Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid 70's Gibson F-5's, were they really that bad?

Default Re: Mid 70's Gibson F-5's, were they really that bad?

Someone named Antoinette in L.A. had a mid-70s F5 for sale a couple of weeks ago. I thought perhaps it was the one you were watching. I have no financial interest. PM me and I'll give you her contact info.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I bought a 1970 (or early 70's) F5 in 1980 for 1500.00. (like new condition). I remember back in 1970 seeing them priced for $1500 new. Used it 10 years and then sold it for $1500. Looked beautiful but wasn't too excited about the sound of it. I should have added maybe another 500 or so and got a Monty Grand Artist back in 1980. Right?
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

My first F5L (and first Gibson mandolin) was bought in the first half of the 90's and it was about 2500 new. They are bringing a bit more than that now. Of course, I sold it soon after buying it to buy my first Gilchrist from Butch Baldassari and it cost me 3500.00 and I thought that was an insane price for a mandolin. Who could have guessed they would rise so far so quickly in price. I would love to have either of them back now.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Was that Antoinette in L.A.?
    Yes it was Antionette. Thanks..Don
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    I bought a 1970 (or early 70's) F5 in 1980 for 1500.00. (like new condition). I remember back in 1970 seeing them priced for $1500 new. Used it 10 years and then sold it for $1500. Looked beautiful but wasn't too excited about the sound of it. I should have added maybe another 500 or so and got a Monty Grand Artist back in 1980. Right?
    I owned 2 F5's in the 1976-78 timeframe. One was an early 1970s I bought used from Gruhn and the other was a brand new 1976 model that I traded for locally. The list price on a factory F-5 was right around $1650 in 1977 (my best recollection) and I don't remember seeing any new F5's discounted on the open market, since they were "custom" instruments even then.

These 1970s F5's had as bad a reputation back then as they seem to now, but after all these years and all the used instruments I've owned, I am inclined toward the opinion that they are criticized excessively, even as current production Gibsons are probably praised excessively (my own view, of course). In general, I just don't see THAT MUCH difference between these vintages, although I will concede that current production Gibsons may be more consistently fine from one to the other. However, those 1970s F5's were very nicely made and nice sounding as well. The real problem, and I suspect it may be a widely shared, but not so widely admitted deficiency, is that I didn't have anywhere near the playing skill to take advantage of the true potential of those instruments (still don't, as a matter of fact!). My $0.02.

There is a world of difference from the 70's Gibson F models and the current production mandolins. Different woods, neck joints, inlay, graduations, body dimensions, etc. It is as if they came from two different planets. That does not mean they are not both decent but they are not really apples for apples. More like persimmons for anchovies. The ones made in the 70's were what they were, but certainly nothing to compare in quality, tone, or playability with the current Gibson mandolins. The 70's were decent mandolins for that time, but thankfully the company learned as time has gone by and has been able to improve the product substantially.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I have a question for Big Joe:
    I noticed you have a A12 "lump scroll" on your site, how does it sound compared to a modern Gibson A or F?
    I have a friend that has one that needs so much work, it's relegated to the "wall hanger" department in his repair shop. I checked it out and I could almost hear it say "a little more wood and I coulda been a 335"...:http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/im...s/laughing.gif

This has been a very interesting thread for me!

John Hudak
    If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world.”

-C. S. Lewis

The Gibson A12 is an interesting instrument. It certainly sounds like a mandolin, and this one plays like a dream. It does not sound like a high end F model of today. There is little similarity to this mandolin and the bluegrass monsters everyone talks about.

The tone is certainly mandolin. It actually sounds pretty good. It is not as loud as most current F5's or even A5's. Remember this mandolin was made (1968) when many people were on LSD . While that is a joke, it is true that there was a lot of attempted innovation in the world and this mandolin as much as any product probably represents that era in our history.

If I were to compare it to the mandolins of today I would probably say it is more like the pac rim mandolins that are more common today. Not bad tone, just not as full or rich as a good mandolin of this day. As to playability, it is as good as any. I would prefer this to most of the pac rim instruments I've heard with the exceptions being the better Eastmans, better Kentucky, or the Loar LM600 and LM700. It is certainly better than any Michael Kelly I've played or most Kentucky or Alvarez or Aria or ......

Like many good instruments made, they have a tone of their own. It is actually pleasant to sit and play for your own enjoyment. I'm just not sure it would cut through in a bluegrass environment. I like taking it home to play while my wife watches TV. She prefers that to the banjo . I have this one priced pretty good. There is one at the Gibson Showcase for more than twice what I'm asking and the ones I've found on the internet are substantially higher than mine. I considered it before pricing it. I think it is a good mandolin, a good piece of Gibson (and mandolin) history, but as a playing instrument I feel that is where it should be priced. I cannot speak for anyone else, but it will make someone a good mandolin and very enjoyable if they know what to expect.

I don't know if I answered your question all that well, but I tried. Again, they are a really interesting part of history... both of the mandolin itself and Gibson as a company. Maybe in another 50 years everyone will be trying to replicate these... .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Funny how the opinions (and prices) of instruments made by Gibson and Fender during the 1970s go up as the prices of the the older instruments go beyond what mere mortals can pay.

I am guessing the F-5 along with the J-200 and Super 400 did not suffer as much under the leadership of Arnie Berlin (the "in" in Norlin - who took over CMI in 1965) as did Gibson's lower priced acoustic offerings. The high dollar instruments were made in the Custom Shop established on the third floor of the old Daylight Plant around 1960. These instruments were not churned out on the high speed conveyor belt finishing systems with necks produced on the automatic neck machines Gibson started using in 1965.

Still, all of Gibsons instruments were re-designed in 1969-1970, being made alot sturdier with bulkier bracing. Great if you want to avoid warranty issues not so great if you want top end flutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Clark View Post
    Carl you got lucky or your a heck of a saleperson!! Kidding
    i sold a 76 F-5 last year on Ebay for just over 2K it was the best from that era i heard but still not like the 20,s or 2000's
    p.s. Carl keep that Master Model list going ,50 years from now we want be wandering how many were built and how many are still in closets!!!

Danny
    ...would say IMO, that anything over 2 grand for a 70s F-5 is quite exorbitant !

If you can find a decent condition 1976 F5 for around $1000 it's worth it because it sounds crapy, it makes a great wall hanger. heck I've paid over a $1000 for a Thomas Kincade Painter of Lights art print. Hang that '76 on the will with one of those high efficient spot lights on it and it will wow your friends when they ask and you say "it's the same mandolin Bill Monroe created bluegrass music on"

12. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Br1ck