Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Tune

Looks like an interesting 4 horse race at the moment!

Old Joe Clark 5
    Cripple Creek 4
    Bill Cheatham 4
    Cumberland Gap 4
    Roger - fiddlegit

Yer, a tight race! BUT...

...why are so few of the MP members using their vote?
    217 members - and once the poll is over we may have 30 votes! (23 in the October poll at this moment).
    I suggest that everybody should allow themselves to vote, whether they feel up to uploading or not.
    Could it be that a lot of members actually practice the winning tune, but don´t want to "broadcast" the result of their work?
    If so, I think they should cast their vote and use their influence.
    I think we need more members to be involved, one way or the other. Reading the Mandolin Cafe discussions with 20-25 "hardcore" contributors, may give the impression to some "quiet souls" that this is a kind of a "secret club".
    IT IS NOT!
    Join the club and let´s make music!

And don´t forget to vote!

(Just a few thoughts.)
    Søren

Yeah, I'm guilty of dropping out of the project for quite a few months now. I've been focusing on jazz mandolin, to the exclusion of all other styles. My lessons are over for now, since I have to save money in preparation for changing careers to teaching.

But I'm going to start back on playing bluegrass, which is what the mandolin project seems to exclusively focus on. I'm not making any promises about uploading tunes, but I'll put in a vote.

Kelly

Don't really have a preference this month, do have a vote in the poll but I could be bought! Got the last few months tunes down and a few others Iv'e been working on.. Still like Bennigus's "Red Haired Rastifarian" Bettin it would win one month if He'd tab it out
    Jim Coulter

I'm still here- trying to put Whiskey Before Breakfast together on clawhammer banjo and mandolin( it ain't an easy piece of clawhammer). Almost ready.
    I voted already, but you are right that all should vote whether they post a tune or not. The non-posters get a lot of examples of a tune to listen to- and it really helps.
    best
    jgwoods
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

How do you all record yourself playing and upload it to the computer. Is there a cheap program that I could get to do it with my computer and a microphone. thanks, mh

I think alot of us use Audacity, and it's as cheap as you can get--FREE. Just download it from their website. Don't forget to download the LAME encoder too. You need this to export your recording as MP3.
    Good luck!
    Audacity
    Josh

The standard warning to add to that: In order to get a decent recording, you're likely to need a pre-amp to boost the microphone output up to line level and to use the "line-in" socket of the soundcard. Plugging a microphone directly into the microphone socket is likely to give you a noisy recording. A cheap pre-amp will do the trick; they start at around $30.

Martin

I don't agree with you. It depends on your microphone. Since I got my new mic, the recordings have been excellent, very good sound. But, many people have problems to synchrnize tracks in Audacity. It's a big problem with that program. I recently changed to Cool Edit, which is just perfect. But, if you have lots of patience (or luck) and don't want to spend the fortune that Cool Edit costs (or get it from Kazaa as I did), Audacity is a great choice. It's good that such a program exists for free, even if it has its disadvantages.

martin, just want to know if you have any experience with the cheap pre-amp put in between say a gooseneck mic on the mando and an accoustic amplifyer/PA?
    It obviously works fine with the computer, I just wonder if it makes a good sound "live".
    A good friend recommended Rane AP 13, a pre-amp designed for accoustic instruments.
    30$ for a pre-amp sounds cheap, but perhabs the pre-amp isn´t "cheap"?

Søren

Martin:

My sound card and $3 desktop pc mic work incredibly well throught the mic-in. I have the onboard nVIDIA Soundstorm audio and it is near perfection, even with the ultimate cheapo mic. In fact the cheapo mic gives better/warmer mandolin tone than my $225 Sound Professionals pre-amped unit.

Decent sound cards can be found for less than $50, if you are haveing trouble with yours.

Cheers,
    Pete

Søren --

The one I use is the B-Tech BT26, which is GBP19.95 here and I've seen it on Ebay a bit cheaper. Very nice pre-amp for my needs and also works as a phono pre-amp for the turntable. Of course, for professional purposes you may want to spend more, but this is a sturdy, good-sounding piece of kit.

Martin

Susanne/Pete --

Clearly you have managed to get good quality recordings with connecting a mic directly to the computer without pre-amp, so my statement was too general. Desktop PC mics are designed for direct connection, so I'm not surprised that the sound levels are fine, but I am surprised that the sound quality is acceptable (which it clearly is). I don't have a problem with my soundcard (a Soundblaster Audigy 2), it's just that my microphone (which is rather nice) supplies an output level that is designed to be pre-amped up to line level and if you don't pre-amp it, the level is too low for the acceptable input range of the soundcard on either mic or line-in socket. I would expect the same to apply for most non-PC mics. As discussed, PC mics are different as they provide a higher output level to start with. So, it does depend on the microphone.

Martin

Getting back to the topic of the thread, Bill Cheathum's the winner by one vote. It's a very popular tune with fiddler's, and it's one I know quite well as I used to play back up guitar in a band with a very good mando picker, and it was one of his favourites. I'm looking forward to hearing some great renditions of this fine tune.
    Roger - fiddlegit

Cool... this is one tune that I've been working on since I got my mando a week ago.

You do accept submissions from newbies on the mandoproject website...?

Quote Originally Posted by (Phantoj @ Sep. 30 2004, 15:28)
    Cool... this is one tune that I've been working on since I got my mando a week ago.

You do accept submissions from newbies on the mandoproject website...?
    Absolutely! looking forward to newbies, oldbies, and wannabes all submitting tunes.

I voted for Bill Cheatem, so yay! now I gotta figure out how to pick it clean, there's a spot in there that ties my fingers in knots- maybe someone will submit a version that unties 'em.

best
    jgwoods
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

One minute I look and ´Old Joe Clark´ is in the lead, then ´Bill Cheatham´ comes from nowhere. Both good tunes. #I´ve uploaded my bare bones (familiar style), and it should be showing up on the Project soon. #I skipped September, because I didn´t know ´East Tennesse Blues,´ which is not a good excuse, and I´ve been trying to play a few tunes on the fiddle. #Painful so far! farmerf5

All That Glitters is not Scrolled! #Dan

Play em like you know em!

YAAAY!!!!!! I love that tune!!!

I am happy to be a new member of this online community, and have already had a lot of fun and learned much listening to the old posts! I have uploaded my first contribution to the project's Yahoo page, which I guess will make it to the main page sometime soon. I am a sucker for harmonies, so I threw a harmony part on my second time through Cheatham. I am looking forward to what will come next!

p.s. - I would love to get a mando orchestra going in CT - any takers out there in the Northeast?
    My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

Welcome to the Cafe Dave! Great playing! You sure know how to make a 'grand entrance'.

- Benignus

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Sep. 30 2004, 16:56)
    Susanne/Pete --

Clearly you have managed to get good quality recordings with connecting a mic directly to the computer without pre-amp, so my statement was too general. #Desktop PC mics are designed for direct connection, so I'm not surprised that the sound levels are fine, but I am surprised that the sound quality is acceptable (which it clearly is). #I don't have a problem with my soundcard (a Soundblaster Audigy 2), it's just that my microphone (which is rather nice) supplies an output level that is designed to be pre-amped up to line level and if you don't pre-amp it, the level is too low for the acceptable input range of the soundcard on either mic or line-in socket. #I would expect the same to apply for most non-PC mics. #As discussed, PC mics are different as they provide a higher output level to start with. #So, it does depend on the microphone.

Martin
    Certainly, if you don't want to buy a pc mic, you will have to use a pre-amp to get a decent recording. I didn't get that you had a non-pc mic.

Welcome in the club, David Miller...and wow, what a kick! Your recording really knocked me over. Tempo, clarity and +++! Keep them coming.

Roger, I just sat back and enjoyed Sally Gooden. Do I get this wrong, or is it two fiddles going on? If so, did you double yourself, or did you have a friend there? Great recording. (You know, I only started mandolin because of my no good bowing arm. I envy you a bit. You know I´m about fiddlemusic)

I took the day off, and spent my time working with Bill Cheatham. Just uploaded my version 10 minutes ago, but gotta admit it has some bad timing in it; nevertheless, being newly introduced to a tune occasionly adds some energy, which hopefully makes up for the lack of technics.

farmerf5: your timing is just admirable - wish it was mine!
    Smolt: you bring such a galant flow into this untimely whiskeyinthemorning-thing - your fingers do the walking, right?
    mbuessler: you´re just on the right thing here, and it´s impressive what you get out of our good old darling Clementine. You´re on a walkabout, but you never forgets where home is.
    Tjej: as always solid timing and clarity, I´m a sucker for that, and this time in the Irish mode; I guess you´re warming up for Ennis, right?
    Benignus: You were really fast on the planet/plant mix-up, made me smile loud!

Søren

Søren ,

Great reviews of everyone's contributions. #Thank you for mine. #"A walkabout," huh? #I guess that fits, except I feel so lost most of the time.

Dave Miller,

Yours is the last tune I downloaded. HOLY SMOKES! #Nice job on BCheatham! # When I hear a really nifty arrangement of a tune I know, I always file it away and STEAL, STEAL, STEAL...in fact, when I play alone, I sound like a slow, slightly clunky Benignus. #Same notes, but a *different* feel. #

Thanks guys for your reviews, and for making me welcome as a new member of this community! I look forward to all I am going to learn listening to you all.
    MikeB - its only stealing when you arent supposed to do it.... please feel free to take anything I do - I know I borrow from everyone else I hear as well - part of the joy of this kind of community!
    My two bits in terms of the whole "how to make a recording thing" - if you are lucky enough to me a Mac user (sorry to the PC users out there) Garage Band is definitely worth checking out, and it comes free, and/or cheap.

Pax!

My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

Quote Originally Posted by (sjusk @ Oct. 07 2004, 19:47)
    Do I get this wrong, or is it two fiddles going on? If so, did you double yourself, or did you have a friend there?
    Søren
    Søren, It's just me, one fiddle, but for an experiment I put a touch of phase effect on the fiddle track and I think I must have inadvertently saved it like that, then couldn't get rid of it. (not sure I like it!)

Roger - fiddlegit