Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I get that clean jazz sound

Default Re: How do I get that clean jazz sound

That's what I was thinking about doing to my goldtone . I have the Kent Armstrong mini pickup but, I think I'm getting the smooth sound by using the EQ. We will see maybe in a few months I may use the Armstrong pickup anyway. It does look like it belongs with your installation. Nice job!

plenty of good advice and ideas offered up along the way...but i'm kinda suprised no one has mentioned using a proplerly dialed in compressor.
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    I find the Boss GE-7 EQ essential, even for my solid-body. It has a twangy setup naturally, with single-coil pickups, but a sharp rolloff after 1.6K, mainly dropping the 3.2K band, makes for a fat, dark, tone. Not possible to get that different tone response with only the amp tone controls. Even the different pickup won;t automatically give you the tone you want.
    Spooky - I thought it was a flaw with my generator software :-)

Mine look to be also down around 3.2 - how odd!
    My guess would be a neck humbucker around 7.5k with mild magnets.

Blog Entries

Partly it's my Celestion neodynium speaker, which is rather bright, showing a drop after 2K but a peak at 3K. But I also have found that piezo violin pickups sound much sweeter and more natural after killing that 3K band. 4K and up is fine for sizzle, 2K good for edge, but that 3K sounds like trash. I think it's that the wood of acoustic instruments doesn't respond much above 2K, and you only hear the twang straight off the string.

Humbuckers drop off rapidly, so rolling off the tone makes them nicely dark. Single coil pickups go up farther, so they don't easily yield the dark but focused tone. And piezos need lots of help.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I think that it's easier to get the clean jazz sound with a good amp and a nice pickup-in the neck position. I have used Duncans and I thought they were fine. I currently have Bartolinis on my mandolins, and they are very nice, but there are other pickup manufacturers that are excellent as well. Flatwounds and heavy strings matter less than one would imagine. I use very light strings and I think that they sound OK and -they are much easier to use when one slips and slides, bends and uses vibrato.
    http://www.sojournerrecords.net
    Check out the Michael Lampert Schwab Mandolin

Michael, any amp suggestions?
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Well...I use either a Roland Cube 30 (clean channel), or my Polytone Megabrute for larger gigs. I play very softly, in small places so I don't need all that much firepower. Any clean amp can do-didn't Wes use a Standel?
    http://www.sojournerrecords.net
    Check out the Michael Lampert Schwab Mandolin

Blog Entries

I have a Roland 30, which has some useful presets and amp models. Nice little amp but it's kind of feeble if you want to work loud.

I get great results from an inexpensive amp, the Crate PowerBlock, and a separate speaker cab. After schlepping tube amps I've quit forever, and would upgrade to Euphonic Audio's tiny 2.5 lb. 300W head, but the Crate is 4.5 lbs, so it's good enough for now.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I an the delighted owner of a '59 Fender, a Godin A8, and a J L Smith 5 string now being upgraded to dual humbuckers. The Godin though a much needed preamp with a notch filter to control resonance and a Peavey keyboard amp gives a great acoustic sort of sound - amplified; the Fender rocks though multiple effects into dual Voxs heads and cabs; but my truly gorgeous jazz tone comes form the J L Smith sans effects direct into a Fender Champ. Sweet, simple and, I believe, unbeatable. Should be great with you Blues Deluxe, and far too inexpensive for the quality you get.