Thread: Grisman and Rice / The Complete Tone Poems

Default Grisman and Rice / The Complete Tone Poems

I just got the Complete Tone Poems from acousticoasis.com

What can I say other than this is a truly wonderful release, and from a musician’s viewpoint it is so much more, it is a learning experience, it is like being right there in the studio, a guest at the proceedings. If you already have the original, buy it again!

I’m sure there are others who would agree that Tone poems I, is one of the finest CDs ever put out by Acoustic Disc, and I also consider it one of the finest mandolin and guitar duet projects of all time. Forget the fact that each cut was exquisitely recorded with a different vintage mandolin, and guitar.......with a drool over the photos booklet including the history of the instruments.....this was also the reunion of the Gasoline Bros. For those that don’t know, this is David Grisman and Tony Rice, one of those rare combinations of musicians that is like peanut butter and jelly, or pretzels and beer, a near perfect combination. These are the guys who launched New Acoustic music with the original David Grisman Quintet. They share a certain chemistry, an inner clock, a way of hearing and interacting musically that few other combinations of musicians have. They are steeped in the same tradition, but then carried the torch together into uncharted territory. This was recorded 15 years after Tony left the DGQ, to start his Tony Rice Unit, and by that time both were considered living legends on their respective instruments.

So here is what is so special about this new release. Not only do you get all the out takes, numerous versions of each tune, but also included is Dawg and T. talking between the takes, and that reveals a lot about their personalities, and also offers a serious look at how they work. You’re the fly on the wall, as they joke with each other like old friends do, sometimes playing a weird funny version of a fiddle tune, or a scorching rendition of a classic, as they are warming up. Hear them describe the differences in the various historic instruments to each other, or critique what they just recorded and how to improve it, even trying it again, but in a different key or at a different tempo. You hear them instantly listen to and respond to each others playing.......talk about being in the moment..... these guys never played it the same twice, making subtle adjustments, or playing a variation, each time through. The tunes combine old chestnuts with a few Grisman originals.....some are incomplete takes, as an instrument goes out of tune, or something happens, but often what they just played before it fell apart was freakin’ incredible. The Master Takes are included, and sometimes there were variations that are just as good, but different. You even get to hear Grisman teach a tune to Rice, and hear how quickly he then makes it his own, as they compliment each other on their pickin' and cheer each other on, massaging each tune to perfection. They make it sound so effortless on the final takes, but a lot of work went into getting each tune just right. These are seasoned professionals in the recording studio, and what an education it is, getting to hear how they work, basically recording live to two track. And with the banter, you can hear how much fun they had doing it.

If you’ve ever wondered how the best in the business works, what it would be like to be in the studio, sitting right next to these guys, as they pick, here is your chance. Now I have been fortunate, to have actually experienced this firsthand myself, back when the original version of the DGQ were in the studio, and this recording is that kind of a magic experience........ here you have old friends, master musicians, getting together with a few dozen vintage instruments, playing the heck out of them, and you’re invited to the party. I absolutely love this music. Keep ‘em coming David!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SternART For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Grisman and Rice / The Complete Tone Poems

I had original "Tone Poem" in my daily playlist for months, and I'm really glad I've found and bought "Complete Tone Poems". I agree that it's really great to see how they approach tunes, tempo, keys, especially if you know what they will choose in the end.

The only problem - now I'm really curious which instruments they're using on the tunes which are not uncluded into the original album...

Great music on all of the tone poems recordings, recommended for any lover of acoustic music

[QUOTE=SternART;811464]I just got the Complete Tone Poems from acousticoasis.com

Thanks - Interesting article...
    Eastman MD305 mandolin
    Epiphone Special ll electric
    Jay Jr. Dreadnought, cutaway, electric/accoustic

Thanks, great article!!
    Eastman MD305 mandolin
    Epiphone Special ll electric
    Jay Jr. Dreadnought, cutaway, electric/accoustic