Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles on mandolin

Default The Beatles on mandolin

I was shopping with the wife yesterday, and heard something on an in-store music system that caught my ear. I don't remember what caught my ear first, the mandolin or the song, but it was an acoustic version of "I'll Follow the Sun", driven by mandolin and guitar. Then I recognized Glen Phillips' vocals, but since I'd never heard this version before I was sure it was not on a MAS or WPA recording, or even Toad.

This morning I finally found it, oddly, on an all-Beatles-cover soundtrack for Eddie Murphy's most recent movie, Imagine That. While there are a couple other interesting covers on that ST, I thought I would link the MP3 version here since Phillips' cover is actually quite good, with some nice mandolin work on it as well. (I couldn't locate anywhere on-line who plays mandolin on it, but I am assuming Thile or JPJ?)
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Jan-18-2010 at 1:42pm.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

2. The following members say thank you to Jim MacDaniel for this post:

Default Re: The Beatles on mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim MacDaniel View Post
    ... since Phillips' cover is actually quite good, with some nice mandolin work on it as well. (I couldn't locate anywhere on-line who plays mandolin on it, but I am assuming Thile or JPJ?)
    It's possible (but unlikely) that it is Glen himself, since he played a little bit of mandolin with Toad the Wet Sprocket. But being an active follower of Thile and JPJ and having heard zip about either one being involved, I doubt it's one of them.

Just heard back from Glen -- it was either Mikal Blue or Andrew Williams (he doesn't recall which one worked on this track with him).
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

How ´bout "Beatle Country" by the Charles River Valley Boys with an intimidating Joe Val on the mando?
    Olaf

Here are the only credits I could find. I'm guessing a number of those guitarists also play mando, but no specific credit is listed.

Album Credits
    Performance Credits

Alex Acuña Percussion
    Paul Bushnell Bass
    George Doering Acoustic Guitar
    Victor Indrizzo Drums
    Charles Judge Keyboards
    Wayne Kirkpatrick Acoustic Guitar
    Chris McHugh Drums
    Jerry McPherson Electric Guitar
    Jimmie Lee Sloas Bass
    Andrew Williams Acoustic Guitar, Guitar, Piano, Guitar (Nylon String), Guitar (Baritone)
    Keith Chagall Background Vocals
    Greg Suran Electric Guitar
    Brian Carr Synthesizer
    Karey Kirkpatrick Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Electric Guitar, Background Vocals
    Alex Acuñ Percussion
    Mikal Blue Bass, Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar
    Eric Boulanger Violin
    Sarah Burgess Choir, Chorus
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Not to hijack here, but Steve Earle does a nice job covering "I'm Looking Through You." I'm not sure which CD its on, but I like it a lot.

We (The Lost Hitch Hikers) do covers of Norwegian Wood, Hide Your Love Away, Dear Prudence, and an instrumental version of Lucy in the Sky.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Hey Steve, I forgot about Steve Earle's cover -- your post is right on-topic since they are all Beatles songs featuring mandolin
    ~ Mark Twain

I love the version of Strawberry fields that Hayseed Dixie do... pretty sure there's some cotton eye joe thrown into it somewhere near the end.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I believe "I'm Looking Through You" is on Earle's Train A Comin' cd. I remember seeing Steve do a solo show right after George Harrison passed away and he opened w/ an amazing "If I Needed Someone".

A good one was 'I'm Down', by the NGR on their last band recording, maybe 1989, 90 or so.

Progressive & Eclectic! Steve Sikes-Nova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    How ´bout "Beatle Country" by the Charles River Valley Boys with an intimidating Joe Val on the mando?
    I like this cd a lot. I was turned on to it during an interview that I did with New Grass Revival's Curtis "Dr. Dobro" Burch in 2005 for my internet radio station.
    'Newgrass, Prog & More!' Web Radio
    Over 2,200 Progressive & Eclectic Listeners WorldWide since 2003!
    http://live365.com/stations/virginiaprograsser
    'Tuxedo Cat Sings!' original mando-driven alternative folk-rock
    http://tuxedocatsings.bandcamp.com

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Perhaps the most interesting Beatles interpretation on frets is Brian Hebert and Friends, all-instrumental "Any Time At All - A Session Picker's Tribute to The Beatles," including none other than our own Prof. John McGann.

Amazing, creative stuff! Highly recommended.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

The Beatles song that sounds best and natural on the mandolin is "Girl" off Rubber Soul. It has a gypsy feel to it, and the two guitars at the end actually sound like mandolins. Try it sometime!

When my Beatles tribute band Apple Core played Abbey Road on the River in Louisville, Kentucky we played with a dynamite Bluegrass band from Oregon that did Beatles. They were called the Bad Dates and did a killer version of "Norwegian Wood". Here's a picture of me with the banjo player ... kind of looks like one of Kentucky's favorite sons ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abbey Road on the River-110.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	50233  

I am thoroughly hooked on the Beatlegras arrangements. I guess they don't play outside their home state much, -- but if they ever do, I'd love to hear them live.
    Last edited by Sheryl McDonald; Feb-14-2010 at 2:39pm. Reason: grammar
    Sheryl --- Me

Anyone know where melody tabs for the beatles can be found?

A new version of beatle country is out on the 28th February, very cheap at Play.com (I don't work for them or have any interest in their business!).

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

The first time I heard a bluegrass version of a Beatles song was by a band that played at my college in Wisconsin back in 1973-1974 - a snappy version of "From Me To You." Wish I could remember their name (does "Monroe Doctrine" jog anyone's memory?) because they helped show me bluegrass could be hip. Contrary to Mick's opinion (but hey, if it works for you, great!), the Beatles song that's always sounded most like bluegrass to me is "I've Just Seen A Face" also from Rubber Soul. Lord knows I've done it that way many times, as have many others.

As I recall, Alison Krauss sang a wonderful version of "I Will." Don't recall if there was mandolin on it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Perhaps the most interesting Beatles interpretation on frets is Brian Hebert and Friends, all-instrumental "Any Time At All - A Session Picker's Tribute to The Beatles," including none other than our own Prof. John McGann.

Amazing, creative stuff! Highly recommended.
    That sounds like an amazing set! Have to get that one!
    John

Interesting hearing all the love for Rubber Soul. My favorite Beatles albums are Revolver and Rubber Soul. I know the critics loved Sgt Peppers, Abby Road and The White Album but there was still an innocence to those records along with a burgeoning maturity that make those two records pretty special IMO. For playing Beatles tunes I like to play I gotta go Come Together and Blackbird, weird but they both translate well. I could listen to any Beatles tune on mando and be happy though, great writing.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

I've been playing Blackbird on guitar for so many years. Funny, that I've never tried to play it on mandolin.

You Know My Name (Look Up My Number) is a total gas.

The version of And Your Bird Can Sing on the 2nd volume of the Anthology (the one where they giggle through the vocal overdub) translates very well to mandolin. Plus, I like that arrangement better than the one that was released on Revolver.

One day I'm going to remember to try to pick out Because, just to see if that lays comfortably on the mando. Love those changes. I heard John was playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and decided to play it backwards, and that's how he got that progression.

I was a preschooler with 3 older sisters in 1964 when these guys appeared on Ed Sullivan, and have loved their music ever since. I STILL hear things that surprise me when listening to some of their stuff. McCartney's bass playing and Ringo's drumming are both totally out of the box, yet invariably support the melody with beauty and grace.
    Clark Beavans

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

The Beatles get mentioned a good bit hereabouts. Their influence is far-reaching and complex. By all accounts they never used mandolin in the band, and just a bit in their solo careers - Paul on "Dance Tonight", George on "Gone Troppo." Today would have been George's 67th birthday, and far from bemoan his passing, I thought I'd share with you a bit of fun someone shared with me. No MC whatsoever ...

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The version of And Your Bird Can Sing on the 2nd volume of the Anthology (the one where they giggle through the vocal overdub) translates very well to mandolin. Plus, I like that arrangement better than the one that was released on Revolver
    I agree wholeheartedly...I wish they cut this song in the anthoolgy key (D?) it's sounds much more energetic and happier then in the Revolver key (E?).... to my ears anyway!

Happy birthday George, cheers.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

tree,

David Grisman did a live recording of Because which is quite nice.

On the subject of under-appreciated or underrated Beatles albums, I think A Hard Day's Night gets overlooked, probably because it came so early. All the songs are good and about half of them, IMO, are just killers.