Thread: Anyone fitted a killswitch?

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Default Anyone fitted a killswitch?

Title says it all really :-)

Default Re: Anyone fitted a killswitch?

I use mini toggles for kill switches. They come in different configurations, on-off, on-on, on-off-on, on-on-on. I use the basic on-off as a final link before the jack or if it is a double neck on-off-on combines the neck selection with a kill switch. On-off-on also can be used as a selector/kill switch if you have two seperate pickup systems.

Put a ring switch in a Mic Cable. but most of the time I'm in arms reach of my amp , use it's Mute button.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks but I think I`m on a different path!
    I meant a killswitch for staccato effects - I`m building a few mandos inspired by signature guitars, the one in question being a Gary Moore BFG Les Paul and the Gibson has a killswitch located in the usual pickup selector position. I suppose what I need is a momentary off toggle switch that springs back to the on position when released but I`ve Googled and Googled and not found anything suitable (mostly make rather than break)!
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

Well, I do know from having tried one out that the BFG killswitch is actually not a momentary switch, but a 2-way on-off; up = off, down = on. Most people that are doing the momentary thing are using, for lack of a better term, arcade-style switches. From the Googling I did, it sounds like the easiest way to do it is to have the hot wire from your pickup go to ground when you want it off, then wired as normal for when you want it on.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=kill_switch

Brilliant, thanks for the info. I`d thought it a bit odd having a toggle rather than a push button.
    Cheers
    Pete (contemplating a Buckethead next :-)

Destroyer of Mandolins

I had my first Ovation outfitted with a kill switch and a Sabine Stealth internal tuner. The guts of the tuner were inside the body and the small LED display mounted along side the control panel. The kill switch was a miniature toggle that muted the mandolin while activating the tuner. I don't know if Sabine makes the Stealth tuner anymore, but it was a great set up.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Yes, I had Mr. Mann build a momentary killswitch into my baritone manndolin. It makes some clicks when using it though, but works if you want kind of lofi stuttering, or when using distortion (which hides the clicks).
    Check out www.myspace.com/snortingmaradonas for a Swedish punk band where I play emando