Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mann 5 string electric

Thumbs up Mann 5 string electric

Just got a 5 string hollow body from Jon Mann. Top notch instrument, workmanship, sound, service, communication, etc. Would highly recommend his work to anyone interested in an electric.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Default Re: Mann 5 string electric

Welcome to the club Pete. I love my EM-5. I like that the acoustic volume of mine (completely hollow) is loud enough to play on its own.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Maybe we'll get a photo or sound clip sometime?

I am a LONG way from being an electric player, as I need to get an amp and learn how to twist the nobs, then how to produce a good tone from an electric instrument as well as find out how and when to use that pesky 5th string. IF I ever get to that point, I'll post a few tunes on Utube.

I like the Mann cause it has the closest to a Joe Pass/Wes Montgomery jazz sound. I am now looking at amps. Anybody have suggestions for what I might look at? I figure I need between 30 and 50 watts, something not to big and heavy, but good enough to gig in a fairly small venue. I am trying out a friends Fender Princeton today.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Blog Entries

I am deeply interested in Roger Bacorn's amps http://www.bacornguitars.com/amps/index.html. Unfortunately, I don't have to cash to grab one. Though Roger quoted me a number much less than $1000.

I have had a lot of success with smaller amps. In fact I don't own one that exceeds 25w, and the best mando amps I have use 10" or smaller speakers.

So think 15 to 20w, 10" speakers. Solid state is OK if the transformer imparts a nice smooth signal, and they have the benefit of being lighter than tube amps. But tube amps almost always impart better tone than solid state amps.

It's possible I just got lucky with my Marshall G15R-CD (15w solid state, 10" speaker, 2 preamp channels) when I needed to replace the transformer after the amp took a short fall. New and better transformer took the edge off the tone. Total damage for amp and repair was less than $200.00 (I bought the amp used). Right now it's the Go-To box for indoor gigs. One small downside: the Bass tone control knob is next to useless.

I'd love to have a conversation with an amp builder that goes like this:
    Me: Can you tailor the tone circuit to the frequency range of a 5 string mandolin?
    Him/Her: Yes.
    Me: Excellent. Make it 3 band, parametric.

Daniel

Pete 50 watts will be crankin loud and i suspect even a with a 30 watt you'd be somewhat overpowered. would love to hear your thoughts on the princeton when you try it....

I was petty much decided on a Fender Blues Jr (before discovering the Blackstar HT-5 ministack), Low wattage all valve tone being what i was after... definitely make sure you have enough EQ to adjust the amp's tone to suit the higher register. good luck and keep us posted.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

There's alot of good, lower wattage amps out there. What are you going to do with it? Loud band with drums? Home use? The Blues Jr is a good amp. Also, look for a Peavey Delta Blues with the 15" speaker. That would probably fatten up the sound.
    I'm getting a Bluestar 5 string next week, and I'm curious to hear it through my ZT Lunchbox http://www.ztamplifiers.com/ . These are great little amps for some things, but not for others. My '44 Epiphone with a floating humbucker sounds incredible through the lunchbox, but my Telecaster didn't. Plus, it's completely loud enough for a bar gig with a drummer, and only weighs 9 pounds! I'm going to have their new Club model for a review in April, which might be better for a mandolin.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

The Club .. as in hit them over the head with one ?

The Acoustic 2 channel one, seen on that link, has gotten my attention. an 8x8x9" cube.

As If My Roland AC 60 is Big, by amp size comparisons ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Mann 5 string electric

When I ordered my first custom emando from Jonathan I also purchased a Fender Twinn Reverb amp. Wooeee! did I curl the roof with that one. I still have it's volume sitting on only about the 1-1/2 setting. Being a beginner I guess I figured louder would help cover my mistakes. My wife said it didn't, haa. It sure sounds nice with the Custom Mann 8 string emando.
    Shorty

I just bought the new Emsc-5 and can't wait to take it shopping for a new amp. I've tested my Fender through a couple Vox amps I liked, and was quite surprised by the Vox VT15. It's 15w, 8" driver, with digital modeling and tube power amp. Plus, at GC it was only 169... I played through a VT50 last sunday at a gig and loved it, too. I like the Vox tone. I'll probably buy a VT15 or VT30. The VT50 is the smallest model with a balanced output to plug into a board, but that's a lot of amp. I'd also like to try the Mann through a Bugera V22 at GC. Cheap tube amps are exciting to me right now.
    Less talk, more pick.

Oh, and I second your sentiment about Jon Mann and his work. Top notch builder and great guy. Can't say enough good things.
    Less talk, more pick.

Anyone try one of these little 30w Marhsalls with a 10-nch speaker and effects for only about $200? I know if you're buying a fine guitar you may want a better amplifier, but it seams like a good deal. (I'm not promoting the specific dealer, I just found the link to a photo).
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=501643

I have a 3/5w switchable Blackheart combo. It's pretty dang loud for most settings (even garage rehearsal with a drummer I'm usually on 3w and turned to about 5-6). About $250. I just had some maintenance and the amp guy RAVED about the quality of construction.
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Yes, I have the 30W Marshall MG4. Sounds great with electric guitar. It's pretty good for mandolin, although it's a little quiet clean. Sounds good with a little (or a lot) of distortion; lots of fun! OTOH, I 'm using an acoustic/electric (Goldtone GM110), so it's probably not the same as using an electric mandolin. YMMV, so try it before buying (should be available at any local music store.)

And since this thread is about Jon Mann - I put in an order for a Mann EM8 octave, partly based on all the mentions of him here. And yes, he is really good to work with. He took a good bit of time to explain everything to me, and is very open to questions. I'm looking forward to playing the manndo. I'll let you know how it works with the Marshall, although I'm already thinking it deserves a new amp (he, and others, recommend a tube amp). Especially since my son has appropriated the Marshall...

Quote Originally Posted by TeleMark View Post
    I have a 3/5w switchable Blackheart combo. It's pretty dang loud for most settings (even garage rehearsal with a drummer I'm usually on 3w and turned to about 5-6). About $250. I just had some maintenance and the amp guy RAVED about the quality of construction.
    I have four of the heads (loved the amp, wasn't too thrilled with the combo or the Blackheart 1 X 12 cab). Correction, I had four, I just sold one to a friend and he's nuts over it - uses it in his Beatles/Who/Stones tribute band. One of my hobbies is designing and building small tube amps. If they'd been making the Blackheart when I started I probably wouldn't have bothered building my own - that puppy is a great little amp and a tweaker's dream. My amps tend to have more gain, but I can't build an amp for what they are selling those for (especially since I bought mine when they were first introduced before the prices went up).

The only down side is that the tubes in them are terrible. One of mine came with a preamp tube that was so microphonic that you could rub the front panel and hear it in the speaker (keep in mind we're talking about a head, here). Still, tubes are easy to replace and not that expensive.

BTW, here's a review/tweaking article I wrote on them a year or so ago... http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/bh5h/index.php

The Blackheart would probably be a really good amp for an electric (magnetic) mandolin. For mandolin even the Blackheart 1 X 12 (or the combo) is probably even a good choice - I just didn't think it had enough bass response for guitar.

As much as I love these amps, though, I don't think one would be my first choice for an acoustic-electric mandolin - especially if I was going after a really acoustic sound.

John

Blog Entries

I have a Marshall G15R. Love it.
    The bass control knob does next to nothing. But I love the dual preamp controls (for overdrive).

Daniel

Today I came back from GC with a Vox VT30 and I've spent the last couple hours having an absolute blast with it. Lots of great clean tone, cool effects, and a lot of gritty overdrive. It's a digital front end and tube amp. Very nice sounding. The BIGGEST surprise was a noise reduction effect that absolutely KILLS buzz. The Mann has a bit of buzz when in single-coil mode and the Vox dialed it right out. I tried a few presets with my Telecaster because of course Tele's buzz and shazam, buzz is gone. Gone. The amp sounds great clean, kills hum/buzz, lightweight, cheap, tube, programmable, LOUD, plus it has power dial to go from 1-30W. I love it.

If you're shopping take a close look at the Vox VT series. It's worth a look.
    Best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Speaking of Vox amps, I ran across this one in a press release today, ac4tvmini. I wonder how a 6.5" speaker would workout for an emando. For a guitar it probably wouldn't offer much low end, but for an emando it might tighten things up a bit. Won't be out until June so we'll have to wait and see.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I have a Mann OM-8 full hollow with a peizo in the bridge and a DiMarzio near the neck and it's a wonderful instrument. It's got a mellow twang I don't hear in other electrics. I play it thru a Roland CM-30 like this:
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/242749.html

If I had one of Jon's 14" 5-strings (and I wish I did) I'm sure it would sound very similar and equally fine thru this rig.

It has all the inputs/outputs you'd ever need,minimal but functional EQ - but no reverb. So I usually just sit an Alesis Nanoverb on top of the amp and dial in a medium hall with a medium decay time and blend to suit my ear. I usually just play solo so it has plenty of volume for me. If I was gonna step up and go for the same tone I'd get a Roland AC-60 or AC-90.

Here's my Mann thru the CM-30 w/Nanoverb:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUfEXGe_N6o

If I was inclined to go tubular I'd look at a Fender Blues Junior or a Peavey Classic 30.
    -Michael Johnstone-

Michael,

It was a couple of your videos, as well as Jon's demo YouTube video, that sold me on the EM 8 OM. And, not to be a copy cat, but I also went for the full hollow with the piezo and DiMarzio. It just has a wonderful sound that was pretty much what I am looking for. Can't hardly wait for the manndo to arrive.

I'll add the Roland to my list of amps to try. I had a Cube that I liked a lot.

Added: I took a quick look at the CM30. It doesn't seem to have any effects. Were you using reverb on your videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Sager View Post
    Today I came back from GC with a Vox VT30 and I've spent the last couple hours having an absolute blast with it.
    Ken
    I just bought a Vox VT30 and it's great. The only problem is that my sons are trying to take it from me.

I took a quick look at the CM30. It doesn't seem to have any effects. Were you using reverb on your videos?
    Like I said in my previous post, I use an Alesis Nanoverb. They're dirt cheap, small footprint, quiet, sound amazingly rich and are easy to dial in.

You're gonna love your Mann EM-8 I promise you. I'm considering picking up a Peavey Delta Blues w/a 15" speaker because I like the tremolo, the 15" spkr and plus it would also sound good for Ry Cooder style fingerpicked blues guitar and lap steel guitar which is other stuff I do....
    -Michael Johnstone-

Michael - Sorry, I missed the nanoverb mention in your previous post. A 15" speaker seems pretty big, even for guitar?

chasray - I have a Marshall MG 30 watt amp that my son has appropriated. And that's okay, at 11 he's making much better use of it on guitar than I am on mando. Fun amp when I do drag out the acoustic/electric. Will be fun to try the EM8 thru it.

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Those 15" speakers sound *killer* inside the right rig, they're the gold standard for pedal and lap steel guitars. There are plenty of tele players that like them, as well.

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Jon built me a custom EM-8 and it's AWESOME! Actually that is an understatement. First of all it is stunningly beautiful and beautifully built.

I needed something that would be a good performance instrument at loud volumes with out feedback. I play mandolin in a rock band....imagine that!

Anyway, it is a full hollow body without the sound hole. That eliminates the feedback issues. It has two magnetic pickups with the push pull tone knob and a piezo in the bridge with a blender knob. Soundwise I wanted the best of both worlds....acoustic tone when needed or electric when I need to rock out. This mandolin fits the bill perfectly.

Regarding Jon Mann, great guy to deal with. Keeps in contact and sends pictures as things progress. Overall one hell of a positive experience. If you are looking for a master craftsman Jon's the mann.....sorry couldn't help the pun. Get one before the rest of the world finds out and he starts upping his prices. Mandingo