Thread: Louie Bluie

Default Louie Bluie

I am trying to locate a copy of the Louie Bluie DVD documentary featuring Howard Armstrong. So far I can seem to locate anyone selling it using google etc. Plenty of copies of the CD of the soundtrack. I would be most grateful for any leads.

Thanks, Neil

Blog Entries

Default Re: Louie Bluie

It's on YouTube. I downloaded the individual parts from there and created a DVD for my own use.

As of an interview with Louie Bluie director (and Cheap Suit Serenader) Terri Zwigoff last March:

Louie Bluie is currently unavailable on DVD, but Zwigoff hopes to have it released within the next year or two.

It's a great movie, and Howard Armstrong was a bigger-than-life musician, artist, and all-around human.

There is another film about Mr. Armstrong called Sweet Old Song--more info about it and a festival dedicated to his memory here.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

The sad thing is that Howard thought that Terry Z had made millions off the film and never gave him his due. He went to his grave resenting Terry and never understood the reality of the situation—which was the reason for the second film—Louie Bluie never came close to breaking even. Fortunately the second didn't attempt to reprise the original, but stands on its own as a fine and different tribute. Howard was a big enough character to merit a number of tributes.

Howard and I lived within a block of one another for six years and never knew it until 20 years later.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net