Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choro Instructional Material: Recommendations

Default Re: Choro Instructional Material: Recommendations

Judging by the use of 'Greensleeves' as a means of introducing choro style through a piece familiar to many North Americans players, I'd be inclined to say that Marilynn's book is geared to newcomers and beginning players.

Good on her for trying to cultivate a new audience for choro.

I've only read the table of contents, so can't otherwise comment. Down here in NZ, it will be a long time before I actually bump into a copy.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoople View Post
    Judging by the use of 'Greensleeves' as a means of introducing choro style through a piece familiar to many North Americans players, I'd be inclined to say that Marilynn's book is geared to newcomers and beginning players.
    My take -- after having had a chance to look at it briefly now -- is that it may well be aimed at newcomers to Choro (lots of interesting stuff on rhythm for example) but not really beginners. You'd have to be a solid intermediate to tackle this in my opinion and there is no tab. I am a pretty intermediate player and not a good reader (though improving rapidly now that I am actually spending some time at working to improve my reading skills) and this is going to be a serious challenge for me.

-David

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoople View Post
    cdbaby is also where some of Dudu Maia's recordings are available. He tends to explore his own distinctive way of playing, but has proven that he's got his "authenticity chops" down with his tribute to Luperce Miranda, 'Bandolim Brasileiro.' Dudu's stuff is great either way.
    Speaking of Luperce Miranda... I was listening to Dudu's recording and some recordings of Miranda. Today I received my copy opf the white book from sambastore.com (Very exciting). However, I only see two tunes by Luperce Miranda. I was wondering where I might find the sheet music for others. I esp like Giceli and Bate Palmas.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    So, where does one get the white Choro songbook?
    Hey irony of ironies: I just got my white Choro songbook ordered from Brazil from sambastore.com. It took awhile and cost bucks. I was just looking at Elderly and lo and behold, they how carry it here. And I had just ordered Mike Marshall's book from them a little while ago. Either they just started carrying the white book or else I somehow missed it inmy search on their site.

In any case, it is there and available for anyone who doesn't have it already. I plan to make a trip to Kinko's to get it and my Mair/Sa book spiral bound. I have a feeling I will be using these lots.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Speaking of Luperce Miranda... I was listening to Dudu's recording and some recordings of Miranda. Today I received my copy opf the white book from sambastore.com (Very exciting). However, I only see two tunes by Luperce Miranda. I was wondering where I might find the sheet music for others. I esp like Giceli and Bate Palmas.
    I seem to be answering all my own questions (with some help). Linda Binder told me of a folio of Luperce Miranda tunes which is just what I am looking for. Looks like I can order form the publisher but it might be sort of circuitous with some sort of bank wires required. I also inquired with a bookstore in Brazil that seems to carry it. Has anyone else gotten this book recently in the US? Might anyone else be interested?

The book's publisher is here: Luperce Miranda Book

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: