Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mandobird Regrets?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandobird Regrets?

Agreed. And, in fairness, a lot of folks seems to speak very highly of these e-mandos.
    I wonder if this is one of those problems that just fell through the cracks.
    Either way, I'm glad you found a fix JB.
    BTW, I think your Mandolbird sounds great, though I'm sure most of that is because of your mods and rig!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Why, thank you! You're too kind. I think I get lucky often enough that I get by. The rig is old and pretty iffy, and this is really my first mod, and won't affect the sound. It's mostly my mind, or rather a matter of mind over matter, and a willingness to work with happenstance and chaos that gets me through. I actually got compliments - embarrassing, really - about how well I played last time, even with only three strings. Even from someone who has been to more shows than anyone else and should know better. Me, I shudder when I think about checking out the video. Hope something can be salvaged.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

JB; your version of the Star Spangled Banner is one of my 10 favorite e-mando videos ever!
    If that's just "getting by" I don't have a prayer!
    I bet your 3-string video is much better than you think.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

Geez! This really IS getting embarrassing! To think I could be on the same list as Jeff Bird and The Cowboy Junkies doing "Wrong Piano" - high praise indeed. Well, see if you can wangle a Key West vacation this winter, or better yet, some sort of press junket from the station. Must be some way ... Or maybe there is some festival in your area that might be interested in a post-psychedelic Americana band. We have gotten an offer from one in Iowa weekend before Fourth of July, and it would be great to turn this into a mini-tour. Just thinkin' out loud ... and getting pretty far off-topic ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Smile Re: Mandobird Regrets?

Hi, i am new to Mandolin Cafe after just discovering it recently and reading the threads about emandos, especially Mandobird VS. Eastman. This used Mandobird 4 string i just bought is not a regret. I paid $150 used off of Amazon and being my first mandolin, it seems to play very easy. I was a uke player before and had never played a mandolin. This instrument is seems to contradict my original fears of metal strings and high action. I don't believe the previous owner even touched it as far as a setup, but it sounds great clean through my new Vox Mini 3 amp. Maybe once I actually learn something about mandolin playing I might find this instrument's inadequacies, but for now it's great.

I have to blame Warren Ellis for this purchase!

Blog Entries

Hello and welcome to the Café! That's about what I paid for mine - including shipping - off ebay, both of them, both from music stores. I guess they got tired of seeing them hanging on their walls. They both seem pretty new. I don't have a problem with the action. The only problems I've had are the nut having a sharply squared-off corner that digs into my hand a bit, the pots having a less-than-linear response, the screws on the mini-bridges being a tad too short to get the intonation 100% right, and the recent discovery of the holes for the strings being drilled in the wrong place. Other than that, no regrets!

I'm thinking I could resolve both of the last two issues by moving the bridge assembly, but that seems a bit more complicated than I want to get with it. I keep thinking, "Well, whaddaya want for 150 bucks?" I have to say, well, I'd like an instrument that works, at least has the basics covered. But no regrets.

I had no idea of the holes being drilled wrong. I have not needed to change a string yet. I guess I will find out then. I originally had my heart set on an Eastwood Airline Mandola in seafoam green, but the fact that they didn't offer a 4 string model was the deciding factor. Hopefully they will in the future, although I am loving the bird!

Blog Entries

I was referring to the problem I outlined a few posts earlier. Thought you'd read up to this point ...

Question Re: Mandobird Regrets?

I am looking for an electric mandolin. The 4-string Mandobird is one option. But I am really looking for a 5-string mando. So one option a Blue Star 5-string Mandoblaster the other is a 5-string Mojolin kit by Moongrazer Music:
    http://www.moongazermusic.com/index.html.

What can anyone tell me about the Blue Star's Mandoblaster?
    About Fender's Telecaster & Mandocaster?
    Does any one know anything about Moongrazer Music's kits?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rwij View Post
    I am looking for an electric mandolin...snip...But I am really looking for a 5-string mando. So one option a Blue Star 5-string Mandoblaster the other is a 5-string Mojolin kit by Moongrazer Music...snip...
    Another model you might want to look at is the JBovier EMC-5. I had an EMC-4 that I thought was a very nice electric mandolin, and the EMC-5 is right in the same price range as the Mandoblaster. Here's a dealer who seems to have a sunburst EMC-5 in stock. (NFI)
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Does any one know anything about Moongrazer Music's kits?
    I have built one... My emando is nice and plays well... For me, she's a very good mando...
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."