Thread: Orthodox Celts song

Question Orthodox Celts song

Hello all!!

While I am patiently waiting to get my first mandolin delivered to me (probably won't arrive until after this weekend)...I am listening to some of my favorite tunes (Irish, rock, etc) so I can figure out the chords and their progression once I do get my mandolin. Once tune in particular I would love to play along with: "Captain Moonlight and Me"; an original song by Orthodox Celts. If you never heard the song, here is a YouTube link to it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1lTqsfd9Q

So my questions are:
    1. Can someone get me started on what chords are being played or at the very least let me know what key it is in so I can try to figure out the chords myself
    2. Starting at 4:46 in the video, the song gets a very irregular beat...or at least a strong downbeat in a place that is not expected. Would anyone be able to tell me the time signature of this segment of the song? I have tried to count it out and always get thrown off on the strong irregular downbeat.

Of course I am thinking that I am going to be able to pick-up my mandolin and start playing it....even though I have never touched a string instrument before. I am hoping to at least be able to play some 2 finger chords with some practice and then, hopefully, be able to play along with some of my favorite tunes. I just hope I am able to get the gist of playing well enough to do so.

Rob

Default Re: Orthodox Celts song

Hey Rob, never heard of this band before, does the "orthodox" refer to the Christian religion? Being both Orthodox and English myself I too find this an intriguing name.

Apparently, they're from Belgrade, so "Orthodox" really means "Eastern Orthodox" here.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoviol View Post
    Apparently, they're from Belgrade, so "Orthodox" really means "Eastern Orthodox" here.
    Unless they consider themselves Orthodox Celts, and practice the Druid faith.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Yeah, I really don't know much about the band....other then I really liked their tunes! I have been trying to figure out the chords to this song now that I got my mandolin but still having problems. Right now I can only play 2 finger chords. I have tried 3 but my fingers won't behave yet. The chords I can play are G, C, D, F and E minor. I am really trying to get A major down...but that is just really hard to keep my first finger on the 3&4th stings at the 2nd fret and then stretch the other 2 fingers. Oh well, I keep practicing....I hope to get it down eventually.
    Rob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rap4th View Post
    Of course I am thinking that I am going to be able to pick-up my mandolin and start playing it....even though I have never touched a string instrument before. I am hoping to at least be able to play some 2 finger chords with some practice and then, hopefully, be able to play along with some of my favorite tunes. I just hope I am able to get the gist of playing well enough to do so.
    Some of the skills will take longer than you expect, others will come quickly. But you will have a ripping good time right away.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....