Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rover RM-75 serial number

Default Rover RM-75 serial number

I just bought a used Rover RM-75 which I am thrilled with! Does anybody know where I can find serial number info? Mine is a dark cherry color which makes me think it's older?

Thanks for any info.

Ron
    ****Ron Bird****

Default Re: Rover RM-75 serial number

It is written on a sticker inside the bass F hole.
    Rob Tebworth

www.tebworthbrothers.com

Gibson MM
    #73 BRW Varnish F

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    It is written on a sticker inside the bass F hole.
    Thanks Rob,
    I have the serial number. I just don't know what it means. Does it date the mandolin in any way?
    ****Ron Bird****

I think the first two numbers are the year, like 04 is 2004. The first RM 75s were that dark red color, now they have a more regular color. How do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by devilsbox View Post
    I think the first two numbers are the year, like 04 is 2004. The first RM 75s were that dark red color, now they have a more regular color. How do you like it?
    You may have something there. I have two sunbursts which I bought new in 2009, and the serial numbers both start with "09". I also have one like rbird describes and it is older, but like rbird, I can't seem to find out much about it either. I am third owner on the chocolate/cherry finished one. The guy I bought it from had it for a while, and said the guy he bought it from had it for a couple years. The serial number on that one is "1106153". I talked to someone at The Mandolin Store and ask about it, and he didn't have a clue about serial numbers on Rovers. I also saw a thread somewhere here about Saga not keeping serial number records of their instruments, which I thought to be a little strange, but I haven't actually asked them myself.
    rbird, what is the serial number of your instrument? Maybe if we can find a few guys who know how old their RM-75's are, we could compare serial numbers and narrow it down to a few years.

Ronnie

Actually Saga doesn't have information on some older Kentucky's, that doesn't mean they don't have it on their newer instruments. I'd check with them.

Mine is a older dark one and it starts with 11 too
    Last edited by TNT; Jan-07-2010 at 11:39pm.
    Rob Tebworth

www.tebworthbrothers.com

Gibson MM
    #73 BRW Varnish F

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Mine is a older dar one and it starts with 11 too
    TNT, do you know the year yours was made? What are the next 2 numbers? I kinda thought mine may have been made in Nov. 2006 "1106...". The press release from Saga is dated June, 2004, so they don't go back too far.

Mike, thanks for the comment. Maybe I'll call Saga, and see if there is someone who may be able to shed some light.

Ronnie

1106562 that could be. Looks like ours are about 500 apart.
    Rob Tebworth

www.tebworthbrothers.com

Gibson MM
    #73 BRW Varnish F

I was able to get a shot of the number. Mine has a "Y" on the end...
    04010314Y

314th "Y" model made January o4 ???

Who knows...
    ****Ron Bird****

Quote Originally Posted by devilsbox View Post
    How do you like it?
    Love it. Plays nice softly, but do a chop and you'll definately be heard over everyone else. The slogan fits - It barks and it bites!

I like the fretboard lot. Nice and slim. Action is nice but I think it might need some setup as it wants a little more pressure than I'm used to.

It also seems very forgiving on finger placement. No buzz I can hear anywhere.

Mine has a wood bridge that I don't think came with it.

Overall it's a 10 and a keeper.
    ****Ron Bird****

My rover also requires a bit of finger pressure I think it my just be the way they are.

MICKEY

I have a rover RM-75 to.
    the ser# is1106319 it was purchased in 2007 at the telluride music store
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends

Here is my Rover RM-75 serial number. What has been found out about these numbers & what does it mean? This one has many 8's, and also a y at the end.

I fit my Rover with a Randy Wood bridge which I got used from the classifieds here. I followed the instructions on Frank Ford's website - and fit the bridge.

This Rover sounds fantastic and very woody chop. Got it from an e-bay Saga blow out seller of 2nd instruments. Had a crack on top, looks stable and took some off final price so not too bad a deal.

I owned another more expensive mandolin which will remain nameless, because I do not want to upset anyone. While it was better constructed etc...this one plays and sounds just as well - am i am not a beginner, I know what a good mando sounds like. Then again, to each their own, but this ain't just for beginners.

> ..Maybe if we can find a few guys who know how old their RM-75's are,
    > we could compare serial numbers and narrow it down to a few years.
    I realize it's been a few years but some may still or will later be interested.
    I concur with those of you that suggest the serial number uses a date scheme (year, month, dates). When the RM-75 first came out, I read the reviews, saw the information about it actually being a high end Kentucky in disguise, when I decided to buy one I did what I often tended to do when purchasing something I liked (like records, etc.) I bought a second as well: a”spare”, an “extra” just in case… (#2 still sits in the closet, boxed up & brand new)

Mine are both 04 01 xx xxY. (I frequently see advice against posting item's actual serial numbers online.)
    The first six digits are identical: 04 01 and a 2 digit number less than 31 which I take to mean they were both manufactured on the same day of January 2004.

Those 6 digits are followed by a two digit number and the letter Y
    The two digit number I assume is the number produced that day. My two are three numbers apart.
    I have no guess about that last letter. In general, one sometimes sees a meaningful suffix such as SB for Sunburst, E or EM for “electric” or “electric mandolin”, etc. I can't think of a logical reason for the “Y”?
    Do KentuckY mandolins end in “Y”?
    Does anyone have one ending in a letter other than “Y”?
    Ideas for the meaning of “Y”?

rbird
    314th "Y" model made January 04 ?
    I’d decode your 04010314Y as fourteenth model made January 03 2004
    Y? I don’t know. Y not.

Mickey.cole
    These are handwritten. Could that is1106319 actually be is110631y?
    …or perhaps these later models dropped the letter suffix with yours the 9th made June 31 2011

Might anyone know what is the earliest production date seen for these?
    Last edited by ActionClaw; Aug-16-2017 at 4:05pm. Reason: to Subscribe to thread

I have a Rover-75 I bought off Craig"s list a while back. Ser.# 04010770Y. I love it. Holds up well at jams. I read somewhere (maybe here) that the dark stain was because the wood, although there was nothing wrong with it, wasn't pretty. I paid $200 for it. A real bargain.

I have a red and a sunburst. They are highly under-valued.

I believe I still have the detailed write up somewhere on another older computer: I'll try to dig it up when I get a chance. As I recall, the RM75 was originally intended to be a Lloyd Loar style released as a high end Kentucky (700 series) but quality control thought the flame in the flame maple wasn’t up to their standard. So, they more or less hid it with dark stain and nitrocellulose finish and sold them as a “limited run” under the Rover name as an RM–75s. This only applied to the “first batch” but I don't know what determines what the “first batch” is: all that had this finish, only a certain range of serial numbers or specific time period.

The RM–75 seems to’ve become popular enough to cause them to extend the “limited run” for several years but as a significantly different Sunburst finish model.

I don't know whether the model the RM–75 was originally supposed to be was ever realized.

Does anyone know when the earliest “first run” RM–75 came out or for how long those with the original finish were produced? So far, the lowest/earliest serial number I've seen was 04010131 (January 1, 2004) right here in MandolinCafe forums.

I have a red and a sunburst. They are highly under-valued.
    True. I don't know whether I should sell one of mine or try to buy another!

PiginaPen,
    Serial number...
    ...lower than 040101...
    ...end with a letter other than Y?

Quote Originally Posted by mandopaul View Post
    Here is my Rover RM-75 serial number. What has been found out about these numbers & what does it mean? This one has many 8's, and also a y at the end.
    Looks like a 4 at the end to my eye.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Looks like a y to me but a bit ambiguous, I suppose. On its own, I could see how it might be interpreted as either a small letter Y or numeral 4 (People have told me they confuse my O’s with Zeros!) but put into context, with all other reports I’ve seen so far of RM-75 serial numbers ending with a letter Y influences me into thinking this is probably also a letter Y.

What gets my attention are all those 8s and zeros. Is this some sort of code or just a weird coincidence? I'm not too clear on that sixth digit (0 or 1?) but if it were also an eight, for example, to see that there were 8 or 80 of these produced August 08 2008. would be totally unremarkable …until you see the 08080880y or 08080808y serial number.

Of course, if that sixth digit is a zero, with no August 0th, it kind of throws a wrench in the works.

A lot of times the serial numbers have obvious dates... The most common being what we see here... month/year, or year/month. It looks like we actually have both examples. This wouldn't be strange as I believe there have been at least 4 versions of the RM-75 made.

Although I have sold a lot of these over the years, I never really paid much attention to the serial numbers. I can say that it is common to see strange/random serial numbers that make no sense, or serials that do make sense, but shouldn't actually exist at that point in time. Like something that is "04180999"... obviously not made in 2018 and assumedly not 18/2004 either.

Looking for a year in the serial is a good starting point. Especially if it is say 4-6 months before a verified new purchase (dealers rarely get PacRim instruments any sooner than 4-6 months after the date of manufacture).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I fail to see the significance or distinction that separates a 2004 from a 2008 instrument, IMHO. It all falls into a category of "things made in the, last 30 years" to my way of thinking. Now, if you are talking a distinction between a 1917 and a 1924, yes, that could be worthy of study, IMHO. Unless, of course, you are a person who likes to know the year.......but again, I think the decade would be more than sufficient....

…serial numbers have obvious dates... The most common being what we see here... month/year, or year/month.
    year/month it seems, at least at first. I don't know exactly when these were first produced but, from all I've seen, thus far, mine and some of those reported here on Mandolin Café seem to be (, at least, among) the first. On these the numbering scheme seems fairly clear cut:

Digits 1 & 2: last two digits of production year. 04 = 2004
    Digits 3 & 4: month of the year, 01-12
    Digits 5 & 6: date of the month, 01-31
    Digits 7 & 8: Number produced that day
    Digits 9: a letter (always? Frequently?) small y

This wouldn't be strange as I believe there have been at least 4 versions of the RM-75 made.
    That would clear up confusion about what someone posted here
    “Mine is a older dark one and it starts with 11 too”
    2011 is not older and I didn’t know these were being made as late as 2011.

I for one, would like to hear you expand on this: “at least 4 versions of the RM-75 made”
    I was only aware of that first legendary, dark reddish stained, Kentucky “limited run” followed by the others, I thought were all Sunburst finish.
    What were the four --or other two-- versions?

I know this is off the topic but, a few years ago, I had an rm-75 come in for a refret. It was a killer mandolin! I think the picker said he paid around $350 for it. It was a lot of mandolin for the money!