Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbif's Recordings & Photos

Default Re: Robbif's Recordings & Photos

Another great one here.

Doc Hamilton has just given me a super-classic recording of his, and I've added it to my Doc Hamilton Collection.

It's JD Crowe & the New South at the Holiday Inn, Lexington, KY in 1975.

JD - banjo, Tony Rice - guitar, Ricky Skaggs - mandolin, Jerry Douglas - dobro, Bobby Slone - bass

2. The following members say thank you to robbif for this post:

Folks,

After being inspired my Doc Hamilton's classic 1975 Holiday Inn recording I recently posted, Ken Landreth contributed one that slightly predates Doc's.

This one is from 1974, just after Ricky Skaggs joined. Read Ken's story and listen here: http://frobbi.org/audio/landreth/JDCrowe74.html

I have been so blessed to have these great guys take their time to search through their archives, digitize their recordings, and honor me as the one to share them with all of you!

Fred

Folks,

I have just added a lot more recordings to the Ivor Trueman Collection.

http://frobbi.org/truemancollection.html

Ivor has sent me 3 DVDs full. This addition is only from one of them! I hope to work on the other two soon.

I have this on the web page:

Note/Disclaimer: These recordings were collected from websites or blogs,
    some of which no longer exist or have links that no longer work. There are some
    that have little or no information, including song titles and possible mis-spellings.
    There are so many files that I will do my best to update and correct as time permits.
    If you have any feedback, please let me know.
    Thanks for your patience!

Fred

5. The following members say thank you to robbif for this post:

I've added another classic recording to the Ken Landreth Collection...

JD Crowe & the New South, Red Slipper Lounge, Holiday Inn North, Lexington, KY, November 11, 1974

Ken says: Ricky did not have a mandolin when he moved to Lexington and is playing Frank Godbey's Gibson F2
    on this recording. The band had been using pickups on their instruments for a couple of years to overcome
    bar noise and is still using pickups on this recording.

Hi Folks,

I have a new sub-collection added to the Ivor Trueman Collection.

Bean Blossom 1972 with about 300 individual songs... http://frobbi.org/audio/ivor/BeanBlossom1972.html

As before, these recordings were collected from other sites, some of which
    no longer exist or the links no longer work.

I'm attempting to put them all together in one place that's also searchable.
    Note that new items like this won't be searchable until Google "crawls" the
    new web pages at some unpredictable time in the near future.

Since I mechanically copied the song and artist information from all that was
    collected, there may be some errors (and maybe more introduced by me). So I'd
    appreciate any feedback and will try to update the pages as time permits.

Enjoy!
    Fred

8. The following members say thank you to robbif for this post:

P.S. In my latest addition, check out the Mandolin Workshop. (Scroll down past the Fiddle Workshop.)

Just a quick mention that the Search My Recordings feature seems to be working very well now, including all the recent additions.

Please check it out.

Hi Folks,

Take a listen to the March 5 additions to my Ivor Trueman Collection.

You'll find...

Greenbriar Boys, Nathan's Restaurant, Oceanside, NY, 1962
    J.D. Crowe & The New South, Partners II, Centerville, VA, 1975
    J.D. Crowe & The New South, Kosei Nenkin Sho Hall, Tokyo, Japan, 1979
    Kentucky Colonels, The Cabale, Berkeley, CA, 1964

Don't forget my new search feature.
    Note the most recent additions will not be found until Google "crawls"
    the new web pages in the next few days.

Enjoy,
    Fred

More Keith Whitely. Always a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    More Keith Whitely. Always a good thing!
    Check out my Search Feature for "keith whitley" (note spelling of last name) for more.

VIDEO: Jesse McReynolds and El Cumbanchero at Grey Fox 2012

I figured he'd still be "pretty good", but when he tore into this one, I turned away from the camcorder, fist pumped, and had tears in my eyes!

He's still got it!

I've posted these before, but here's a review of the other videos from that workshop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJ7u3YGr8Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaX7S7-XE80
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZlsNWmbLQU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFJty_ELTuM

Ivor Trueman has acquired some of Chris Wing's tape collection. Ivor says Chris used to play mandolin with Tom Travis.

Today's installment is of the Johnson Mtn Boys on the BBC..

http://frobbi.org/audio/ivor/Johnson...987/index.html

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

robbif... you da man!!!

I love your recordings! (reminds me of when I was out picking regularely)
    Olaf

This morning Ivor Trueman gave me a whole lot more of the Johnson Mtn Boys.
    This time it's from the Edale Festival in the UK, including one gospel set from
    their first appearance in 1987 and 4 sets from their 1994 return.

The MC explains that they normally invite a band only once; but the voting brought
    the JMB back a second time.

Click here

Blog Entries

Thank you, Sir. Great Job!
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

I'm very happy to be able to make available a Dillards show from the BBC.
    It was recorded by the BBC in 1989 and broadcast in 1990.
    Chris Wing recorded it off the radio; Ivor Trueman digitized the tapes
    and provided me the MP3s.

My thanks go to all I worked with on this project: Ivor, Mitch Jayne's widow Diana,
    Doug Dillard's widow Vikki, and the Dillards' producer Lynne, the latter who
    graciously gave me permission to share this historic recording with you.

Band members: Mitch Jayne, Dean Webb, Rodney & Doug Dillard, Steve Cooley

Click Here to Listen

Regrettably I'm shutting down my audio recordings* for now.

All my videos are still available since they're on YouTube.

I've tried to make most of that clear on my updated recordings page: http://frobbi.org/picking.html

* There's one available audio exception: the recent Dillards 1990 BBC recording that's on SoundCloud,
    due to a play-only requirement by the publisher. It would be nice to put all of my recordings on SoundCloud
    or some similar service, but it would take literally months to redo my scores of web pages. Plus it would
    cost approx another $140/year whereas I'm only paying $60/year for the current website.

You will see a prompt asking for a password. That's the quickest way I could lock it all out.

I just found out my upload/download quota has apparently been exceeded. I guess it's because of all the
    latest wonderful additions that have been so popular.

But I've just been charged over $1,200 by my website provider for last month!

I did not know I'd exceeded the quota or what that quota was; I do now.

I wasn't able to get through to any of the providers phone numbers, even during their business hours.

I don't know what the solution will, if anything, be. I fear I will not be able to recover the monetary loss.

I'll try to argue with the web provider on Monday. They now offer cheap packages with unlimited data transfer.
    Maybe I'll find another provider. Lots of questions and options right now.

I'm so very disappointed in not being able to share everything with you, for now.

I will keep you informed.

I don't know how anyone else feels but I'm truly saddened by this. There was some fantastic stuff on that site. Recordings of many of the greats of the early years of bluegrass, things like Monroe with band members he didn't record much (or at all). I really hope there's some way this can be resolved and this material can be made available again. Our local bluegrass club was planning on having a column in our newsletter that chronicled this site. I'd certainly be willing to pay something if the only answer is to make it a pay site.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    I don't know how anyone else feels but I'm truly saddened by this. There was some fantastic stuff on that site. Recordings of many of the greats of the early years of bluegrass, things like Monroe with band members he didn't record much (or at all). I really hope there's some way this can be resolved and this material can be made available again. Our local bluegrass club was planning on having a column in our newsletter that chronicled this site. I'd certainly be willing to pay something if the only answer is to make it a pay site.
    Thank you so much for the kind words and offer. I hope it doesn't come to that.
    If by "paid site" you mean people would have to pay to listen, I'm afraid that would defeat the whole purpose.
    And I would rather not get into that sort of "management."

I see the provider now has web packages, equivalent in cost to mine, that have unlimited webspace and "traffic" (data transfer). I'll talk to them on Monday and plead (demand?) my case.

I will certainly keep you posted!

Thanks again!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by robbif View Post
    Thank you so much for the kind words and offer. I hope it doesn't come to that.
    If by "paid site" you mean people would have to pay to listen, I'm afraid that would defeat the whole purpose.
    And I would rather not get into that sort of "management."

I see the provider now has web packages, equivalent in cost to mine, that have unlimited webspace and "traffic" (data transfer). I'll talk to them on Monday and plead (demand?) my case.

I will certainly keep you posted!

Thanks again!

Fred
    Good luck Fred. I honestly think your site is the best resource on the web for traditional bluegrass.

24. The following members say thank you to mandolirius for this post:

I second that.

I talked with Billing today and she said there was nothing much she could do.

She also noted that the next invoice being put together has another $300 on it!
    I see that's because the last invoice went through 7/10 and I didn't shut down
    until 8/9 when I saw that invoice. So now I'm up to (or "out") $1,500+ !!!

She recommended I contact Complaints by email, so I'm carefully composing that right now
    and expect to send it later today.

I'd hate to do it, but I've had recommendations to use Paypal or Kickstarter, but I don't
    know the tax implications of that approach. Any other suggestions are welcome.

If I switch to their "Unlimited" account (unlimited space and monthly traffic), it'll cost
    $48/year with a 36-month commitment, less than the $60/year I'm paying now.

More as this saga continues.

Hi Folks,

Amidst all my website woes, one silver lining I'm thrilled to announce...

After working with the two artists, I have now released a 2-song sampler
    of our Hudson Valley Bluegrass Association's intimate concert with Jim and Rob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MULEX...B3BAD4&index=1

It will also be announced by the HVBA in a few days.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Fred

Hi Everyone,

I talked to my trusted accountant of many years this morning. He strongly advised me that I
    should not accept any money via any method. There are just too may potential snags. At this
    juncture, after this painful reality check, as much as it hurts, I believe him.

I just received a response from the Complaints Dept. They offered to refund my latest bill of
    $307. I again asked them to refund the previous bill of $1,236, but they would not budge. I
    accepted the offer.

I just switched to the package with unlimited space and upload/download traffic. I thought it
    was $48/year, but that was for first-timers. I'll pay $84/year. I should be back online
    tomorrow (Thur). For now it's the cheapest, simplest, easiest, and most reliable way to get
    back online soon, since I have so many web pages that might have to be changed if I used any
    other approach. Once the dust settles, I may use other additional methods recommended by my
    (better-than-me) tech buddies.

Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to volunteer with my usual videographer act at the Rhythm & Roots
    Festival in Rhode Island over Labor Day Weekend.

My continued thanks for all your encouraging comments, ideas, and offers. One good thing has
    come out of this mess: I'm so gratified at how much my efforts are appreciated. I've always
    said that's exactly what makes it worthwhile.

Will keep you posted.

Fred

Back in Business!

http://frobbi.org/picking.html

Thanks everyone!

Fred