Thread: Chop cords

A DEAD HEAD

Default Chop cords

When say playing in key of g----gcd----do you change chop cords when they change standard cords,with the timing it would be hard with quick cord changes?
    Some people know a little about
    about a lot of things,i would rather
    know a lot about the little things
    BORN AGAIN CUB FAN

Default Re: Chop cords

You seem to believe that a chop chord is different from a "standard" chord. It isn't. The only reason it's called a chop chord is because it works very well with the technique of chopping. You change chop chords when the song or tune's chord changes. If the change is so quick there's no chop on it, then you skip it. The chop's rhythm doesn't really change. In other words, if it isn't the right beat to chop on, you don't chop just because the song's chord changed.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

A DEAD HEAD

Thanks jim
    Some people know a little about
    about a lot of things,i would rather
    know a lot about the little things
    BORN AGAIN CUB FAN

Another comment. Don't clutter up your chop. Keep it simple and solid. The mandoloin is functioning as a snare drum.

In other words, the chords will usually change on a strong beat (1 or 3 in 4/4 time) while the mandolin is chopping on the weak beats (2 or 4 in 4/4 time). You'll hear the guitar (for instance) change chords on the 1 beat and you change to that chord with your chop on the 2 beat. It's cool playing on the weak beats because you get a preview of what the next chord is supposed to be and have time (mostly) to change to that chord. Hope this helps.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hicks View Post
    Another comment. Don't clutter up your chop. Keep it simple and solid. The mandoloin is functioning as a snare drum.
    Except when you've chopped for what seems like forever, and you're about to lose your mind, it's okay to throw in a little shuffle stroke to help yourself wake up. (But always quickly look at the guy next to you to draw suspicion away from yourself. )

(And always be on the lookout for the chop police.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I personally play a muted stroke on the 1 & 3 beats to make sure my timing stays right, but nobody hears the stroke. The chop sounds on the 2 & 4 beats. So, I don't actually have more time to change chords, but nobody hears me because of the delay. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    I personally play a muted stroke on the 1 & 3 beats to make sure my timing stays right, but nobody hears the stroke. The chop sounds on the 2 & 4 beats. So, I don't actually have more time to change chords, but nobody hears me because of the delay. Make sense?
    Totally. Sam Bush plays eigths in his strum and only fully plays the chord on the beat or off beat that he wants. His rhythm is impeccable.