Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456728 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Blog Entries

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Attached are pictures of Northfield #67. I recently traded #34 for #67. The playability of the modern style Northfield is better for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020111_1.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	66514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020112_1.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	66515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020108_1.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	66516  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020110_1.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	66517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020109_1.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	66518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020113_1.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	66519  

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Please let me know what I can do to explain any of the points better or if you require additional information.
    Hi Adrian...
    Are you folks going to be at NAMM?
    Thanks....

Sorry, we will not be exhibiting at NAMM. But a few of our instruments might be making it around the hall over the course of the show. Maybe we'll spring for a booth next year. We will have a few instruments at the SPGMA conference in February, setup in the Elderly booth.

Thanks....

Blog Entries

Wanted to keep this thread active due to the remarkable Northfield Mandolin Giveaway taking place at the end of this month here on the Cafe.

I just spent some time looking at the Northfields currently available at Elderly. Wow, what impressive pictures and specs! Especially those blacktops! Stunning.

I quickly looked through this thread, and I don't think we've had any owners comment yet on the Northfield NF-A5. Man, what a beauty! (see below). If it sounds as good as it looks, what a value at $1500!

Finally, one question and one comment for Adrian:
    * Any chance of adding oval hole or 2-Point mandolins to the line at some point down the road?
    * Why the Schaller reverse-style tuners?!...I hate those things! With my only experience using them I had a hard time getting used to the reverse gears, and they slipped like crazy. However, I'm sure I'll learn to live with them if I win on the 31st!

Northfield Blacktop NF-A5 Master Model Mandolin, Varnish Finish

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Northfield versus The Loar - any comparisons?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    I just spent some time looking at the Northfields currently available at Elderly. Wow, what impressive pictures and specs! Especially those blacktops! Stunning.
    x2. Stunning indeed! I'll have to play a few on my next trip to Elderly.

Thumbs up Re: Northfield mandolins

Ok all………………..I started this thread along with the Blue Chip pick thread and am only going to praise something I think personally needs to be praised. I have been looking at the Elderly website on these Northfields for about a couple of years now. I only had the pictures on their website to make my assessment. I thought……….man……..the fit and finish looks great………..but how about sound and playability. I recently went to the IBMA as I do every year in Nashville and stopped by the Elderly booth. There were three Northfields there among other mandolins including a July 9th Loar. My longtime friend and once band mate, and F5 Journal editor, Darryl Wolfe was there admiring these mandolins. He looked at me and said about the stain on the mandolins, “That look is dead on a July 9th”! He also commented that he really liked the sound of them. Well, obviously I had to grab one and start playing one……………………….the rest was “throat grabbing” tone that only I get when I play an exceptional quality instrument. It was noisy in that big exhibit hall but still I could hear and play one of these great instruments. Well, I went home that night just thinking about the extreme high quality of workmanship, tone, volume and looks of this mandolin. So, the next couple of days, I got on the internet on Northfields website to lust some more on these incredible instruments. I then made the decision to put one on order at Elderly. That was in October, and I proceeded to try and contact someone affiliated with Northfield. Well, my friend Matthew Goins with BlueChip picks knew Clay Hess that plays a Northfield, and Clay gave me Adrian Beagle’s phone number (“The Man” behind these wonderful F-5s). I contacted Adrian and he told me in a few phone calls back and forth how much passion he had for doing these mandolins. He told me about the high quality of Michigan maple, Adirondack spruce, spirit and oil varnish, and the high quality of workmanship that is going into these mandolins. Well, he and I have been exchanging phone calls for over a month and a half, and he had told me that he had gotten in his shop F-5 number #74. He had taken it to Elderly prior to Christmas, and they sent it to me last week, I got it on 12\29. When I opened the case………………MMMMMM…..I knew this was something extraordinary!!!. I tuned it up to pitch, and said WOW……………………This can’t be this good. I sat there looking at it some more and the price of this flashed in my head…………I can’t believe this. I knew this was a few notches above what I played at IBMA. I have owned three Gibson Master Models, a couple of new Gibson Ferns, a John Hutto F-5, a Dudenbostel, a couple of Duffs, and others that were all GREAT mandolins. But this Northfield, if not ever owning the previous has impressed me in all aspects of tone, playability, workmanship, and ………….price!!!!!!!!!! I could not be happier with a new instrument as I am with this Northfield. One other thing, I went and did some comparing with what else but a friend of mines, February 1923 Lloyd Loar, and …………….in my opinion the Northfield was 20 to 30% louder and had more pleasing tone to my ear. Not degrading the Loar at all, but……….in conclusion…………Adrian and the folks at Northfield…………….you have hit a home run and I hope you guys continue in this very high quality of an instrument in tone, volume and workmanship!!!!!!. Pictures to follow soon!!!!!!!!

I would like to hear from more Northfield owners who can voice their opinions on tone,etc!

Well I just put my name on the waiting list for a Northfield F5 modern spec. mandolin. Now I can't wait to play one of these.

Nick

Here's Aaron Ramsey with his Northfield mandolin, friends and the New Year's Day celebration we've attended for the past dozen years or so.

Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ramsey View Post
    Here's Aaron Ramsey with his Northfield mandolin, friends and the New Year's Day celebration we've attended for the past dozen years or so.

Sounds nice!

Finally, one question and one comment for Adrian:
    * Any chance of adding oval hole or 2-Point mandolins to the line at some point down the road?
    * Why the Schaller reverse-style tuners?!...I hate those things! With my only experience using them I had a hard time getting used to the reverse gears, and they slipped like crazy. However, I'm sure I'll learn to live with them if I win on the 31st!

Ed,

Hi. Sorry I missed your post earlier in the week.

Two Point: It certainly seems that we should be thinking about doing something here. I've seen your active post regarding two-point designs and I'm getting pretty inspired by the amount of enthusiasm surrounding the different variations. Have to think more on this.

Tuners: We've had great luck with Schallers. We have them made to our specs and then do some fine tuning to them on our end before putting them on an instrument. We've recently made new buttons and improved the functionality quite a bit. Schaller has been a nice company to work with over the years. If you end up winning that dandy mandolin and you're not happy with the tuners...we can work something out.

Blog Entries

Adrian, thanks for the thoughtful reply.
    It seems like you're committed to lots of hands-on attention to detail when it comes to your instruments (like having the tuners built to your specifications, and having them fine-tuned in your shoppe). I'm impressed.
    Thanks for the open ear regarding the concept of a Northfield 2-Point. I am fully aware that the introduction of a new model to your like would be a huge commitment.
    Thank you also for your support of the Mandolin Cafe community, and your generous participation in this month's Northfield mandolin giveaway promotion.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

You're welcome Ed. Glad to be a part of this great community of mandolin enthusiasts and always encouraged by questions and inquiries. Please let me know if you ever need more information...and I'll keep in touch regarding that 2-point idea.

For everyone's information: I just got off the phone with Aaron Ramsey of Mountain Heart. They're playing at The Ark in Ann Arbor, MI tomorrow night--plenty of live Northfield mandolin action to be experienced for any of those who have been wanting to see one of the Fs live. Aaron is an incredible player and I highly recommend all mandolin lovers to check him out. Will be quite a treat for me to sit back and listen!!!

Hey all.........Here is #74.......getting more incredible with every stroke of the Blue Chip Pick!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield F5 #74 Fnt.JPG 
Views:	445 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	67110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield F5 #74 Front body.JPG 
Views:	408 
Size:	354.7 KB 
ID:	67111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield F5 #74 Full back.JPG 
Views:	454 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	67112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield F5 #74 Back.JPG 
Views:	422 
Size:	330.7 KB 
ID:	67113

Howdy folks... I first discovered the Northfields when I saw Adam Steffey playing one at a Boxcars concert...looked up their website the next day and was very surprised to see how inexpensive they were...to make a long story shorter, got to know Adrian a little bit (who by the way was extremely nice and helpful the whole way), and finally placed an order on a F-5 Big Mon version. Well it (#71) arrived a couple days before Christmas and I haven't been able to put it down since!! Tone, playability, fit, finish, etc are even better than I expected and had heard. When my mando teacher Herschel Sizemore played it fresh out of the box(not broken in that is) I personally think it sounded just as good if not better than his Loars and his Altman! But I can say for sure that it was definitely LOUDER. After I've had the mando for several weeks, I've noticed that my playing has definitely improved and that I REALLY look forward to practicing (therefore I practice alot longer).
    Well, sorry for rambling. In short, I cannot recommend a Northfield enough!!!!! Unbelievable tone and playability!! Finish couldn't be better!! The prices on these mandolins are absolutely incredible...I would get one before they go up. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Alright eightnotepicker.............pics on the Big Mon

Eighthnotepicker............we are waiting for those pics of the Big Mon, and or video clip

When is the next batch gonna be ready?

Well, I guess it is mine turn to chime in on the Northfield mandolins. I became the proud and happy owner of #73 on December 31, 2010. I too had been checking these mandos out for some time; on the Elderly and Northfield sites, as well as the Cafe Forum. Finally, I decided I must have one. So on November 11, 2010, I called Elderly and put in my order; not really sure when I would actually receive this mandolin? Much to my surprise I received a call from Elderly December 23, 2010. As we were going out of town for the Holidays, I told them to hold off until after Christmas; and the rest is history. I could not be happier with my Northfield and the great customer service provided by Elderly; truly a winning combination.
    Thanks for your support?

Blog Entries

Northfolk, is #73 an F-style?
    I think we're still waiting to hear from someone who owns a Northfield A-style mandolin.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Northfolk, is #73 an F-style?
    I think we're still waiting to hear from someone who owns a Northfield A-style mandolin.
    Yes, mine is a NF-F5M traditional look F-style.
    Thanks for your support?

Quote Originally Posted by northfolk View Post
    Yes, mine is a NF-F5M traditional look F-style.
    Great, but how is the sound, etc?

Thumbs up Re: Northfield mandolins

All..........something I found out too was that Adam Steffey had played his Northfield on the whole Boxcars CD, pick up a copy............truly WONDERFUL!!!!