Thread: Mandolin Teachers in Cleveland Ohio - Places to meet and Jam?

Default Mandolin Teachers in Cleveland Ohio - Places to meet and Jam?

I am a guitar player in my 50's living in Cleveland, Ohio who is taking up the Mandolin. I need suggestions for how to find others in my area who both Jam and teach. Would also like to locate live performance venues. Just ordered an Eastman 505 and have been preparing for it's arrival by acquiring a few instructional books and CDs as well as dusting off a lot of my old Bluegrass CDs of both new and old artists. I have gathered together a list of top 50 songs to become familiar with compiled from threads located all over this site and look forward to getting my mando and digging in. Any other Buckeyes out there in my area?

Default Re: Mandolin Teachers in Cleveland Ohio - Places to meet and Jam?

Welcome Double G. I am in Ohio but about 3 hours south. Check out the link and see if you can find something. Go to as many shows and festivals in your area and ask around. I am sure there are a few pickers in your neck of the woods. John

http://www.buckeyebluegrass.com/index.htm

Hey Double G,

I'd recommend the fairmont School of Music in Cleveland Hts or Woodsy's in Kent as the best places in NE Ohio to study mandolin. Not much in the bluegrass scene these days so I don't know where the jams are but here is a list of performances and spaces for Sept:

http://folknet.org/September2010MemberCalendar.html

Folknet is a fine organization and if you join, you get that calendar every month.

Hope to see you around someday.

-Seth

http://www.myspace.com/sethroquartet

http://folknet.org/September2010MemberCalendar.html

Hey DoubleG, I am looking to buy and start playing a mandolin as well. I am in Lorain County. Have you had any experiences with teachers/jams you care to share since your last post. I am waiting till after the holidays before I get my Kentucky 150. Goose acres was a good place to find like minded souls, but now I think Woodsys at Medina is my best bet for lessons and contacts. As newbishness goes, I'm a 1 on a 1-10 scale. I just can't quit thinking about playing this instrument. You'd think I was 15 and not 45.

I have decided to teach myself for now. I live in Cleveland proper and I cannot travel to Medina or Kent to take lessons or from anyone whose primary instrument is not a mandolin. I also could not wait any longer for the backordered Eastman and went to Woodsy's in Kent and bought a KM-150. It plays in tune and I play it everyday. I have a friend in PA who builds violins as a hobby and I have encouraged him to think about making mandolins for a living. He is making (2) F5 styles and one of them has my name on it. That I CAN wait for!
    -----
    Northfield A5 Special
    Eastman MD315, Kentucky KM-150
    OME Tupelo 12" open-back
    B&P A-Scale 12" open-back, Zach Hoyt Fretless neck w/Vega pot
    Circa 1900 S.S. Stewart Universal Favorite
    Fawley 5-string open-back, Prust fretless tackhead
    Epiphone ES335 DOT, Seagull S(6), Taylor 114ce
    (2) Old German Fiddles
    1989 Peavey Dyna-Bass

Hey
    Double G, I can't help with instructors other than suggest looking on this site for those that have listed already or post your own ad. But, I think you are in a very good area and should be able to find someone fairly easy. As far as venues, you have been given two sites that I monitor on a regular basis (Folknet+Buckeye Bluegrass). If you are not a strict bluegrasser, I would suggest the Facebook group(NE Ohio Old-Time Music Group) They post shows and jams regularly. I also use the Pa Yahoo Group for Bluegrass (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/groups/wpbgc) Alot of Pa jams and shows but also some in Ne Ohio. Good Luck and enjoy your new Mando, Dan

Blog Entries

Dan, thanks very much for the tip on the Northeast Ohio Old-Time Music Group on Facebook. For others interested in joining, here's the link.
    Looking forward to meeting you all sometime.
    -Ed
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Ed
    I didn't want to highjack this thread so I (pmed?) you
    Dan

I thought I would chime in and let you know that I am in Cleveland as well and would like to meet other players. I am very new to the Mando but I am having a lot of fun with it. If anyone would like to get together let me know!
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Hi,
    I also live in Cleveland and my father who will be 84 tomorrow is always looking for people to play mandolin/guitar/banjo with. He's been pickin for many years, but he has a bit of a hard time getting around (he uses a walker). He's a retired social work professor from Case Western Reserve University and he's a really interesting character of a guy. I was just wondering where you're in terms of finding teachers and people who get together and play. I forgot to say, my dad also plays harmonica. I look forward to hearing from you. I was hoping to maybe give him some news on his birthday (7/30/2011). Please write when you've got time. Thanks so much.

Fast forward 5 years! I may be moving to Cleveland in a few months (late 2016) and am looking for classical mandolinists for chamber music. If you play classical mandolin in Cleveland or know someone who does, please let me know. By email: ccaron at earthlink dot net. Thank you!

And I am between Cleveland and Cambridge (kind of) in Alliance, OH. Boy, there are more mandolin players in the (sort of) area than I thought!

I have held a couple of mandolin gatherings in Northeast Ohio in the past. Maybe it's time for another?

14. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

On the East Side of Cleveland, there are a number of regular events you may be interested in.

Every 1st Tuesday from 7pm to 9pm, Heights Music Shop on Lee Road (Cleveland Heights) hosts a Rock n Ruckus Picking Circle -- all plucked instruments welcome. Mostly folk, blues, and folk rock songs played with a smattering of fiddle and mando tunes.

Every 2nd Monday, there is an open Bluegrass session at the Happy Dog on Euclid Avenue in University Circle -- from 7pm to 9pm. A few mandolinists show fairly regularly.

Finally, every 2nd and 4th Tuesday, there is an Old-Time/Appalachian Music Session at the M.T. Glass in Cleveland Heights at Cedar and Taylor Roads. I -- and several other mandolinists -- go to this one quite regularly. All are welcome.

Way back in the late 90's, there was a mandolin orchestra playing out of the Greek Orthodox Church in Cleveland Heights. But, it seems to have faded away. I know a smattering of classical mandolin and am quite willing to start back on the tremolo-ing.

Hope that helps...

Bumping this as a local guy looking for mandolin players or people/jams. I’m super new to bluegrass but have been playing guitar for a long time and mandolin for a very very short time.

In Cleveland proper I can't help you. A bit further south, in Hartville there is a first and third Thursday jam during the summer months at Quail Hollow park, and there is an informal jam at the Mount Union Nature Center on the first Sunday of every month.