first U.S. Navy Bluegrass band going. I'm not sure what rank Bill held, but I know he was in the Navy, I guess the reserves even when he was part of the Country Gentlemen or shortly thereafter. Oh the U.S. Navy has a fine service band also. But the Marines do have it all together marching and making music at the same time. Can you imagine what a racket it would be if a Bluegrass band tried to play and march at the same time ?

Blog Entries

As long as none of them starts using bagpipes, I'm happy!

Is this a trapeze act or a band? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mandowilli View Post
    These guys know how to dress like pros.
    I mean this one (Sorry, I was so bedazzled that I forgot to click on the quote button).

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The few times I have purchased expensive shoes they have been uncomfortable enough that I couldn't wait to get home and back into my kickabouts.
    I firmly believe that good looks don't require pain. Fine shoes can be as comfortable as you like if you take the time to choose and invest the money. If they only look good but feel ill-fitting, they are probably just "replicas" from China.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

...find it creepy if the band members' faces look all alike or resemble a zombie nightmare stepped right out of a Grant Wood painting...
    I felt I had to explain this and found again what I had in mind. Note the man with the blue shirt who is replicated at least 3 times throughout the scene:

Country Current always puts on a good show. Mando chores have been handled by Frank Solivan, Pat White (I think in the above video). I like the whole idea of that band.