Thread: My Garage-Built 8 string Emando

Default My Garage-Built 8 string Emando

Hi Everyone,

I saw all of these cool emandos that people have built and thought I'd share mine. I built it pretty much from scratch, modeled after the specs and dimensions of a traditional F-style (with some obvious changes). Only things I bought pre-made were the hardware (tailpiece, tuners, knobs and electronics). It was a ton of fun to build and its awesome to play. I've included a pic of the "rough-fitted" instrument and a couple of the finished product.

I used a Dimarzio humbucker and wired it for a coil-tapping arrangement. Through my Fender Twin, I can get nice sweet acoustic-ish sounds (single coil), all the way to a smooth distortion (humbucker) with the right pedals. In my band, I've played everything from Monroe to Satriani on it and the audience always loves it.

Thanks for looking!

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	88546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 1a.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	88547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 3.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	88548  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 4.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	88549  

Default Re: My Garage-Built 8 string Emando

You people keep postin scratch built stuff on here, you're gonna force me to do it too....

Really cool lookin' John

Thanks Rodney. I highly recommend building one from scratch if you get the chance. I had NO experience beforehand, so it can't be that hard!! And I must admit, it was a real thrill to start with a few boards and turn them into a mandolin. I can only imagine what it's like for acoustic builders!!!

When I built it, I really wanted something that was as close to a traditional mandolin as possible, but electric. I looked for a kit, but couldn't find one like I wanted. So, I just started out (blindly!!) and used my electric guitars as a guide. Every step of the process was a challenge (having to learn everything as I went along), and when I finally had it together, I held my breath as I strung it up half expecting it to break! But it held, and it plays better than I had hoped for. Something for my kids to have someday.

John

Nice one, you've done well and ended up with a classy looking electric.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

looks good bro

Blog Entries

Very, very sharp John!
    Congratulations! Well done.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Looks great John! I've been contemplating doing the same thing. That's just a Dimarzio guitar pickup?

Thanks everyone- I really appreciate the compliments and support! The pickup is a Dimarzio Tone Zone S guitar pickup (stacked humbucker DP189). When I was building the mando, I emailed the guys at Weber to see what pickup they used in their Maverick solid body electric mandolin. The Tone Zone is what they recommended, so I went with it. I have it wired for three-way use- single coil and two humbucker positions. It has a great sound- very clean and strat-like in the single coil position, but thicker in the two humbucker positions if you want more bite. I personally think its a perfect fit for an electric mandolin (and since it has the continuous rail magnets, you don't have to worry about string spacing) and I'd highly recommend it. Of course, the pickup was the most expensive part of the mandolin (about $65), but well worth it.

John

9. The following members say thank you to jman72 for this post:

Schweet lookin' axe.