Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't like the sound of tremolo.

Default I don't like the sound of tremolo.

Whether it's flemenco guitar, acoustic guitar (i really hate it on acoustic), or even mandolin, I simply have never liked the sound of tremolo. No matter the tempo of the music I can just never find myself saying, wow that really fits, or that really sounds good. And I don't mean my own playing either, I mean on anything, anywhere, any music.

I guess the mandolin is the best instrument for tremolo - I guess if I had to choose my favorite then it would be mandolin. But I really don't want to play it. Here's the problem however, I cannot find a good substitute for tremolo. What else do I do when I come to a part in music that just screams for tremolo? You know the classics where God comes down and says, YOU HAVE TO PLAY TREMOLO HERE OR LOSE YOUR SOUL FOREVER! I guess I'm not good enough because I don't know what else to do.

You know violin can just play the same note forever to fill in that space, piano has sustain. For those that hate tremolo too, what do you do? Is there some other technique that will fill the space?

Default Re: I don't like the sound of tremolo.

if it's worth losing your soul forever.. you could do a variation on a crosspicking thing like Mr. McReynolds... but I think if tremolo bugs you crosspicking might, too

What?!

You mean that 12 bar trem that Tony Rice does on Mar West is no good? Well, I never....!

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

i don't know why but i found your thread title hilarious... nearly spat my coffee on the screen.

it seems like one of those moments where in a noisy bar, suddenly everyone goes quite, and you find yourself shouting something terrible or embarassing for all to hear.

I suppose that tremolo can be quite upsetting for some, especially bad tremolo, but then if that was the case for me i would'nt be picking up mandolin anytime soon. Tremolo is actually one of the areas i am really interested in right now, thanks mostly to listening to Mike Compton's playing.

So, i can't answer your question directly in that i dont really have any substitution for temolo other than playing open chords/double stops and letting them ring out, but answering indirectly, i would suggest that you could search out mandolin players who use tremolo well and inventively and i'll imagine that way you might find that maybe, just maybe, not all tremolo is terrible.

Tremolo is the Mandolins sustain. it is a feeling that works well on waltzes. (when u are amplified the sustain is much longer) it's ok if u dont like it there is no rule saying Mandolin has to tremolo. your could try something simple like an arpeggio of the chord. where it recommends the unliked tremolo. but keep in mind it is a good tool to keep in your little tool belt. i Agree with post above me too

Specifically speaking, a song like Banks of the Ohio, if played at the usual slower tempo, simply screams for tremolo. What would you guys do if you couldn't tremolo and still make it sound interesting?

i would use arpeggios if no tremolo was allowed like this key of D Maj open d string 2 twice "I ASKED" d string 2nd fret E "MY" d string 4th fret (F#) "LOVE" Tremolo right well instead of tremolo try 4th fret then the open A then the 2nd fret B note then the A and back to the 4th fret on the D string and continue onward with the song very very easy way around the tremolo is use other notes that work.

There's different kinds of tremolo to consider. The kind we appear to be discussing here is the really fast, sounds-like-one-long-note kind. But you can slow it down and it's still tremolo. For example, if the "fast tremolo" is cooking along at something like 4-8 pick strokes per quarter note (16-32 pick strokes in one measure of 4/4 time; adjust accordingly for waltz), then you halve it. Instead of one-ee-and-ah two-ee-and-ah, play one-and two-and. Maybe that moves you away from the tremolo sound you don't like but still fills up the soundscape.
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

Blog Entries

What do you think of double stop tremolo? Instead of extending the length of one note, bring in a high lonesome harmony. Let the coyotes out.

The best tremolo, IMO, is when you don't hear it. What I mean is that it fits so comfortably in the music that you don't notice it, the tune just flows, and you don't see the wheels and gears, like tremolo, that make it work.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'm really not trying to be a "smart alec" here.... Often, in certain styles of music, sustain and space can be better options. Though using these tools can run contrary to our mandolinist reflexes.

Paul Glasse
    Austin Texas
    http://paulglasse.com

11. The following members say thank you to pglasse for this post:

Sounds like you chose the wrong instrument.

Perhaps an instrument with more sustain might click better with your, such as a longer scale and/or larger body mandolin family instrument, or guitar?
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Keller View Post
    There's different kinds of tremolo to consider. The kind we appear to be discussing here is the really fast, sounds-like-one-long-note kind. But you can slow it down and it's still tremolo. For example, if the "fast tremolo" is cooking along at something like 4-8 pick strokes per quarter note (16-32 pick strokes in one measure of 4/4 time; adjust accordingly for waltz), then you halve it. Instead of one-ee-and-ah two-ee-and-ah, play one-and two-and. Maybe that moves you away from the tremolo sound you don't like but still fills up the soundscape.
    Are you referring to the type of sound Adam Steffey gets? It sounds like he doesn't do really fast tremolo but I'm not sure is he just slowing the tremolo down a bit?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pglasse View Post
    I'm really not trying to be a "smart alec" here.... Often, in certain styles of music, sustain and space can be better options.
    Very true. And I understand, you are not just refering to the mandolin sitting out for a spell, you are talking about within a break or a solo, letting in some air, letting the notes land gently on the water before you start taking up the slack.

Jeeez, I need to go fishing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

i did a workshop with Steffey where he talked about his tremolo and he does eighth note tremolo in time with the music

Check out some of Ronny McCoury's bluesy back-up tremolo on Steve Earle's "The Mountain"; "Texas Eagle", "Graveyard Shift", "Yours Forever Blue" .......if there's anything about that you don't like, maybe you did pick the wrong instrument.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JHagerty View Post
    i did a workshop with Steffey where he talked about his tremolo and he does eighth note tremolo in time with the music
    I was reading through comments by, i think it was, Mike Compton in the cafe interview, and he was saying something pretty similar about playing the tremolo with respect to, and emphasizing certain notes on, the rhythm... i dunno it seems obvious now, but at the time it was like a little low watt bulb clicked on my head, i think before i had just been doing interminable tremolo noodle strings but could never work out why they sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

Get an electric mandolin and some effects pedals.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

If you REALLY hate tremolo and are playing the mandolin, you are in the wrong body. You must be a banjo player in a mandolinists body.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hicks View Post
    If you REALLY hate tremolo and are playing the mandolin, you are in the wrong body. You must be a banjo player in a mandolinists body.

Hehe, funny that you mentioned that... I was a banjo picker years ago. Maybe it's somehow subconsciously directing my path in life.

Angry Cowboy Disco grumpycoyote's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JHagerty View Post
    i would use arpeggios if no tremolo was allowed like this key of D Maj open d string 2 twice "I ASKED" d string 2nd fret E "MY" d string 4th fret (F#) "LOVE" Tremolo right well instead of tremolo try 4th fret then the open A then the 2nd fret B note then the A and back to the 4th fret on the D string and continue onward with the song very very easy way around the tremolo is use other notes that work.
    +1

Tremolo, like any technique, can be over-used. It often is.

I love tremolo! ... there! I said it... I feel better now.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

24. The following members say thank you to woodwizard for this post:

still Lefty & French Philippe Bony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    What?!

You mean that 12 bar trem that Tony Rice does on Mar West is no good? Well, I never....!

Alan, listen to the DGQ 1979 new Acoustic Oasis release! Tony did some extra ordinary one...

Quote Originally Posted by grumpycoyote View Post
    Tremolo, like any technique, can be over-used. It often is.
    I dont know that I have much original to add to this discussion, but I agree with this particular statement. My take on tremolo is that is but another of the many different parts of mandolin vocabulary that can be brought into a musical conversation. It has never been my favorite either, and I have done what I can to develop a technique and an instrument that will sustain as much as possible, but I have also found that there are those moments where it is appropriate, and contributes rather than detracts from the music, so I go for it. As far as the original question about what can replace it, aside from developing long tones on the instrument, I have found that a touch of vibrato can also go a long way to providing a bit of interest to a long note that otherwise would just lie there, uninteresting. That may just be a hold-over from my violin days, but it can be effective...
    My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Just a note in sympathy with the original post...

I have noticed that the appearance of a mandolin at a jam session has the odd effect of causing guitarists to go tremolo crazy. Just a look at a mandolin is all it takes and off they go twiddling away tremoloing to distraction.

Maybe tremolo is contagious, like yawning or whistling?

I dont know, anyhow, however annoying bad tremolo can be on mandolin, for me it is far more annoysome on guitar.

I'll also add that i agree with others who suggest that instead of tremolo maybe a bit of silence or space is in order

My first thought was, "Then play the banjo!" Realizing how jackA$$ that sounded (and I meant it as a joke), I didn't post...but, you used to pick a 5 string, so I think you'd get it...

Anyway, my second thought was, "Get an electric mandolin." I found very early that when playing my mandobird, there were very FEW places that tremolo fits at all. You can get the sustain built into the electronics or do a classical guitar fretting type tremolo to sustain the notes without making them sound all "tremoloeee."
    Chuck