Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Harmonica in BlueGrass

Default Re: Harmonica in BlueGrass

Flatt & Scruggs reportedly tuned high "on purpose" because it made their instruments sound brighter and louder.

We all have our preferences for what we do or don't like, in bluegrass, Celtic, klezmer, and pizza toppings. I never order anchovies on my pizza. However, I wouldn't presume to tell the pizza-eaters of the world that "anchovies have no place on pizza."

As Willie wisely points out, we can like or dislike any instrumental combination that's labeled "bluegrass" -- listen to it or not, criticize or praise it. I think harmonica in bluegrass, on a limited basis, can be interesting and fun. Willie disagrees, I guess. Neither of us is "right," except in the individual-choice realm. Alternatively, both of us are "right" -- for ourselves.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I don`t dis agree Allen, I had a harmonica player for some of my gigs back a few years ago...He booked some good paying shows...I couldn`t use him on some shows because I had twin fiddles and they say the harmonica clashed with them...As I have stated on here my dad was one of the best harmonica players I have ever heard so I have no dislike for them....

Willie

3. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Willie, you can play harmonica (or anything else) in my band any day. I really respect your knowledge and experience. Wish I'd jammed with Buzz Busby "back in the day..."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    However, I wouldn't presume to tell the pizza-eaters of the world that "anchovies have no place on pizza."
    There's always room for anchovies...right next to the jalepenos....
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

6. The following members say thank you to Mandoviol for this post:

Allen, thanks for the kind words but I can`t do a thing with a harmonica so I don`t think you would want me in your band playing one...As far as experience goes a person usually gets it from being OLD, which I am, I have been lucky to have been around some of the great pickers in the DC, Md. and northern Va. area....Most of them are gone now and that saddens me but nothing to do about if except make new friends which I try to do every day....I guess if I hadn`t of had a family to takes care of I could have traveled with some bands and might have been well known as some of the pickers on here, I have picked some gigs with some of he "Big Boys" but I`m sure no one really remembers me, like Reno and Smiley, Dell McCoury, Bill Harrell just to name a few...No long stints with any of them due to, like I said, I had a family to support and hat is what I chose to do and just played locally....and still do....

Sorry to get off of the subject.....Willie

Even if you find harmonica players at bluegrass festivals as pesky as the mosquitoes that come out to feast, listen to this different approach that uses the chromatic (instead of the usual diatonic) harmonica. The banjo player on Blackberry Blossom is Pat Cloud. (If the URL gets messed up, go to SoundCloud and search for David Naiditch or search for my recently posted videos on YouTube).

http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bful...david+naiditch

Blackberry Blossom and The Lovers' Waltz are 2 of the 12 tunes on my new "Harmonica Bluegrass" CD. Besides Pat Cloud, there is guitarist/mandolinist Eric Uglum, bassist Austin ward, and guitarist Steve Trovato. For more information, visit: http://davidnaiditch.com

I play the harmonica and guitar and love the mandolin, so just joined Mandolin Cafe after hearing there is even a harmonica thread!

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Seems chromatic is the way to go. Your phrasing is far superior to most of the diatonic examples given here. But I would like to hear you on material that offers more elbowroom for improvisation. Blackberry Blossom is a tune I avoid, don't know what to do with it.

Very nice stuff! I I really enjoyed that. Great to hear Pat Cloud playing, too. It's been a while.

Registered User Bob Scrutchfield's Avatar

I play harmonica too but only when I'm out fishing... alone.

This is a good discussion and somehow I keep getting the image of John Belushi busting up that seriously bad folk singer's Guitar in the Animal House movie.

Those darn Harmonica players get angry with me when I pull out my Juice Harp.....
    Rover RM-75 F Style
    Kentucky 380S A Model
    Washburn A Model
    Washburn Bowlback Model 71- circa 1891

" There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. "
    ~ Claude Debussy - Composer

The harmonica, much like the violin, is an instrumental voice and while not a traditional or often used instrument should be able to be played in a bluegrass jam venue. If that does not work, try a jaw harp. It only has one reed.

In my opinion,,what's wrong with harmonica players besides being obnoxious,is that they never know when to stop....

Blog Entries

Really old thread. The question wasn't answered then, probably never will be. Whether SPBGMA likes it or not, bluegrass is like any other genre; there are as many opinions about what bluegrass is as there are people who play it.

David Naiditch, who posted back in 2011 on this page of this thread a few replies up, is a treasured friend of ours (as is Pat Cloud), and he's always welcomed at any jam we're at. He's well known and well loved in the LA/IE bluegrass community and really helps define bluegrass out here.

Another great harmonica player, a cross-harpist, and double bass player was recently the president of one of the local associations. There's no problem with quality harmonica players out here.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Check out Horseshoes And Hand Grenades. While they arent a "Bluegrass" band, they play some bluegrass. Their harmonica player also doubles as a, wait for it... accordion player (reference to much earlier comments). He knows when to stop and back off. All is possible in the right hands.

17. The following members say thank you to Willem for this post:

There was a very good local band called “The Rimfire Ramblers” (I still really like the name!) which back in the early/mid’70’s had an excellent harmonica player, the late Tom Humphreys he understood how to make it tasteful. I was inspired to learn more about bluegrass music by that band and, a few others but, that band was a great group! Some of the guys are still dear friends, some have passed, some have moved away.
    Back then, before the days of electronic tuners, they were almost the only band that stayed at pitch all day/all night too!
    If you can find a copy of “The Stringbean Memorial Bluegrass Festival” album (Old Homestead records, I think) there is a cut of “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” which was one of the first tunes I learned because of Bill Halsey’s opening break. Pete Humphreys, guitar, lead singer, is Tom’s brother. Gary Kenyon, banjo. Glen Blankenship, bass. These guys were and still are friends of mine and the “unique” addition of Tom’s harmonica is a sound that I miss very much.
    That WAS Bluegrass, no if’s, ands, or but’s!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett