Thread: Need to know string spacing on 5-string

Default Need to know string spacing on 5-string

I'm working on a 1/2 size strat-to-electric 5 mando conversion and I need to know string spacing at nut and/or bridge on any models that are out there so that I know I am in the ballpark if I cut a new nut and/or go for a new bridge/pickup combo at some point. So far I'm been able to find nut width (not spacing, but it tells me something) on one model only.

Thanks!

Default Re: Need to know string spacing on 5-string

The string to string spacing on my bridges are 11 mm on center which is 7/16". I don't stager them any longer. The width of the 14th fret, which is where the neck joins the body, matches the outer most string width of the bridge which is 1.75". I usually use a 1.25" wide nut. I can't tell you what the string to string spacing at the nut is because I use the StewMac ruler to do string spacing but I start the outside string at about 1/8" in from the edge of the fret board. So, if I'm using a .060 string for the C then the center of the slot is .155 in from the edge of the fretboard.

Andrew

Default Re: Need to know string spacing on 5-string

best to decide who's bridge you will use before cutting. andrews are great. i don't know of any one selling five string bridges for converting a say a les paul with the arched top though john mann makes his they are not individually adjustable . and i don't know if he sells them. i am waiting for parts to convert a 19in scale avion guitar to five string but the string height at the bridge is 17mm( the body is flat though for some reason)and they have that arched two part post style .
    the neck is not strait on this guitar anyway so i will lower and level it so that the flat bridge will work. unless andrew has a bridge for me that will work? do you make any of those post style for arched top les pauls
    Last edited by rico mando; Feb-22-2010 at 12:45pm.