Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got my Mandobird pick-up from Almuse

Default Re: Just got my Mandobird pick-up from Almuse

Hmmm, mine fit the old holes exactly.

Anyone have a sound clip to compare the MB8HS-L and MB8H-L?
    I can't decide based on the description at the site and wondered how different they are.
    Cheers

I finished installation of my Almuse MB-8 pickup yesterday. Here is my first impression:

Holy Cow!!!

This pickup is just what the Mandobird VIII needs. The sound is quite clear and sharp, and relatively even across the strings. It also has a LOT of output relative to the pickup that came with the Mandobird VIII. The sound reminds me a lot of a Gibson SG guitar (sharp, clear highs). You can play very LOUD without distortion. This would probably be great for someone playing in an electric band and competing with other electric instruments in the mix. If you add distortion at the amp, the instrument screams. I'm already delighted with the range of sounds. The pickup plays well with the volume and tone controls, and really makes the Mandobird a serious instrument.

I had a surprise or two with the installation (which I'll discuss in the other thread), but it was more associated with my expectation than any shortcoming of the pickup. I had to fill and redrill holes (easy), and the rest of the installation was a snap. I have a small amount of hum, but I suspect it was my bench lamp. I'll write again if it persists.

My bottom line is that this pickup is a terrific value, and it makes the Mandobird VIII the instrument it should be.

cheers,

David
    Think globally, bike locally.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

David, I`m really glad it worked out in the end.
    Do you mind if I quote you?
    Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    Holy Cow!!!

This pickup is just what the Mandobird VIII needs. The sound is quite clear and sharp, and relatively even across the strings. It also has a LOT of output relative to the pickup that came with the Mandobird VIII. The sound reminds me a lot of a Gibson SG guitar (sharp, clear highs). You can play very LOUD without distortion. This would probably be great for someone playing in an electric band and competing with other electric instruments in the mix. If you add distortion at the amp, the instrument screams. I'm already delighted with the range of sounds. The pickup plays well with the volume and tone controls, and really makes the Mandobird a serious instrument.
    Cheers
    Pete

Sure, Pete! That's still my impression, so you can quote me. Nice pickup! Thanks.
    Think globally, bike locally.