Thread: European Travel with Mandolin -- UPDATE

Default European Travel with Mandolin -- UPDATE

In the last 48 hrs or so (since I posted previous thread, and got feedback), I've had time to imagine having a mandolin along while travelling in Europe for a coupla months.

And I'm thinking, "Yah" -- of course it'll be great (and worth any hassle) to have a mandolin along, especially as I'm travelling solo. I'll just have to be prudent . . . .

Also I'm thinking "Doh" -- what was I thinking . . . that I could be without an instrument for over 2 months (!!)

Now I'm wishing it were safe enough to consider bringing along an "A-Game" mandolin . . . . Too risky . . . . Have to be content with Collings MT . . . . Not cheap but easily replaced and a credible instrument.

Who knows, I may even try busking . . . . Anyone here have any experience in this?

Default Re: European Travel with Mandolin -- UPDATE

I have busked all over Europe with mixed results.... Was even taken to the city limits by the Guarda Civil and thrown out of town in Spain... And then again I once found myself shoeless and some cops bought me some shoes as a present... very mixed results... A Collins MT sounds pretty damn fine to me....

Delighted to hear you made the right decision dude!!

Is Ireland on your agenda???
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Did you consider purchasing a cheap good quality mando over here? For example if Amsterdam is your first stop, at Berkelmusiek on the Spui they have a couple of reasonable choices (Kentucky, Eastman, Epiphone). You could also post a "wanted" in the Classifieds here with your specs and destination, someone at your first city may have just what you want.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too risky". I don't think street crime or hotel room robberies are any worse over here than in the USA. If you're staying in a shared dormitory room they typically have lockers, these can be fairly easy to force, so that could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by newby View Post

Now I'm wishing it were safe enough to consider bringing along an "A-Game" mandolin . . . . Too risky . . . . Have to be content with Collings MT . . . .
    Collings is a great mandolin. One can get as much enjoyment out of a little martin backpacker or pancake or anything else for that matter. You determine which 'game' you bring, not the mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    ...snip...One can get as much enjoyment out of a little martin backpacker or pancake or anything else for that matter. You determine which 'game' you bring, not the mandolin.
    Man, this is a GREAT point, and one I'm afraid we don't express enough on these forums.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Oooops . . . I didn't mean to slag Collings, in general, nor the MT, in particular . . . honest! However, there are even better mandolins available. Mandolins which both cost a lot more AND which take a lot more time and trouble to replace. I know this from experience: I waited nearly 3 yrs for my last custom-ordered mandolin. By contrast, I ordered the MT over the Internet and had it in 3 days.

Also, re: " . . . the game you bring . . . " -- right on! I once heard John Reischman in a workshop play a friend's inexpensive Kentucky and make it sing. However, he did hand it back, and continued the class with his Heiden. Also, I've spent many happy hours playing my Breedlove Quartz while on a canoe trip, glad to have a mandolin along. However, I was happier when I returned home and was able to play my better mandolins again -- mandolins only a rich fool would risk on a canoe trip.

Last point: I find that when playing in a large jam, the "value and quality" of a mandolin is revealed. My MT sounds very good when I'm playing alone, but gets lost in the mix in a jam.