Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whiskey Before Breakfast

"Jerry Garcia tries to go Jamaican but falls short"?

Planteco, DUUUUUDE! REALLY nice arrangement!! Man, I wish I could take off on a tune like that! Excellent, just excellent.

Where do you go to listen to these tunes. I'm sorry but I can't figure it out. Thanks!

http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/

MikeB ... love that kalimba! (and your playing too, of course)

Fiddlegit ... there's thread around about 'if there was no mandolin'. I would hope I could play fiddle as well as you. Great job.

Ken ... Wow. Cool feel, great tone, great timing. You've got it all going on!

planetecology ... your eclctic versions beg the questions RE: your handle ... What Planet!?!

I sat out because I really hope someday to record a guitar/mandloin duet, but my parts just aren't 'there yet'.

I'm defiantely in for Bill Cheatum this month. I've already got my metronome notched up to a whopping 76bmp! Ooooooh!

- Benig

Quote Originally Posted by
    I'm defiantely in for Bill Cheatum this month. I've already got my metronome notched up to a whopping 76bmp! Ooooooh!
    Benig, you have no idea what encouragement comments like this give me. #I, for one, think you are a top notch musician (I'm not alone around here, either). #If you work up your tunes from tempos like that, well it just gives me hope, is all. #

Speed is just one of my many serious limitations. #I just *cannot* seem to get anything playable above a certain tempo. #I've hit a ceiling or something. #I'd feel better about it if I played as silky smooth as you do....

Hey Mike!

Truth be told ... @ 76bmp the metronome is clicking away on the 2's and 4's, so the 'real' tempo is more like 150bmp. Still quite pedestrian. And "Yes", I play most of my stuff around those tempos, until it comes easy and natural.

Even though I've got a decent recording posted for it, I still work on The Fisher's Hornpipe at 76bmp as well, as I'm nowhere near solid with that beast.

You've got 'no issues', Mike ... at least none that are any different than the rest of us!

Benig... Your too kind, I've listened to your previous work and I'm sure if you decide to try fiddle it wouldn't be long before you could play better than I!
    Roger - fiddlegit

I hope that means you liked it. Since I know I'm not going to play cleanly at 210 bpm and do any improvising, I rearrange the tunes to work at slower tempos. (But something about the Whiskey melody makes it a natural for that rhythm, no?)
    Oh, and no planets, only plants - I'm a botanist.

D.H. (plantecology04)

Ahhh ... plantecology! That explains it! Then I will respectfully rephrase my praise, and ask, "What plant were you on!" Great stuff!

Hey y'all...
    Been (inconspicuously) absent for awhile, lotta work and other excuses not to pick...

reposted my version of E tennesee a week or so ago, and just now flopped my version of Whisky on the project site. This is the first recording that I have done that is actually two takes...sorta. I did the AA BB AA BB in one, mistakes and retards and all, then I put a real quiet track behind it for the AA BB AA, first of a chop progression, then a harmony in 3rds for the second AA.

See, THIS is what really happens when whisky is breakfast...

I think you do great, Smolt. If you can play at that speed you shouldn't complain! (or maybe folks play fast to cover mistakes?? Anyway, it sounds good, you should be really proud of yourself!

I finally uploaded my version, much more amateur-like, but the only one I could come down with without too many mistakes. I tried to use a back-up track but just messed it up so I did it without any metronome or clicks or such, so I probably speed up. And now I find myself looking down on my stuff again......bad, bad bluegrasstjej...
    Really, I'm quite satisfied with it. Just wish I could play faster and smoother.

Susanne, I'ts nice to hear your playing again. (it seems ages since your last one)You should not look down on your stuff, it's good music. If it does speed up it's only slightly and there's nothing wrong with that, the pro's do it all the time!
    Roger - fiddlegit

Hi Roger, thanks for your encouragement. it means a lot to me. You know what? I'm improving greatly on the fiddle, and may even be able to record old project tunes on the fiddle soon. it would be fun anyway!!!

I just love the fiddle! Nearly can't lay it down to play the mandolin...just that I need mandolin practice, since I'm bringing it to Ireland next month, I'm not yet good enough to play fiddle for people (apart from my boyfriend, who actually is the one who taught me).

Blog Entries

Little late, but I uploaded a barebones version for general criticism...but to Yahoo groups--didn't see we can bypass that page now. Its also posted on in the photos of my Ratcliff mando here on the Cafe.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Neat!!!!!!!! I love it when folks add tunes when we don't expect it and it sounds great too. Wow, I get some new inspiration to do recordings. I've been to lazy on that lately.

jsanderso,

nice clean rendition! your mando has an interesting tone. what you picking?

thanks for sharing and keep up the good work

cheers,

craig

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (craig @ Dec. 09 2004, 11:09)
    jsanderso,

nice clean rendition! #your mando has an interesting tone. #what you picking?

thanks for sharing and keep up the good work

cheers,

craig
    Its Laura Ratcliff #6, with J74s that probably need a changing. That tune was recorded with a Wegen M150, which I think skews the tone to the top end. I have a comparison between the Wegen and the Ultex 1.14 in the thread in the # "post a picture of your mando" forum. I do love the tone of this mando; its more than I deserve with my modest ability.

Thanks for the kind words. I think I let the timing drag in a couple of places--although I think I cover it so that overall the timing is decent. Obviously I am concerned about this since I recorded with out a 'nome or flashing timer.

Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence