Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 String Questions (feel free to add more Qs!)

Default Re: 5 String Questions (feel free to add more Qs!)

Go here. I use the what Martin calls a light set. http://www.emando.com/shop/strings5.htm

I just ordered a flatwound set (normal) from Martin yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting them on my Mann. I've been using D'Addario Chromes and have been having tuning issues. Not sure if it's the strings or not. Switching up should help with the diagnosis. I'll report back on them when they arrive.

Martin, please don't tell me these are Chrome singles
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I looked at the emando.com sets, but three choices... I wonder if Martin could weigh in on the difference between his sets, and the relative sales of the three choices he has available? The lights, being the middle size of the three, seem like a good starting point.
    Johneeaaddgg

BTW, I have a 5 string under construction, incorporating a lot of advice I have received in this thread. I have attached an early photo of the body, which is mahogany and koa. Can't wait until it is finished and will post some more photos when it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John's Mandolin Project 003..jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	57527  
    Johneeaaddgg

And this is how I summarize the advice I have taken from this thread:

1. Is 14.5" a good scale length? Is 14.5" good compromise between keeping as close as possible to typical mandolin scale, while long enough to intonate properly on the C?

My mandolin will be 14-5/16" - mainly because there is a guitar fretboard template that can be used to make this scale length.

2. A lot of people sing the praises of a 5 string on this forum - anyone care to admit that wished they stuck to 4 strings? (I am going back and forth on 4 vs. 5)

I am taking the plunge, a 5 string it will be!

3. Why would one consider two pickups? (I am considering one humbucker, switchable to single coil)

I am going with a single humbucker with a series/parallel switch.

4. Why is a 5 string usually referred to as a 5 string mandolin? Isn't a 5 string just as much a mandola as a mandolin? (just wondering!)

I like the Tiny Moore explanation, so it a mandolin it is!

5. Any comments on choice of body and neck wood? (sound, playability, aesthetics, durability?)

Mine will be quarter sawn mahogany back and neck, with koa top - should be really nice

6. Radius or not? If yes, what radius?

I want to try a radiused neck, and I am going with 12" radius

7. Neck width?

1-1/4" - suggested by a few people and is the same width as my old Gibson A-1

8. String guages preferred on a 5 string?

Still like some advice here, but will probably set it up to play with emando.com lights

Thanks everyone for replies!
    Last edited by John L; Apr-21-2010 at 7:50pm. Reason: correcting a typo
    Johneeaaddgg

John,
    Great minds must think alike. Are you doing a bolt on neck?

So, I think mine is a Venetian and yours would be a Florentine. Is that right?

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2417..jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	57535  

The answer to all my questions is complete and will be picked up in the next few days at Frankinstein Guitar Works near Woodstock, Ontario. I will start a new thread with some photos. It is a 5 string, 14-5/16" scale, 12" radius neck, mahogany with koa top, rosewood fingerboard, Sperzel tuners, with a series/parallel switched humbucker.
    Johneeaaddgg

Quote Originally Posted by John L View Post
    I looked at the emando.com sets, but three choices... I wonder if Martin could weigh in on the difference between his sets, and the relative sales of the three choices he has available? The lights, being the middle size of the three, seem like a good starting point.
    Informally, I'd say the Lights are probably the most popular, but Normals are pretty close. Ultralights are a distant third. I do have some odd gauges and will put together any custom set you want. For a longer-scale instrument like 14.5", Lights would be my first choice.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls