Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my Mandobird pick-up from Almuse

Default Just got my Mandobird pick-up from Almuse

And I have to say it was well worth doing! Getting the volume even was easy, it was more even than the stock even before adjusting the pole piece. Noticeably warmer sound with the new magnet, the sound is now much less "shrieky". I'll see if I can get a clip up from my lousy camera.

Default Re: Just got my Mandobird pick-up from Almuse

I just ordered one. Thanks for the info. Can't wait.
    - Thanks to all of you out there

HLS

I just finished installing my new Mandobird pickup from Almuse, and agree, it is terrific. What I've been looking for for a long time. You won't be sorry.

HLS

Who is Almuse? Something I missed?
    Sheryl --- Me

Company name. Pete Mallinson is the maker. Apparently he also makes instruments.

I still don't have footage. But the new sound was very well received at band practice. A little chorus and reverb and I have a great cool jazzy sound that I really like. The pickup is just a bit quieter than the old one, but that's a consequence of evening out the response, all I have to do is turn the volume up a tad.

HLS

To clarify, I really mean the G is a bit quieter, I am used to judging by it, because it was always the loudest before. D is the same, A and E louder.

Thanks for the link, high lonesome. I'll have to add one to my want list.
    Sheryl --- Me

Just ordered a MB8 pickup from Pete... hopefully he can shed some light on what the difference in a MB4 will be... now to decide which 'bird gets the almuse, and which gets 2 ounces of Seymore Duncan. - there a now 2 nude 'birds in my household.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner098 View Post
    Just ordered a MB8 pickup from Pete... hopefully he can shed some light on what the difference in a MB4 will be... now to decide which 'bird gets the almuse, and which gets 2 ounces of Seymore Duncan. - there a now 2 nude 'birds in my household.
    The MB4 is back under development and I`ve a bought a used mandobird as the test bed - the only real difference between the 8 string and 4 string mandos is the string spacing.
    Although I haven`t had one to bits, I suspect that the 8 string `bird has the same pickup as the 4 - 1/2 a P bass but has a closed cover to disguise the fact that the pole pieces don`t line up.
    I was rather surprised by the sound of the 4 string `bird so I`ll probably create a humbucker to at least give a different character.

CheeryBye!

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfarmer Pete View Post
    The MB4 is back under development and I`ve a bought a used mandobird as the test bed - the only real difference between the 8 string and 4 string mandos is the string spacing.
    Although I haven`t had one to bits, I suspect that the 8 string `bird has the same pickup as the 4 - 1/2 a P bass but has a closed cover to disguise the fact that the pole pieces don`t line up.
    I was rather surprised by the sound of the 4 string `bird so I`ll probably create a humbucker to at least give a different character.

CheeryBye!
    any eta on the MB4? I'll be going for one as soon as they're ready, finally found someone interested in a metal project with a mandolinist

Quote Originally Posted by ryanunser View Post
    any eta on the MB4? I'll be going for one as soon as they're ready, finally found someone interested in a metal project with a mandolinist
    Metal & mandolin! My kind of language.
    Hopefully there will be a couple of options available by the end of next week. Also, the guitarist in our band is a sheet metal worker and we`re trying to figure out how to make a Vibrola style tailpiece for the mandobird 4 (or maybe a Bogsby or a Floyd Nose - name obviously inspired by Givsons :-)
    Cheers
    Pete

Does the Almuse pickup for the Mandobird VIII require any routing, or does it fit in the existing holes (including screws)?

I really want to even out the sound and get some more of the E in the mix.
    Think globally, bike locally.

Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    Does the Almuse pickup for the Mandobird VIII require any routing, or does it fit in the existing holes (including screws)?

I really want to even out the sound and get some more of the E in the mix.
    Standard "P" bass cover so no extra routing. Holes are the same. Only fiddly bit is soldering the wires to volume pot which (since the control cavity is tight) is probably easier if the knob is removed, the nut undone and the pot pulled out of the back a little (a duster or similar stuffed in around the control cavity to avoid solder/flux spits hitting the finish is also a good idea)!
    Cheers
    Pete

Smile Re: Just got my Mandobird pick-up from Almuse

Thanks, Pete! I made my order today.

I got my Almuse pickups installed and I think that I will make them stock on my instruments. I have to talk Pete into a shielded four wire so I can continue to offer the same switching options.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    I got my Almuse pickups installed and I think that I will make them stock on my instruments. I have to talk Pete into a shielded four wire so I can continue to offer the same switching options.
    Andrew
    Four wires are now standard - just hope that damn silly volcano starts to behave itself. Not only causing delivery problems but I was hoping for a short jaunt to Italy in a couple of weeks time :-(
    (Not So) Cheery Bye!

Blog Entries

Take a boat?

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    Take a boat?

Daniel
    Hmmmmm. ......cross the Channel, right turn at France....putter putter down the Atlantic...another right at the Bay of Biscay....putter putter chug chug (how are we doing? WOW 27 knots.....Lisbon on the left....putter putter....past Gibralter and into the Med!
    Aw Heck! I`m halfway through my holiday .....Captain? .....mind if we do a "U" turn?
    Probably end up staying at home building mandolins :-)

are you not into making your own pickups andrew? then you could do custom hot or mellow response . i love the ones steve ryder made for me

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    are you not into making your own pickups andrew? then you could do custom hot or mellow response . i love the ones steve ryder made for me
    I was going to until Pete came out with his. I still haven't ruled it out but there are other things I'd like to spend my time and money on, and there isn't much money to be made in making parts for emandos. I'll leave that to Tom and Pete. Besides, I've gone over to the dark side and started building acoustic instruments.

My Almuse pickup arrived late last week. (It came to California really quickly after you mailed it, Pete!) I took the 'bird apart this weekend to install the new pickup. As I was attempting to install the MB8, I found that the holes on the MB8 are about 1/4 inch closer together than on the stock Mandobird VIII pickup. What did those of you with the replacement do when you installed the MB8? Fill the old holes and redrill? Reuse one hole? It appears that the "E"-side hole lines up pretty well, but I want to be sure the pole pieces are under the strings. My Mandobird waits patiently on the bench while I await your experiences and advice. Thanks!

cheers,

David

I`ve noticed a bit of a variation between "P Bass" pickup covers and some do seem narrower than others.
    On the MB4 pickups under development, thanks to the depth of the routing, the size of the cover holes and the thickness of the foam "spring", I simply put the screws into the existing holes - the wood was soft enough to allow the slight splay and the screw heads look ok once installed.
    As long as the pickup is screwed in a little at a time, it should go down evenly.
    As for pole piece location, is the neck in line? - My MB4 was way out of kilter and needed aligning.
    Cheers
    Pete

Hmm. Well, that's a bit different from "holes are the same." I'm not sure I can use the existing screws/holes and put them in a little crooked like you seem to be suggesting. I may have to fill the holes with wood and epoxy and redrill. Since the difference between the old and new pickup covers is approximately the diameter of one screw, this may be a tricky business. I'm still hoping someone else has found an easy solution. Otherwise, this has become a bigger job. Please chime in, folks.
    FWIW, the MB8 seems substantially narrower than the original pickup. It certainly requires no additional routing, but the hole alignment is problematic. The neck on my Mandobird is dead on. Unusually good fit and finish on my particular Mandobird. I was very lucky.

cheers,

David

Assuming that the pickup, when installed, will hide the old holes this is really a pretty easy fix. Get some wooden toothpicks or match sticks and tamp them down into the existing holes fairly tight, then cut them off flush with the top. Drill the new holes, and attach the pickup. Even if the new holes overlap the old ones slightly the screws should hold if you've packed the toothpicks or matchsticks in pretty tight. Note that the body wood is probably considerably harder than the filler wood, so you will want to use a drill press or drill guide to keep the bit from wandering into the old soft filler if the holes overlap.

Also, I highly advise a forstner bit any time you are drilling into a finished wood surface, you should see less tendency for the finish to split and lift. (Covering the area to be drilled with masking or painter's tape can help, too.)