Thread: New Book - Embergher Mandolins

Hi,
    Thought you might be interested in this mail I received today from one of my contacts:
    regards,
    Ian

Dear mandolin friend,
    We are pleased to inform you about our new book ‘The Embergher Mandolin’.

We think it will become the standard reference work on Embergher instruments, and contains over 125 pages covering the following:

- # # # #The history of the Embergher workshop and its people

- # # # #Reproduction of an original Embergher catalogue, with translation, comments and illustrated new colour photographs

- # # # #Full colour photographs showing front, back and side views of all types and models of the Embergher mandolin family

- # # # #The sound of the mandolin

- # # # #Embergher strings

- # # # #Plectrums and accessories

- # # # #Historical photographs of makers and players

If you are interested in this book, please let us know. The book will be available in November 2004; the estimated price is €25 (+postage and package), details of which we will confirm to you nearer the date of publication.

Thank you in advance for your interest,

we look forward to hearing from you.

Ralf Leenen & Barry Pratt

embergher@mandolin.be

2. The following members say thank you to trebleclef528 for this post:

This is exciting. Does anyone know of source material for, Calace, Vinaccia or other Italian makers? Even old advertising material would be somewhat informative.

I am pining for more detail: author(s), publisher, etc.

PS: Ralf Leenen is the leader of Belgium's La Napolitaine. Is this book his baby? I am going to drop him a line out of curiosity unless somebody already has and knows something more.

An excerpt from Ralf's reply to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by
    It is written in English and will be available in November. We haven't got a distributor in US yet, but I will give you more information about this and the price as soon as this is available.

The authors are Barry Pratt and myself. We are both mandolinists, and we've been collecting documentation and Embergher instruments for many years. In my orchestra, La Napolitaine, (we are in fact direct descendants of the school of Silvio Ranieri, a close friend of Luigi Embergher) we've never played anything else than Embergher instruments, since 1904 till today.

Since not much is known about Embergher instruments (except that they're the finest classical mandolins and very sought after in the mandolin world), we thought it useful to write a book about it.
    Sounds exciting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by (Eugene @ Sep. 28 2004, 15:27)
    In my orchestra, La Napolitaine, (we are in fact direct descendants of the school of Silvio Ranieri, a close friend of Luigi Embergher) we've never played anything else than Embergher instruments, since 1904 till today.
    I assume it is the orchestra that is 100 years old, not the players, right?

Sounds like an interesting book.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ Sep. 28 2004, 16:11)
    I assume it is the orchestra that is 100 years old, not the players, right?
    Errr...I am guessing this assumption is correct. I doubt any of these cats are still at it:

Default Re: New Book - Embergher Mandolins

I wonder if anyone has a spare copy of Leenen-Pratt "The Embergher Mandolin" book for sale? Thanks.

Default Re: New Book - Embergher Mandolins

I believe that Ralf shipped a bunch over to Elderly a few years ago but they may have sold out. You can check with them. I can ask him.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: