Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: October Tune

Nevertheless, Roger, I really enjoy your fiddling on Sally, aswell as Ashokan Farewell that you did a while ago. Those are gems.(and the others!).
    It seems to me you´re digging into what old-time fiddletunes really are about.

Søren

Hey David,
    Nice recording! And don't be sorry to PC users, don't forget they choose to use a PC. I've been wanting to try GarageBand but I want to make sure My system can run it. I have a G3 ibook. What system do you have and how do you connect your mic? Also, do you have to align tracks in GarageBand or is that not a problem?
    Welcome to the board!
    Josh

MikeB, you say that you feel getting lost much of the time, but I definitely don´t think you are.
    It´s a grand feeling when picking turns into some kind of zen and just takes you away.
    By that, I mean you are not "away" - just on a walkabout.
    Keep walking!

Søren

Joshro - thanks for the kind review. I hope I am not going too off topic here, but I wanted to answer you -
    I believe that you will be able to run Garage Band on your G3 iBook (in fact, I am typing on one right this minute). You will need system 10.2.8, at least, and you need iLife, which is $50 and includes Garage Band. You may not be able to run the loops on your iBook, but I think you will be able to record. You will need some kind of audio interface too, since the iBook doesn't have a mic input. You might want to check the apple website for all the details and requirements. Track syncing will be no problem.
    (My own setup is MOTU's digital performer running on a dual 2gHz G5, with MOTU's 896HD interface and a Rhode Condenser mic.)
    Best of luck!
    My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

I've just uploaded my Bill C.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    Roger - fiddlegit

Thanks for answering David. I already have a mic setup for my ibook. I run a dynamic through the imic - works great.
    Unfortunately I am on OS 10.1 and can't afford to upgrade to 10.2...guess that means no GarageBand for me for Christmas.

fiddlegit...

*love* the 'merican Groove you have goin' on there...right off the top
    from the first notes..! What a cool effect... consider it *stolen*..

heh..

craigtoo
    (so glad discussions about other instruments are also welcome..! cool place to hang)
    Director of Operations - East Coast
    D'Addario & Company Inc.
    www.daddario.com

Took the whole month and still not down on September Song yet,
    somebody is accelerating the calendar ! Piano!!
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have looked high and low and I have NO idea WHERE you guys are uploading your tunes! Could someone please point me in the right direction? (Sorry)

JenWantstaJam -
    I am sure someone else can give more specifics, but I am new here too... You need to join the mandolin project group at Yahoo.com (you will need a Yahoo username and password - all free). That is where the tunes get uploaded, then they get moved to the mandolin project website from there. I hope this helps!
    My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

Jen, go to www.mandolinproject.150m.com. Click Join Yahoo groups, and it takes you to where the uploading is going on. First you must join the group like David says above.
    Click "Files" and choose the folder you want to upload to.
    That´s pretty much it.

Looking forward to hear your recordings!
    Søren

I have just added my version of this tune. It's short, so give it a listen!

Short but sweet Phantoj, nice feel with some interesting touches. I enjoyed it!
    Roger - fiddlegit

I wanted to add that I've been playing mandolin for less than a month.

My file was submitted under the yahoo name "brianrages"...

Thanks for the kind words. As far as interesting touches, I think I played it note-for-note off the mando cafe tab...

...I think.

It's short to keep my flub percentage down low enough to get a (mostly) error-free recording.

...I didn't have my metronome for timing, so don't count the beats.

Brian, you´re kidding?
    You have only been playing mandolin for a month? That´s promising!

I enjoyed your recording, only wanted it to be a little longer. (ran out of tape?)

I wonder if you´ve been picking the guitar for 10 years or more...you´re gonna do great with the mando.

Søren

Yes, I've been playing guitar for about twelve years, although I was pretty lazy for the first nine, and it's only been in the last three (when I bought a decent guitar) that I've been a real student of the instrument.

I worked on flatpicking fiddle tunes on guitar a bit a couple years ago, and I am sort of comfortable with the alternate picking - still have a ways to go on right hand technique.

For a guitarist playing mandolin, once you have drilled a tune into your fingers, you can play it just as easily as if it were on a guitar. Actually, easier - mandolins are set up to play fiddle tunes.

I feel like my "feel" is sometimes off on tunes that I've learned strictly from tab. I've not really jammed much. And of course timing is always an area for improvement.

Fiddlegit: Lovely recording!!! I just love fiddles!! (I've started playing the fiddle too, did I say that? my first fiddle recording is not too far away)

Sjusk, you do a wonderful job as always.

Farmerf5, you have a great tone at your playing, very well done. And the same goes for you, Phantoj. Keep up the good work. I hope all the newbies take the time to record our old tunes of the month!

Collings, great job! I like your version.....it's the same as I'm playing, just that I play in slow motion compared to you.

I hope I didn't forget anyone but if I did, I can say that all recordings of Bill that I've heard so far have been great. Keep up the good work folks. I hope to have something to come up with soon. I've played too much fiddle lately so I haven't practiced our tunes on the mandolin.

It looks like the Yahoo site is out of space, so I've put my mp3 of Mr Bill on my music page:

http://users.manchester.edu/Facstaff...musicindex.htm

BEAUTIFUL, dude!!!! A wonderful version!! Did you improvise it yourself! Really nicely done! I should start working on it myself, havent done much on the project lately, but you're giving me lots of inspiration!!!

Thanks, Susanne. The basic melody is stolen mostly from Ohmsen's Fiddle Tune Method for Modern Mandolin. I invented the double stop parts myself (very far from improvised on the spot). Since the chords for the A part hang on A and D for a while, I made some changes there. Now that I've listened to some other recordings, mine sure sounds slow! Oh well, more oldtime than bluegrass, I guess.

D.H.

Blog Entries

Well here's my first go around w/ y'all on the Song Project part of the Cafe. Here is my Dawgish version of Bill Cheatam:

http://homepage.mac.com/richter30/iMovieTheater35.html

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by (Dave Hicks @ Oct. 19 2004, 23:09)
    Thanks, Susanne. #The basic melody is stolen mostly from Ohmsen's Fiddle Tune Method for Modern Mandolin. #I invented the double stop parts myself (very far from improvised on the spot). #Since the chords for the A part hang on A and D for a while, I made some changes there. #Now that I've listened to some other recordings, mine sure sounds slow! #Oh well, more oldtime than bluegrass, I guess.

D.H.
    Cool! I have that book too but haven't used it very much yet. A friend got it for me but then I moved on over to the fiddle, or Irish tunes on the mando, since I'm going to Ireland soon and would like to join some sessions there. But then I'll have to try those things out, there are some great improvisation ideas in that book.

i haven't listened to all of this months recordings but Collings470 is pretty awesome.....
    lots of good music here
    sbarnes (grits1331)

I'm lost...what exactly is this? where does one vote?