Thread: "The Chinery Collection"

Default "The Chinery Collection"

Those of you on here with an interest in instruments other than Mandolins only,may,like myself, over the years have purchased books on instruments. I have George Gruhn's 2 books.The one on acoustic instruments & the one on electric instruments.
    Back in 1999 there was a limited edition hardback book issued portraying the collection of instruments put together bythe late Scott Chinery,which includes the famous 'blue Guitar' collection.
    I found a brand new copy (#1203) a few years ago in a discontinued book store,not far from my home.I bought it for 20 UK (($35 US). Yesterday i recommended a couple of books to another 'Cafe member over here in the UK,one was the Gruhn 'acoustic' book
    & the other was the Chinery book. Knowing that the Chinery book was a limited edition,i had a trawl thro.the 'net to see what was available. I got the shock of my life. Amazon had 3 copies available - 1 new one at 850 UK ($1275 US) & 2 'used' ones at 800 UK ($1200 US).
    The reason for this post is that if any of you like myself have this book,for which you may have paid a 'nominal' price as i did,be aware that it's a valuable book.I was totally unaware of it's value,having never seen the 'original full pricing',
    Ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Chinery & a 'few Guitars'..jpg 
Views:	1753 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	57258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Chinery_Collection_book..jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	57259  
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: "The Chinery Collection"

Some guys a couple of years ago opened a store near here called "E-guitars." They had purchased the greater part of Scott Chinery's collection so they opened a store to dispose of the instruments. They didn't get any of the Blue Guitars but they had scads of Larsons and harp guitars including the Larson "Big Boy". It was a great store but it was only open for a short time. They didn't display everything at once so I kept going back to see what new gems they were displaying. I went by there one day and they were gone.

Hi Barney - Thanks for the input. I saw a link to the website of 'E-Guitars' when i was trawling thro.,looking for the book. I didn't know what had happened to the collection other than the Blue Guitars' are in a collection somewhere,maybe the US Library of Congress or some such place,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

In case you're interested they now have a few more books on Amazon. One for "only" $295 (though that's much less than last year). I bought a former Chinery Collection guitar at the Chicago Music Exchange, although they didn't know it. I found it out by tracking down the luthier after I bought it. It would be nice to have a registry to find out where his collection ended up. I heard some went to the Smithsonian, and some were still locked in a trailer somewhere deteriorating (would be a real shame).

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Jennings View Post
    ...It would be nice to have a registry to find out where his collection ended up. I heard some went to the Smithsonian, and some were still locked in a trailer somewhere deteriorating (would be a real shame).
    At least, none of them went into the grave with him, I guess (see this current thread).
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

There was an attempt (unsuccessfully apparently) to donate the collection to the Smithsonian by the family so they ended up selling almost all the collection to Michael Indelicato who then started the E Guitar Store. I think many were sold off pretty quickly. Michael Indelicato also purchased "The Plant" recording studio in Sausalito but ran into financial difficulties that resulted in the closure of The Plant and E Guitars. How many of the Chinery Collection guitars that he still had or has I don't know but I think the bulk of the collection was pretty much scattered to the wind---- but not as ashes--- so the instruments are somewhere being played we hope.