Thread: Mandocaster G string trouble

Post Mandocaster G string trouble

I recently got an Eastwood Mandocaster, but when I try to play on the G string, the tension is so low that the act of pressing down on the fret changes the note to something higher.
    It is so bad that it is impossible to play on the first 2 frets, and very difficult to play on the rest. Is there any way to fix this?

Default Re: Mandocaster G string trouble

the action at the nut is to high may be.a dime should fit underneath on a fret wire and be held in place by the string on top of it. get it set up by a professional. they can lower the strings. at some point you do have to press with less force with light strings.
    Last edited by rico mando; Aug-21-2010 at 9:54pm.

Are these factory strings? Almost always you need get rid of factory strings. I like the JM10B flatwounds from JazzMando.com. That will fix it if the setup is not contributing.

rico mando
    Re: Mandocaster G string trouble

the action at the nut is to high may be.a dime should fit underneath on a fret wire and be held in place by the string on top of it. get it set up by a professional. they can lower the strings. at some point you do have to press with less force with light strings.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll try it as soon as I can.

Schlegel
    Re: Mandocaster G string trouble

Are these factory strings? Almost always you need get rid of factory strings. I like the JM10B flatwounds from JazzMando.com. That will fix it if the setup is not contributing.
    Yeah they are factory strings, I just got it last Monday. I'll try to get new strings on it as soon as I can.

Blog Entries

Are these single or double? Assuming single strings, I like a much heavier gauge. The same pressure that would be spread across the two G strings is now on one, and I have ended up using .040 for the G. My 5-string set is Ernie Ball .010, .013, .024, .040, and .052, for a 14", 360mm scale.

The nut is only an issue for the first few frets.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Are these single or double? Assuming single strings, I like a much heavier gauge. The same pressure that would be spread across the two G strings is now on one, and I have ended up using .040 for the G. My 5-string set is Ernie Ball .010, .013, .024, .040, and .052, for a 14", 360mm scale.

The nut is only an issue for the first few frets.
    It's actually double strings. Would those gauges work with that?

Blog Entries

Too heavy at the bottom. But Ernie Ball singles are a way to experiment cheaply, if you can use ball ends. They make loop end singles, too, but not as easy to find and I don't remember if they are magnetic or only in bronze.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

On an eight string, I usually fit .010, .014, .024w and .036w D`Addario EXL nickel guitar singles - some people swear by Ernie Ball but I`ve had too many rusty strings fresh out of the packet to be impressed.