Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastwood airline mandola

Default Eastwood airline mandola

just received my Eastwood Airline electric mandola today. based on the fact its a $300 rig i give it 2 thumbs up. it is quite playable out of the box after tuning and intonating. the bridge could have been a little better thought out and there is not a lot of room for moving the saddles.as well the height adjustment seems too rock the saddle back instead of raising it. the guitar size pick up is good and hot, though i find i prefer to switch my amp to bright from normal setting .tuners seem good.frets feel nice neck is strait. the strings are pinching a bit at the nut so i need to sit down and work on this a bit. i will be shimming the neck to get more back angle for lower action if the bridge will allow for it.probably change to larger string gadge for bassier tuning in G or F maybe,make it an octave mando/or baritone.perhaps lower the action at the nut as well.

any way short story is that with a little setup you have a workable axe if you don't mind the action up a little and are not concerned about total perfect intonation.
    and if you are this instrument could be upgraded and modded easily to be a great professional axe.

please remember this is an after 2 hours of ownership review and is solely my opinion which may change by tomorrow.

Default Re: Eastwood airline mandola

Update.. the intonation seems quite decent . having a little problem with the C string. gets a bit sharp at the first and second fret due to string height at the nut. its a .031 gadge string so if you press hard it goes sharp easy, which is hard not to do up at the 15+ frets.these things can be worked out with action set up i think

well i have stripped it down to single strings and my enjoyment factor increased 100%. so i guess my only complaint is the but ugly head stock. actually its not ugly just huge. my hydrocephalic mandola

of course... the perfect accompaniment to the airline mandocello.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2686_2..jpg 
Views:	1204 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	61462  
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    of course... the perfect accompaniment to the airline mandocello.
    looks vintage too.

looking forward to pics/ clips.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

well its a nice mandola but i am bored of it now time to sell it or maybe store it and see if the price goes up in ten years. now if it was a 5 string then i would be really into it. need to stop impulse buying on the internet i guess .looks nice on the wall any way

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Ben - who's the owner of the mandocello? Is that your instrument? Looks great! I just aquired a teens Gibson 'cello, and I'm a little afraid that in a short time I'll be prowling for an electric version...
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

I guess I use the term 'cello loosely. It's a short scale (3/4?) airline bass and was tuned in fifths.
    It was played by Alain who joins Them Crooked Vultures for their live shows. This one was used for Highway one - a song featuring JPJ playing his Manson bros. Electric Mandola (octave)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2691.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	61527  

Got my Airline also. What a cool instrument. I would rate it several notches above a Mandobird. Very playable out of the box- doesn't really need anything done to it. I don't have any experience with a mandola, but I love its dark lower scale. It seems to hit notes that fit in between someplace. Very dark sounding, which is cool in my book. Haven't gigged with it yet, but that will be next. I will do a more complete review for E-mando.com when I've had more time with it. But for now- two thumbs way up!
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

Today's Thursday Lunch Special from Eastwood:
    Eastwood Airline Mandola Package: $349
    Note: this post is purely informative - no financial interest nor instrument endorsement on my part.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Mine arrived today, black Mandola with a red t-shirt, white spiral chord, extra black chord, strap... tuned up in seconds, great intonation, really good action. I just ordered a set of nickel strings from Martin Stillion (emando.com)...

The strings (not sure of the gauges) seem a little slack. Looks like the scale length is 18" so it might be better suited to a GGDDAAEE tuning - but what gauge strings to use?

Blog Entries

Eddie, the string gauges Jon Mann uses on his 18" scale OEMs are: .052-.038-.026-.014
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Thank's Ed. So roughly a set of J76's - or maybe FT76's. I got the slackness out by tuning it up to DDAAEEBB. The Emando set arrived today, 48, 34, 22, 14 - nickel strings. I'll have to try to break the DDAAEEBB strings first...

I have this one now, with the strings from emando on it. I love it. It can really cover a lot of ground, as far as genre. I bought it mostly because of the body style, I've wanted an airline bass forever, and I am really surprised and pleased with it. I haven't touched my mandolin in a week.

They are very good looking instruments and can be easily upgraded

I tuned mine to Uke GCEA using 17-26, 13-18, 15-15, 10-10. I posted this elsewhere too.
    Mid-Mo Mandolin
    2011 American Standard Telecaster
    Eastwood Airline Mandola (National "Rocket" Poser 8-string Uke) Seafoam Green
    Line6 HD Destop
    Electro-Harmonics B9 Organ Machine
    K&K Pure XLR Preamp
    Fender Acoustasonic Jr
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    well its a nice mandola but i am bored of it now time to sell it or maybe store it and see if the price goes up in ten years. now if it was a 5 string then i would be really into it. need to stop impulse buying on the internet i guess .looks nice on the wall any way
    I have sold my eastwood mandola so do not message me asking if I still have it .thanks

So I guess I'm calling mine a Mandolele.
    Mid-Mo Mandolin
    2011 American Standard Telecaster
    Eastwood Airline Mandola (National "Rocket" Poser 8-string Uke) Seafoam Green
    Line6 HD Destop
    Electro-Harmonics B9 Organ Machine
    K&K Pure XLR Preamp
    Fender Acoustasonic Jr
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Oooh, I got my upgraded pickguard. Next, I have a SD Custom Mandolin Mini Humbucker on order and a "cool little knob" for the split and push pull volume.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After white.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	92739

Blog Entries

Eastwood Demo Sale (March, 2013):
    "Airline mandola with very minor scratch on body back. Barely visible." Sale price $299.
    No financial nor endorsement of the instrument on my part.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

So is it possible to use this as an octave mandolin, and if so, what gauge strings to use?

Try D'Addario J76 or FT76 on it and tune down to GDAE. Or email Martin Stillion at Emando.com and get a custom set - he'll advise you - of nickel strings (better for pick-ups).

You may find the strings a bit too floppy for Octave tuning,it may work better with cgda tuning. I haven't reached a conclusion.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?