Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345627 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Blog Entries

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

Attached are a few more pictures of Northfield #34.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010988_1.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	64468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010986_1.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	64467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010983_1.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	64469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010982_1.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	64470

Beautiful! Congratulations! Any sound clips?

Blog Entries

I don't have any clips but here is a link to this mandolin being played by the previous owner. I just purchased this mandolin off ebay and very happy with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es5k_3Qo9Uk

Nice,informative website:

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com/site/

Beautiful instrument. I really like the inlay on the headstock, just left of the name. Very classy touch.

Default New Pictures: Northfield Fall Batch

Name:	#69 .jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	64525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fall Batch 1.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	64526Hi Everyone. Greetings from our shop. We just finished up our Fall batch of 4 mandolins and we're proud to say that it's definitely some of our best work ever. Each mandolin has a unique character and all have great woody tone. Included in the batch is our 4th "Big Mon" mandolin which is a little larger mando across the top. We put one of our brand new James tailpieces with engraved logo on it. I'm going to put pictures of each mandolin up on our website in the next few days. The fall batch includes serial #s 68 through 71. I'll try to record some audio of the mandolins too before they're all gone.

Hope everyone is having a great mandolin weekend... I know we are! All the best, Adrian

Northfield Mandolins are superb! I've checked out some of them at IBMA and I was really impressed by their rich and warm tone, great workmanship and playability, specially on the 'Big Mon' model. IMO surely one of the best deal on the market today.

Hi folks. Ive been busy of late and Im just now getting back on the web. I play mandolin for the Josh Williams Band and proudly play Northfield mandolins. I love the mandolin that I got from Adrian and the boys. The guys at Northfield are great to do business with. In my opinion you dont need a lifetime warranty; Like Adrian said, they build with a small group of guys and I believe with the smaller production line comes a closer relationship with you and the people that build your instrument. With these guys you do not have to worry about your mandolin. The finish on these mandolins are second to none and one can tell that time has been put into the construction process. The mandolin is true all the way up the neck and has great playability. I have played some Loars that cant hold a candle to my Northfield. The tone is killer and they have anough bark to cut through hard in a jam. I played a northfield at the ibma award show this year and while standing back stage the mando caught Ron Blocks attention. Ron said man that thing sounds big!!(Just a cool story to share with yall about how good these mandos sound).In my opinion ya cant beat these Northfield mandolins.

Nick Keen

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I don't know what the exact numbers are but there's an awful lot of instruments that aren't kept for a "lifetime" by the original owner. If the instrument is built well a warranty isn't all that important.
    I agree, but with so many original owners "not keeping" their instrument , Northfield would not have to honor the lifetime warranty anyway! I still believe that offering a lifetime warranty reflects a companies confidence in their product. On the other hand I know of several companies ( not instrument builders) that have offered lifetime warranties that either dissolved their company or simply re-organized under a new name that legally absolved them from honoring their lifetime warranty.

Anyone played the Northfield A5? I assume it sounds the same as the F but I have not read any mention of the A style.

Ok now...don't let this thread stay dormant. We needs some more pics, and some video and sound clips.....I know all about the ones on the Northfield site....I have worn them out watching and listening about every day. New owners start putting them on here.

Blog Entries

So its been a couple of weeks since the new batch has been completed....and where are they????? Hummmmmm? Where are the pictures Hummmm?????

Surely these newly Northfields havent gone into hibernation!!??

Hi Skittle. Thanks for keeping the thread alive! We had to take a little extra time to get them settled in. They were finished up around the middle of November, but the temperature really dropped and we wanted everything to acclimate right (especially the varnish). We also really improved our case interior, so that added a little time and gave us a chance to get the mandos played in a little bit before sending them out. They're just being delivered now and I think a couple of people have received their mandolins so far.

I'm just heading to Elderly today to bring 2 more: #70 an F with our modern set-up, and #72 a custom ordered black-top F, also with the modern set-up. Later in the month we'll be sending out another Big Mon version to a special order in VA. I've attached a few pictures per your request.

Hope all is well with everyone. Keep in touch and thanks again for all the great comments and encouragement. -Adrian www.northfieldmandolins.comClick image for larger version. 

Name:	_CSC1199.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	65725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1196.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	65726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1200.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	65727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1197.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	65728

I'm a little confused by your website. Where are these mandolins built?

From their website:
    "We have two shops, one in Qingdao for the primary building of the instrument and one in Michigan for design, testing and set-up/final detailing."
    Bill Snyder

I must have missed that.

O.....Yes Sir

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Hi Skittle. Thanks for keeping the thread alive! We had to take a little extra time to get them settled in. They were finished up around the middle of November, but the temperature really dropped and we wanted everything to acclimate right (especially the varnish). We also really improved our case interior, so that added a little time and gave us a chance to get the mandos played in a little bit before sending them out. They're just being delivered now and I think a couple of people have received their mandolins so far.

I'm just heading to Elderly today to bring 2 more: #70 an F with our modern set-up, and #72 a custom ordered black-top F, also with the modern set-up. Later in the month we'll be sending out another Big Mon version to a special order in VA. I've attached a few pictures per your request.

Hope all is well with everyone. Keep in touch and thanks again for all the great comments and encouragement. -Adrian www.northfieldmandolins.comClick image for larger version. 

Name:	_CSC1199.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	65725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1196.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	65726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1200.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	65727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1197.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	65728
    Nice-looking instruments!

I couldn't see any info on individual models on the site. What is the "Big Mon" version? Another question is, what is meant by a "modern setup"?

This is a little late, but I had the chance to hear Nick Keen play at a small venue with the Josh Williams Band. He is a very tasteful player. He values the tone of the note and spacing and does not try to overwhelm everyone with a slur of notes. His timing and technique are impecable. If you get a chance to see him, don't miss the chance. He was playing a Sim Daley that night, but I respect his opinion about the Northfields. Stan Werblin of Elderly has nothing but good things to say about them. At IBMA I was busy doing other business and did not get a chance to play them. I will next IBMA.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I went to the Northfield and Elderly websit but do not see a Big Mon model. Is the Big Mon a new model? Thank you, Nick
    ntriesch

I don't know about the Big Mon model. Adrian, is it about the size of a mandola, but still a mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
    I don't know about the Big Mon model. Adrian, is it about the size of a mandola, but still a mandolin?
    Just a guess... Big Mon is Bill Monroe's nickname and this might be a copy of his mandolin, I would assume, before the attack.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Folks, is the Northfield "Big Mon" model a larger mandolin? Or just carved a little different? I want a louder mandolin but not a huge mandolin. Nick
    ntriesch

Name:	_SLB0147.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	66512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck Varnish.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	66513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_SLB0147.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	66512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck Varnish.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	66513
    Hi Everyone,
    Our "Big Mon" Mandolin is something we created at our shop. It's a slightly different mandolin from our standard shape and we've accentuated the bass response and air movement by changing the body chamber a bit. We're offering these instruments directly through our company with a few custom options. We've made 6 to date and believe them to be some of the best instruments we've ever made.

The Big Mon body style is just slightly different than the standard size. We've increased the width of the body, at its widest point, by 5mm. We've also adjusted the depth/width of the sides a little in a few places. Everything is in proportion to this change, so it results in a slightly larger body overall. It's not very noticeable unless you compare it directly to another standard size by lining them up back to back. The change is subtle aesthetically. The re-curve carved into the top is extended a little and the top, out towards the edges, has been thinned a bit. All curves are maintained so that the shape is very pleasing to the eye. The body flows into the scroll, and in our mind, creates an even a nicer circular scroll, with a slightly larger button in the center. We've also changed the thickness for the back accordingly and vary that depending on the type of material we're using.

Overall we think that the sound produced favors a very throaty and growly mid range. We think it accentuates the D strings with a very airy and woody tone. You can really hear the air movement on this model and the volume and projection is different from the standard model.

We have a few different options on this model depending on the tone you're after:

a. F-hole Size: We can make it with a slightly larger F-hole which produces a very big and open sound. Or we can make it with a slightly smaller F-hole, our standard size found on the traditional and modern Fs we’re making/delivering now, which produces a big sound with a more focused projection. In one of the videos of Martino on our website he is playing the Big Mon with larger F-holes. http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...temid=78&pid=7. Then there's also another video of him playing one with smaller F-holes inside a jam session with a few others that are playing standard sized instruments: http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...emid=78&pid=10

b. Modern or Traditional Set-up: There are few differences here:

i. Traditional has a larger neck, more shoulders on the neck and feels a bit more like a traditional Loar. The modern neck is more V'd in shape and isn't as big around. It's faster and better for more contemporary playing styles in our opinion.

ii. Fingerboard extensions: both style have a scooped/scalloped fingerboard extension. The modern extension is shortened so that you can play closer to the neck joint without running into frets. The traditional is scooped but the length is extended like on a traditional Loar.

iii. Frets: The traditional has narrow frets. The modern has wider frets with a taller crown, making it easier to slide from fret to fret.

iv. Fretboard radius: Each set-up has a radiused board, however the modern is more pronounced. Combined with the wider frets and the neck shape, this set-up does allow for easier playing--perhaps longer playing without fatigue too.

c. Premium Tailpiece: As a special offering, we are having some custom James Tailpieces made with our engraved logo. They are very nice, and adds to the total cost. Attached is a picture of this tailpiece with logo. The tailpiece is cast of stainless steel and then machined + plated in silver and engraved. The O-rings used on the tailpiece are great for noise cancellation--we believe it to be the nicest tailpiece on the market currently and suggest it for tone and functionality. Our standard tailpiece is similar to a Collings- style. It is cast of brass and silver plated. Nice tailpiece sonically but harder for string changes on the fly.

d. Premium Wood: Right now we are offering select sets of our most precious Maple and Adirondack Red Spruce. These sets are in 2 ranges and adds to the total cost as an upgrade. This wood is only offered on the F sets for the custom orders. We're using our finest grade Spruce and Sugar Maple from the northeast US, cut more than 20 years ago.

e. Violin Style Varnished Neck: Just recently we've also begun to offer a violin style varnish on our necks. Here we have removed the color and several coats of varnish, which changes the feel and also the look of the neck. Attached is a picture of what I mean.

I hope this helps answer questions for you. Please let me know what I can do to explain any of the points better or if you require additional information.

Best Regards,

Adrian Bagale
    The Northfield Workshop
    www.northfieldmandolins.com