Thread: Which to play today?

Default Which to play today?

Finally got out of motorcycles after 35 years. Got permission from the wife, took part of the cash of selling off the bikes, sold my beloved '17 Gibson here on the cafe to a great new owner, took my time and found just the right MT and -- to have the best of both worlds -- a great deal on an '07 Custom Bitterroot (thanks to Tom at Janet Davis Music).

I love them both. Wonderful and subtle difference in tone. Both have necks that fit me terrific. What's my flavor today?

I'm done. No, really!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	65195  

Default Re: Which to play today?

Both.

Whichever is in your hand at this moment! Sometimes, too many mandolins is not quite enough!

Both these mandos far exceed my playing ability at this juncture. But I felt very strongly about wanting to buy American and support if I could great shops that pay living wages. Having these instruments inspires me every time I pick them up to try and get the tone from them that I know they are capable of producing if played well.

By the way, let me just say that the folks at both Collings and Weber are first rate. They answered my questions prior to my purchases and I know, should anything down the road ever need doing on either ax, they will be there to make things right.

My son and daughter, both musicians, have chosen which mando will be theirs upon my eventual parting. They also understand how much it means to me to know that they will be holding and playing the instruments on which paps spent so many joyful hours making what music I could.

A very nice choice of Mandolins there !. I love my Weber Fern & the ONLY Collings MT i've ever played,was superb in every way & i'd love one. Only the lack of the necessary shekels prevents me from having one. I have 2 mandolins & both get played either on a daily rotation basis or both get played the same day - whatever suits me,
    Enjoy ! - Ivan
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Nov-29-2010 at 2:35am. Reason: Sppelin errer
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

OP question inexplicably reminds me of this old cartoon. Beware of too much mandonia...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Playing mandolin is so much safer than riding a motorcycle, and almost as much fun. Enjoy!!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Is that a Wyeth print hanging on the wall next to your mando? If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a favorite of mine.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

Indeed it is. Once had an English Pointer just like the one in the painting who slept exactly like that on my bed! My current best friend does as well!

I used up all nine lives in my many years on bikes (BMWs, Ducatis mostly) and feel blessed to be "walking away" from that pursuit of adrenaline. I did have countless spiritual rides, however, and will never forget the feeling.

Practicing scales on the mando is indeed a higher use of my time!