Thread: On electric mandolins. again.

Blog Entries

Default On electric mandolins. again.

hi there everyone. sorry for another thread, i know i said in the last one i started it would be my last. let me explain. since i posted that last mandobird/mandocaster thread, ive had a few months to think about this. and well, i have changed my mind. i considered that the mandocaster and mandobird both need work done to them, and that theyre not the best out there, but good for their price. and then i decided to take.. i believe it was.. tom wright's advice on electric mandolin. if the mandolin is better, it eliminates equipment related excuses for how one plays. and then i can get a cheaper amp, as he also said. i don't want to regret not getting a better one either. so i think now im going for the jbovier els electric. its a big price change, i know, so ill see what i do about that. but i think that the better the instrument, the easier it might be to play (of course it GREATLY and MAINLY depends on the player, but i think the instrument counts for something). I don't really want a custom made one, maybe later on in life, but not now, seeing as i am a beginner in electric mandolins. i've only heard good things about the new jboviers, about the sound and the feel, and the look of that els is the one i most like of any electric mandolin ive seen so far. so yep, just wanted to say that. i hope all goes well with this, i feel a little.. nervous about how it will turn out.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Default Re: On electric mandolins. again.

still waiting til xmas before you buy one?

Blog Entries

well, yep, i think so. i might get it sooner, not sure, might have to so that it arrives by christmas, i live kinda far away from elderly instruments, where im thinking of getting it from. the christmas thing was so i could save money, and also because i kinda have a thing of not really buying anything big like well, a mandolin except on christmas and birthdays. what do you think of my decision?
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

on your decision to wait for a birthday or christmas - do what feels best to you.
    on your decision to get a jboviers . i have only heard good things as well but i have never held or heard one so i can not comment to their quality . as well i have not purchased from elderly so i can not comment on them either.

perhaps you should post a thread asking how people like their jboviers now that they have had them for awhile.

best of luck with your purchase sorry i could not give you any pertinent advice

Blog Entries

I like the JBoviers. I played three of them at NAMM and greatly annoyed the great Al Dimeola in doing so!
    All were excellent construction and sounded wonderful through an AER amp. I love that Jeff C has spent so much time thinking about the pickups and the weak E string issues most other emandos have. Very good choice!

I'll be getting myself a 5 string one of these days!

Daniel

I've heard nothing but nice things about emandos from Schwab, and there is a nice looking one in the classifieds for $1,100.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

I have purchased a Mandobird, as well as a custom 5 string, and I do not regret either purchase. The Mandobird is in mandola tuning, which may be the reason I do not experience the often-complained-about "weak E" problem, but to be honest, it was not a problem I noticed in mandolin tuning either. The Mandobirds are so cheap that I have not bothered getting rid of mine, despite not playing it much since I bought the '5.' Wouldn't yield much MAS fuel!
    Johneeaaddgg

I looked really, really hard at the JBoviers, but I decided to go with a custom J.L. Smith and have no regrets. They're not much more $$$, eat peanut butter for a few weeks. I like to be able to call or e-mail the real human being who's making it. Plus, I have a collection of "telecaster-shaped" instruments, can't go wrong there. My next purchase may be a Moongazer (I've built piles of Warmoth & USACustom-wooded guitars) or else a really different, custom octo/baritone one. Five-string 18-incher with a scalloped fretboard, anyone?

http://www.jlsmithmandolins.com/

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stubhead View Post
    Five-string 18-incher with a scalloped fretboard, anyone?
    So.....I`m not the only one - after building a couple of Yngwe style Strats a while back, I loved the feel and wondered if anyone had used scalloped boards on mandolins (started a thread a while back but nobody responded). A "MiniMalmsteen" is one of those nasty little projects that lurk within :-)

Hi
    I wish Warmouth would start doing emando parts!!!
    That would be very cool
    Craig

My next mando purchase will probably be a 4-string, JBovier EMC(Vintage Cream with maple fretboard).

I have an old Les Paul amp that needs some ON time.

Jazz chords gotta be easier on an electric 4-string(?)
    I hope.

Tony,I was hoping to find more discussion of e-mandos.

Thanks!

I've never owned an electric mando.
    Last edited by Michael Cameron; Nov-08-2010 at 12:50am.

Blog Entries

Michael,
    me neither! this will be my first emando. as for discussion, i've done my share of discussing on past threads, which is why im somewhat hesitant of annoying people with more threads and questions. luckily everyone here is very friendly. but if you want to bring something up, well, go ahead! what do you mean by jazz chords? are there some chords that are more used in jazz than others?
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Michael, I do find the 4 string emandos to be easier to fret cleanly, much like the difference in acoustic and electric guitars, mainly because of the difference in string tension. The string spacing is a little different but it only takes a little

Tony, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Bovier! I went the mandobird route for my first (and thus far only) emando, and it fills all of my needs well, but my needs aren't exquisite and I didn't have the e string issue, my bridge was in the correct place, etc. The Bovier acoustics I've played have all been very good (granted, I've only played 3 or 4, but still), and I wouldn't expect any less from the electrics...
    Chuck

Blog Entries

well i've got a question. to those of you who have electric mandolins. what do you usually play on them? i mean ive got some idea of what i'll play once i get mine, there's many rock songs i hope i can play on it, mandolin songs too, and even classical stuff i play on my violin. and surely i'll just improv a bit too, maybe jam with a friend of mine who plays the base, but i'd like to know if there's anything specific you like playing or would recommend to play.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Quote Originally Posted by TonyEarth View Post
    Michael,
    me neither! this will be my first emando. as for discussion, i've done my share of discussing on past threads, which is why im somewhat hesitant of annoying people with more threads and questions. luckily everyone here is very friendly. but if you want to bring something up, well, go ahead! what do you mean by jazz chords? are there some chords that are more used in jazz than others?
    Me not annoyed,Earthling. I am learning from your posts.

I guess by jazz chords I meant diminished,cool-sounding chords that are a little more complicated/interesting(to my mind) than more basic stuff.

Here's a youtube that I was watching. The chords are going along in a nice progression right up to the G6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDOt...eature=related

I'm hoping an e-mando will help me be able to play a little longer at a time. I'm getting decrepit in my old age.

The Mandobird continues to interest me. I know the neck is narrow and slim.

Blog Entries

ah i see. cool video, im gonna have to learn those chords. i was extremely interested in the mandobird too, later the mandocaster. then i decided to go for the jbovier, changed my mind from comments and suggestions from the mandolin cafe.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Sometimes ya just gotta jump in and come to your own conclusions. Education is always expensive if it's good. Worth it.

There's always something new to try on mandolin. I'm looking forward to getting an electric. No 5th string for me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cameron View Post

I'm hoping an e-mando will help me be able to play a little longer at a time. I'm getting decrepit in my old age.

The Mandobird continues to interest me. I know the neck is narrow and slim.
    you should find electric mando very easy on the fingers you can go ultra light gauge with the strings to the point where if you do more than touch them they will bend sharp. had no major problems with my mandobirds now sold ,other than a little set up refinement . fairly standard with lower end instruments . ps real light strings need real low action

rico,I don't think I want to go too light. I am used to J74 or 75. I'm thinking the pickups on the JBovier may give a broader spectrum of sound choices than the Mandobird;I don't know. I'm hoping the JB neck with maple board is narrow and slick.

I'm sure the string spacing will take some getting used to. It's a whole 'nother mando in 4-string electric.

I have a nice ,old Les Paul tube amp that I know sounds good with electric guitar;and,I have run a keyboard/vocals through it too. It hums a bit;but the tremolo on it sounds nice/variable speed.