Thread: Guitarworks Instruments?

Default Guitarworks Instruments?

This question is for folks living in the Richmond, VA, area:

Does anybody know where Guitarworks instruments are made? I was kind of intrigued as to where they come from, seeing as there is one Guitarworks shop (in Careytown) and the volume of instruments they produce seems a bit large for one luthiery.

Are their instruments Pac-Rims that are labeled "Guitarworks," or are they American-made instruments built right at home in Richmond?
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Default Re: Guitarworks Instruments?

Ha, just answered my own question: majority of body work is done in China, and the instruments are finished in Richmond.

I guess this makes them Pac-Rim/East-Coast instruments. That explains the low prices on instruments.

This all being said, has anybody tried a Guitarworks mando?
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"

Any instruments with Big Joe's Guitarworks on the headstock are made in Nashville, Tn. We sell pac rim instruments made by other people, but any of our products are American made right here in Music City, USA. I realize you are talking about a different guitarworks, but just wanted to make sure you know where our stuff is made. We don't make a lot of instruments, but we do make custom hand made instruments of various types but they are all made here. We rarely have any for inventory. They are usually sold well before we get them built.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

According to the Guitar Works website (note: "Guitar Works" as two separate words, not to be confused with "Big Joe's Guitarworks"), the best Guitar Works mandolin is a solid-wood, carved-top F-style for $500 with a case. It strikes me that a mandolin of that description, in that price range, has got to be imported. Whatever "finish work" is supposedly done in the US, is probably pretty minimal -- shop adjustment perhaps.

Gold Tone advertises something similar, but perhaps a bit more accurately described; their instruments are built in Asia, but "inspected and adjusted" in Florida. I've found Gold Tone's quality control to be very good. Doubt that Guitar Works in Richmond has a staff of luthiers taking instruments "in the white" and putting finish on them. But then, I'm a bit of s skeptic in these areas.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Sorry, Joe, I should have looked at my spelling. The shop is Guitar Works, Inc. Didn't mean to confuse them with your company. That's what I get for posting late at night!

I live in the Richmond, VA area and have owned several Guitar Works instruments over the years. They are Pac-Rim made instruments. The owner of the shop pushes them as not having the overhead of a name brand instrument. They are mostly entry level to intermediate level instruments but not bad. I am looking at a used one (their top level F-Style) so I can have a mando in our Florida home. I have missed having a mando over the winter months, so I will definitely get a lower-priced one to bring to FL next year and the Guitar works instrument would be good for that.

You realize this is a 9 year old thread, right?

I used to live in the Richmond area. Guitar Works instruments are, for the most part, unremarkable and unimpressive imports. The one thing I will say in favor of the shop is they do their own set ups, and they know what they are doing in that regard. So if a beginner buys on of their instruments at least they know its set up correctly and they won’t have to fight that battle. Anyone who sticks with it and advances enough will quickly outgrow their Guitar Works instrument, in my opinion.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

8. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I live here in Richmond too. the only thing I have about Guitar Works, inc. is they fixed a center seam seoeration on my 2000 Martin HD28 for 40.00 plus cleaned her up, and restringed, and checked set up. and only took like 4 days to get her back.

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz