Thread: 1929 Martin 5-17P

Default 1929 Martin 5-17P

Hi all,

I am new to this forum in that I just got my first tenor. I have played 6-string guitar for 30 years.

It is a 1929, 15-frets clear of the body, tenor guitar, and body-size wise matches the size 5 Martin dimension as indicated in one of the Maritn history books.

I am wonder, what many others have asked, what tunning would be best (currently in ADGC) and which strings. Measuring the scale it is a 23 inch scale, if I am measuring correctly (from the saddle to the nut).

Any help is appreciated. Will stay tuned in to this forum.

Thanks,

Cigar36

Default Re: 1929 Martin 5-17P

Sounds really cool. We love pictures around here. I tune my Martin O18 T GDAE (top to bottom) like an octave mandolin. The tuning you use is really just a personal preference. Some tunings work better for different applications. For example, CGDA works great for accompanying Texas style fiddle, etc.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

I thought the "P" stood for "plectrum". ?? 23" sure sounds tenor-ish, though. Personally I would stay with tenor guitar strings tuned the way you have it. It would help to know what kind of music you play on it; different musics sometimes call for different tunings.

[QUOTE=delsbrother;861019]I thought the "P" stood for "plectrum". ?? 23" sure sounds tenor-ish, though"

You are correct delsbrother I added the "P" due to the 15 frets.. Frankly that's what puzzles me. It has 15 frets clear of the body (not 12 or 14) so I am assuming that it is a "P". Yet when I measure the scale, it is 23 inches.

Can anyone shed light on this" I should add that the length of the guitar is 34 inches.

Cigar36

Found the answer to my own question. My guitar is a 1929 5-17T, which came with the standard 15 frets clear of the body.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1932-Martin-Tenors.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	65165

I have tried to attache the ad.

Cigar36

Found the answer to my own question. My guitar is a 1929 5-17T, which came with the standard 15 frets clear of the body.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1932-Martin-Tenors.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	65165

I have attached the ad.

Cigar36