Thread: Clean Sustain?

Default Clean Sustain?

Does anyone out there have a suggestion for an effects box that produces clean sustain for an e-mando? I'm not looking for distortion, just duration. Thanks

Wranglertbone

"I'm a Taurus. We're not superstitious."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Clean Sustain?

Compression does that, although you might find it too clean and not that interesting, as it will also kill your attacks somewhat. Boss makes such a pedal, as do other companies:
    http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...8&ParentId=262

You could just hit it for the one note, I guess. Try one in a store.

Alternately, do what pedal steel players do and use a volume pedal.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Actually, I bought a Boss compression pedal, but as you said, it made the tone sound too clean, almost like a synthesizer. I think a volume pedal might work, but I was hoping for something that didn't require mastering actual technique with another limb, particularly since my group sometimes plays sitting, sometimes standing. I seem to remember playing a solid body guitar a long time ago plugged into something that made the note just stretch out for a long tiome.

Wranglertbone

Try a very tight delay with some LPF applied. Repeats to taste and decay for verbing it out a bit. I am basing this on what to dial on an Electro harmonix pedal.
    At least u don't have to try to find out special emando-pedals, so +1 go downtown and try some pedals.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Blog Entries

I think you were hearing a sample-and-hold pedal. It's actually synthesizing a continuing tone, using the sample as template.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Just as digital delays and room modeling units have done for decades now. The pallate available with regard to this can vary from delay, 'verb or continuation of tone. the LPF ensures that it is the body of the musical structure that is repeated without to many upper harmonics being repeated in the resultant sound. n
    I am thinking more about the OP's desired end result and suspect this may be more successful than using dynamic control only.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25112009(008).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	68080  

There's an effect you might be looking for called "Slow Gear," based on a pedal Boss used to make back in the late 70's. It sounds like a guitar player riding the volume knob to swell and sustain the note.

My VG-99 processor includes the effect, and it might be in some of the other Roland multi-effects processors. I use it sometimes on electric guitar, the way you'd use a synth pad in the background. It's sort of a violin bow attack and sustain. It can sound a bit too "synthy" by itself, but it works pretty well if you run it in parallel with the unprocessed/clean tone, so you still have the natural attack on the note.

If you're looking to get this in a single pedal (and can't find an old Boss Slow Gear), there is the Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume pedal, and the Behringer Slow Motion SM200. I haven't tried either one. There are user demos (some pretty horrible) on YouTube if you search on those names.

string twice as long would help ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    I love the cereal box, but maybe I need a detergent box to get that "clean" sustain.

Wranglertbone

Blog Entries

Oh man, this thread has reminded me of my garage band days of the late 70s and early 80s. I played a Gibson L6S through a Vox 30. My one and only effect was a wonderful Morley Power Wah Fuzz pedal (I called it 'The Boat Anchor'). Now that was an awesome pedal...You could get clean sustain for days using the 'power' setting, and the fuzz setting...Wow! Remarkable, Classic 70s guitar Roar!
    I have no idea whether Morley still makes this pedal, but if they do, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat!...Heck, I'll need to get another when I breakdown and acquire my e-mando.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Thanks for all the great suggestions. It appears are a couple of good music stores nearby where I can just take my e-mando in and try some of these things out. I'll print out the thread and put it in my case.

Wranglertbone