Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiscox mandolin case

Default Re: Hiscox mandolin case

I have forwarded this thread to them..
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

While this thread has been in progress, I have received an invitation to purchase the Hiscox mandolin case through a musiquip rep. I asked about the weight and was told that it is about 7 pounds. I'm ordering some and will report my impressions. Looks interesting and solves the storage space complaint that people have with the Eastman case.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

I forgot to add: Does anyone know how to pronounce Hiscox without risking strange looks from people who don't what you are referring to?
    Rolfe Gerhardt

Hi Rolfe,
    I can only guess that you are saying His-cox, try Hiss-cox
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Rolfe - Many thanks for the info.on the weight,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I knew Trevor would have a good answer.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

Hi all,

Erik here from Musiquip. We're the USA distributor of Hiscox Cases.

The Hiscox Pro II mandolin case (for A and F styles) has indeed just arrived in North America for distribution to our authorized Hiscox dealers. Suggested retail price is $249. Empty weight is 7.5 lbs.

If you have any specific questions re: the case, please don't hesitate to email info@musiquip.com. A (growing) list of authorized USA dealers can be found here: http://www.musiquip.com/hscx_dlr.html.

(For any Canadians, Hiscox cases are distributed in Canada by SF Marketing: www.sfm.ca.

Not hard at all Scott. Just took me a minute to register. In the interest of full disclosure - I am the GM for Musiquip, the US distributor for Hiscox in the US and appreciate the opportunity to clear up some facts about our new Mandolin cases. These arrived in the country just today as a matter of fact. Authorized Hiscox dealers in the US can be found here: http://www.musiquip.com/hscx_dlr.html. The specifications for the case are as follows:

Empty Weight 3.4Kg
    Length 800mm 31.5 inch
    Width 335mm 13.25 inch ( including Handle and Feet= 360mm 14.25 inch )
    Height 160mm 6.25 inch

The company stands behind their statement that this case can resist a crush event of up to 1000 pounds.

The comment regarding the "arch" for the bridge in the guitar cases is quite correct, and the Mandolin case also sports this feature. We tested over 40 Mandolins in this case, and all were clear in the bridge area.

Official pictures from the website: http://www.hiscoxcases.com/mandolin_hiscox.htm

I hope you and your community will find this information helpful. I have been thrilled with the Hiscox product line, and am certain that the Mandolin case will meet all expectations one would have from such a well respected manufacturer.

Thanks very much for giving me the opportunity to post here.

JMK

Hi Eric and JMK,

Great to hear from you both. One thing that I know will come up when people evaluate the Hiscox case will be whether a mandolin with a Tone-Gard fits comfortably/safely in the case. This is something the manufacturer might want to look into.
    Marc B.

Along with many other brands, we are dealers for Hiscox. The place in Florida was the original North American distributor. Back in the Spring, Hiscox changed distributors and now Musiquip is the authrized distributor for North America. We are an approved Musiquip dealer for Hiscox cases.

The Mandolin cases have just arrived at Musiquip this morning,and I'm expecting my first shipment at the end of this week, or first of the following. The price is $199, plus shipping. I will only have 4 in this first order, so first come first serve. They are not yet up on our site, but can be preordered by phone.

Steve
    Colorado Case Company
    1713 East Lincoln Ave., Suite A6
    Fort Collins, CO 80524
    fax 970.266.1905
    www.coloradocase.com

Peter Goalby, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hiscox in the UK, tells me the cases are already available at some dealers in Britain, and that the suggested retail price is £99.

The quick response to my enquiry through their website is unusually switched-on by British standards - and the price strikes me as very reasonable, if the claims about quality are to be believed (and a visit to their website lists a very impressive display of highly complimentary customer feedback, much of it from makers of high-end guitars).

ron

The Hiscox Guitar cases are very well made & apart from the lack of storage space inside,there's nothing to criticise. The Mandolin case appears to be very well made as well & if the top is as crush proof as has been stated then they should be well received.
    I've rather fallen out with the rectangular style of case,that's why my TKL "American Vintage Series" case is redundant due to my preference (mainly on a weight & volume basis), for cases such as the Travelite. For those for whom weight & overall size isn't an issue,the Hiscox case seems as good as they get & i wish them luck,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Has anyone received their cases yet?

I'm impatiently awaiting mine, ups says it was just shipped on Friday............aurggg

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Hasn't reached Scotland yet but I checked one out while in Leeds recently. A very substantial and well-made case. I might very well buy one when I get the chance to try my mandolins in one. My Nava ought to fit but my National may be a bit of a squeeze looking at the measurements.

I would be interested in how well a F model fits in this case. The ease of movement may concern me so I am awaiting reviews
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

I hope that re.internal dimensions, that they've gone down the TKL path ie.a case that fits 'standard' & slightly over-sized instruments.
    My Travelite takes my over-sized Lebeda perfectly & takes my Weber Fern with room to spare,but no way will my Lebeda fit my Eastman Violin style case. My now redundant TKL also takes both with ease,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I am suppose to have my case per UPS tracking this Friday...................someone that was to have shipped it last Thursday dropped the ball

Blog Entries

My Hiscox mandolin case arrived this afternoon. Thanks UPS.

Bought mine from Finecases.com, special order. I was concerned about the fit of the mandolin but my Dearstone F5 fits perfect with its tone guard and there's no pressure on the bridge. It has 3 thick pads surrounding the body of the mandolin that seems to allow for a variety of mandolin sizes, but don't quote me on that. It just fits!

Its very well built and the first thing I did before I put the mando in was to stand on the case and i'm about 220 lbs of luvability and while I did see a small deflection in the top center it was very small and I had all of the luvability right there. Everywhere else there was nothing I could do to move this case. This inner pocket is pretty large and has the lid build in to the top of the case, i.e. open the case you open the compartment. I put the mando in the case, shut the lid and nothing moved and I shook it like a pinata.

Overall I'm very impressed, I wanted something that I could rely on that was almost Calton bullet proof without the 600 smacker price and I think this fits the bill. BTW, the case I had been using was a Rec TKL, also a good case that looks very classy but I wouldn't stand on the lid for very long and it had the tendency to be easily knocked down when sitting on the floor.

The Hiscox is nothing to look at but I think it'll serve its purpose and keep the mandolin safe and secure

It cost me about $220 including tax, shipped to TN.

Hope this helps.

My batch of four arrived a couple of days ago when I was too busy to get online and report. What Sachmo says about it is right on. My Phoenix mandolins fit fine. The quality is good. The hardware is decent quality. The top and back fit together with a good seal, and I would not worry about taking out into a rain storm. When the lid is open, it stays up properly. The balance of the case sitting flat or standing on edge is very good. There is plenty of storage space, at least compared to the form-fitted cases. The case with mandolin is not too heavy. Only a few airlines will allow it to be carried on, but the new rules make that true for almost all cases, and I would trust this case in the luggage compartment. Two quibbles: at that price they should include a shoulder strap and I would prefer a soft pad between the bottom of the case and the tip of the headstock. Right now there is a gap between the headstock and the bottom of the case engineered so because the company thinks that compression shock might cause damage if the headstock touches the case bottom. My take is that compression shock is not a problem with this case and there is more likely to be damage from whiplash. They are pondering this.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

Quote Originally Posted by im_erik View Post
    Hi all,

Erik here from Musiquip. We're the USA distributor of Hiscox Cases.

The Hiscox Pro II mandolin case (for A and F styles) has indeed just arrived in North America for distribution to our authorized Hiscox dealers. Suggested retail price is $249. Empty weight is 7.5 lbs.

If you have any specific questions re: the case, please don't hesitate to email info@musiquip.com. A (growing) list of authorized USA dealers can be found here: http://www.musiquip.com/hscx_dlr.html.

(For any Canadians, Hiscox cases are distributed in Canada by SF Marketing: www.sfm.ca.
    I am a Canadian and one who's starting to get a bit frustrated. I emailed SF Marketing and got no response. I emailed their representative for British Columbia and got no response. Sure, I could order one from the U.S. and wind up paying close to double the retail price for it.

Erik if you're still reading this thread, I'd appreciate any adivce on how a Canadian can get one of these cases in Canada.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Mine arrived yesterday. I needed something for travelling by air and my Gary Nava 2-point which is a little bigger in the body than most mandos fits perfectly. I can also just about squeeze my National RM-1 in though that already has a substantial original case. The Hiscox is a very strong and substantial case and will stand up well on the road. I've read Rolfe's comments and agree with them except that with my mandolins fitting is very snug so I don't think whiplash will be a problem. Maybe an additional moveable pad at the headstock end would be a good idea though. I fortunately had some spare shoulder straps but it would have been nice if one had been included. All-in-all an excellent case.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    I am a Canadian and one who's starting to get a bit frustrated. I emailed SF Marketing and got no response. I emailed their representative for British Columbia and got no response. Sure, I could order one from the U.S. and wind up paying close to double the retail price for it.

Erik if you're still reading this thread, I'd appreciate any adivce on how a Canadian can get one of these cases in Canada.
    Hi Mandolirius,

Forward me a copy of your email at info@musiquip.com and I'll ensure it gets into the right hands, and that you hear back from someone!

Cheers,

Erik
    Musiquip Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by im_erik View Post
    Hi Mandolirius,

Forward me a copy of your email at info@musiquip.com and I'll ensure it gets into the right hands, and that you hear back from someone!

Cheers,

Erik
    Musiquip Inc.

Hi Erik - Thanks for you offer to help. I tried to forward the email to you but it didn't go through for some reason. I did, however, receive an email from SF's rep for B.C. and was able to order one through a local music store which happens to be right around the corner from where I live. I should have it by next week.

I saw yesterday,that the Hiscox mandolin cases are available from Hobgoblin Music in the UK at a cost of £89.00 UK ( $133.50 US),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Does anyone have pictures of the case with a f style mandolin in it? From the looks I am curious how the mandolin stays in place as you carry it.
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)