Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiscox mandolin case

Default Hiscox mandolin case

I was wondering about these the web sight makes them look like a great travel/flight option. Does anyone have an idea on the cost and any U.S> dealers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hiscox mandolin case

From their Website, they only have a Canadian distributor. I didn't see anything about mandolin cases there either.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I didn't see anything on their sight on mandolin cases either, but on the "Guardian flight case" thread "satchmo" posted a picture of a mandolin case they made. Maybe its a modified case or a custom order? http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...757126&thumb=1

http://axe-essories.com/ seems to be the USA distributor for the Hiscox guitar, saxaphone and violin cases. No mandolin cases though...

I found a number of UK shops selling the case but nothing in the US.
    Marc B.

Blog Entries

There was a guy on the Martin Forum but he is out of business according to his post on UMGF.com
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Blog Entries

finecases.com is a Hiscox dealer and I special ordered a Mandolin case from them. Very easy transaction, I believe the case is shipping from the UK and will take a week or so to get here. There is a picture of this case floating around somewhere, it looks pretty nice. I'm just concerned about mandolin fit......we'll see. If its built anything like they're guitar cases it should be a great buy...

If you look at the hiscox web page go to dealers and one of them has the picture of the case but you gotta look. Its Rectangular and the mandolin sets a catti-corneer which make a pretty large compartment for your stuff.

The reason for my purchase was the thermal protection as well as the strength. To me i'll get the strength of a calton, and the weight of a much smaller case.

Mandolin case $199.00......I live in TN so they charged me tax but no shipping. I'll let ya'll know when it gets here.....

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Case pics I've found:

Larry

Blog Entries

Yep those are the one's....its not very fancy but.....!

Not very much headstock support, what are you thoughts....

Blog Entries

Too little crush depth. If the top gives way the mando top is gone. Needs two or three inches of flex room for a non-rigid outside, like Anvil or Star cases, and they are pretty stout even on the flat areas. Either carry on or pony up a few hundred $.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

judging by they're youtube video the crush issue is the least of the problems. They have 1100lbs on the guitar case and one guy was standing directly on top of the bridge area....

You can't do that with an ordinary case.....

i'm just sayin....

Blog Entries

If the mandolin case is the 2.5mm thickness it's decent. But the guitar case has inherent strength because of the arching shape, which the mando case lacks.

If I was a regular traveling musician I would pay rather more than the modest price these go for, and if it was a one-off one can simply package as if for shipping, double-boxed, bubble wrap, etc. A friend brought his amp to the Banf jazz festival that way. He carried his fiddle on. Guitar players have less choice.

Now, for just an all-around case it looks like a good deal.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
    There was a guy on the Martin Forum but he is out of business according to his post on UMGF.com
    If it is the same guy I am thinking of, he died.
    raulb

c. '37 Dobro mandolin
    '53 Martin Style A
    '78 Ibanez 524 F-style
    '98 Graham McDonald guitar body bouzouki
    '08 Trinity College TM-275 Mandola

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are. --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

They do look to be a very nicely made case,but i sincerely hope that the top is more rigid than the tops of their Guitar cases.I have a Hiscox Guitar case & the top deflects quite a bit under even a slight pressure,but it's still ok as long as it's not banged really hard or crushed. I'd have liked to have seen the neck support a little closer to the headstock though,it looks a little bit too vulnerable to me,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Looks nice and I will check one out when next in London. My Hiscox guitar case has survived many trips in checked in baggage and the mandolin case should be strong and relatively stiff being smaller dimensions. I personally haven't seen an arched Hiscox guitar case as referred to by Tom Wright... what model is that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    ...arched Hiscox guitar case as referred to by Tom Wright... what model is that?
    I checked the web site and it looked like the guitar cases had some arch for the bridge.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

I got some info on the hiscox mandolin case today. there u.s. distributor is musiquip. www.misiquip.com should have a link for dealers. The retail on the mandolin case is $249 so it would probably come in at under $200 street. He also said they would be getting their first mandolin case shipment on friday

Blog Entries

adizz, very cool. As I've said i'm getting mine through finecases.com as of Friday they didn't yet have a ship date. I paid $199 and if they're getting them through misiquip I should have it soon.

I really hope its as nice as I hope, It would suck to send it back.

I also saw the guardian banjo case and I too thought it was very nicely built and very calton-esq. If the hiscox doesn't work out i'll look at that one.

My Wal bass has been in its Hiscox for nearly 30 years and seen its fair share of travel. Its a great case and has held up superbly over the years.

Mandolin cases made by Hiscox cases are a new addition to the Hiscox range. They are now available from Roy Courtnall (www.guitarplans.co.uk) and he ships to all countries including the USA. See this link::

http://www.guitarplans.co.uk/HiscoxPages/mandolin.htm

Purely as a matter of interest,what does an empty Hiscox Mandolin case weigh in at ??,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinperson View Post
    Mandolin cases made by Hiscox cases are a new addition to the Hiscox range. They are now available from Roy Courtnall (www.guitarplans.co.uk) and he ships to all countries including the USA. See this link::

http://www.guitarplans.co.uk/HiscoxPages/mandolin.htm
    It appears you may possibly be a representative of Hiscox. If so, that's fine. We welcome industry representatives but ask they clearly identify themselves as such in their signature per the board guidelines:

- Vendors: for the good of our community we ask that all vendors of mandolin/music related products/services exercise good faith in clearly identifying themselves. Vendor participation is welcome and valued, and we expect you to be involved in discussions of your products. Visitors to the site arrive from all over the world and possess widely varying amounts of knowledge, expertise and experience with our subject matter. This is an international web site for mandolin, not a country-specific web site. All visitors should be able to clearly discern a business relationship at all times in discussions of products sold in the retail market.

Blog Entries

On a related note, I've had contact from this company recently but find the availability of written and photographic information on their web site to be lacking in what I think is adequate for a consumer to begin to make any kind of informed decision. There's certainly not enough information to publish a news release or I would have already. Trevor Moyle at Acoustic Music Company told me he has seen these in person and may wish to add his voice.

Scott,
    I have suggested that they get one to you as soon as possible..
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    Scott,
    I have suggested that they get one to you as soon as possible..
    Not necessary.

All they'd have to do to answer some of the questions being asked here is to either post the information on their web site or appear here in person themselves to answer them.

Really, how hard can that be?