Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric mandolin: Help!

Default Re: Electric mandolin: Help!

OP= Original Poster...it's just shorter than typing "WhiteEmperor."

For the record, I have a 4 string mandobird I'm very happy with, but I'm very much a beginner and knew what to expect when I ordered it...that is, a functional emando for only a little cash, and not a custom emando collectible. I had none of the issues with low E string volume and my tailpiece was placed correctly, but others have certainly had less positive experiences...I did have to do a little nut filing to get the action where I like it, but did so with torch cleaners I picked up at a hardware store for < $5 USD...

Gold Tone also makes a pretty decent little 4 stringer that's inexpensive, but if you're playing professionally you may want to take Martin's advice and either hold out for a better instrument or go as cheaply as you can (ie, used Mandobird or European equivalent) now but start saving for a significant upgrade in the coming months.
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitemperor View Post
    Sorry, but what's the OP?
    O.P. means Original Poster, the person who starts the thread.

HTH,
    Daniel

I returned my Mandobird because the quiet E-sting made it unplayable. I just got the Eastwood Mandocaster. It's great. There are more expensive eMando's out there, but the Mandocaster is OK. The sound is good, the price is OK. It doesn't hold tuning well, though, and as delivered it was not possible to adjust the bridge to get a true octave on all strings at the 12th fret. Still, it's a lot of fun. Google "Mandocaster" ... there are several vendors.

FWIW, Weak E string response can be solved.. by restringing it CGDA, and adjusting setup to suit.

.049" makes a reasonable C.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

There is an 8 string electric already in Germany (no VAT!) currently listed in the classifieds within your budget. I'm sure that it will do what you want it to do for a rock-n-roll axe.

NFI on my part, just trying to be helpful.

I have both the Eastwood Mandocaster and the Epiphone Mandobird. In all honesty, I'd reccomend both. I switch back and forth as to which one is my favorite about every 6 months or so, and to be perfectly honest, both are great instruments for the price. Relatively well built and comfortable.

OK guys, thank you for yours suggestions. At the end i bought an Ovation mandolin, model MCS148. I'll tell you how it works!

Went with 8 .. Piezoelectric pieces as part of the bridge is quite a different way of generating the signal,
    than the magnetic core and coil of wire, Type.

Happy picking..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I like the Eastwood a lot, but I'm thinking of getting a four or five-string. Didn't like the Mandobird. Any low-cost suggestions? How's the Kentucky emando? I know it's low cost.

I've an Andrew Jerman 5 string, made in USA, it's great, look him up !
    Last edited by bevb; Dec-27-2009 at 6:48am. Reason: wrong pic

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    FWIW, Weak E string response can be solved.. by restringing it CGDA, and adjusting setup to suit.

.049" makes a reasonable C.

So you have to retune it to get it to work properly? I think I'll pass.

Happen to like CGDA tuning , myself ... have a Mandola and 2 4 string electrics.

Solved the Roland guitar synth running out of patches too soon on the E string that way too.

the Pentaula is tuned an octave down . 15" scale has the .056" G a bit floppy
    but the DAEB works OK. with a string set felt heavy its normal AEBF#C#pitch set

2 pickup types , perhaps, Blend in a piezo bridge which is fine with a thin E ,
    and magnetic pickup that won't 'see' that string well , together .. ...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Happen to like CGDA tuning , myself ... have a Mandola and 2 4 string electrics.

Solved the Roland guitar synth running out of patches too soon on the E string that way too.

the Pentaula is tuned an octave down . 15" scale has the .056" G a bit floppy
    but the DAEB works OK. with a string set felt heavy its normal AEBF#C#pitch set

2 pickup types , perhaps, Blend in a piezo bridge which is fine with a thin E ,
    and magnetic pickup that won't 'see' that string well , together .. ...

What gauge strings are you using for C-G-D-A?

C is .049" the others are just shifted over, 40, 26 14 ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mann seems to make some really good electric instruments. I really like the PRS looking solid body, but I suspect the semi-hollow body is a lot more versatile. Does it have a piezo in the bridge?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taboot View Post
    I don't have any experience taking an 8 string instrument, and stringing it with 4 strings (I think that's what you're asking?) It sure seems like it would work just fine, I think the only issue might be the nut slots would be slightly to one side or the other. Small differences, but we're talking about small instruments...
    That's what I did with my EM150, reason being the slightest difference in tuning on a pair of string made it sound pretty ugly. Didn't change the nut because - well, it didn't occur to me and even if it had I'm not keen on modifying vintage instruments. I removed the treble side strings because when I bend strings I tend to pull rather than push.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    I returned my Mandobird because the quiet E-sting made it unplayable.
    I haven't noticed this effect on mine. Besides, I use a 7-band EQ which evens out the response. Of course, as I look at its settings, it's weighted toward the treble end.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    For the record, I have a 4 string mandobird I'm very happy with, but I'm very much a beginner and knew what to expect when I ordered it...that is, a functional emando for only a little cash, and not a custom emando collectible.
    I'm with you on this, though I'm not a beginner. It is much more what I was looking for than the EM150 - a real rock, blues, and and country instrument, able to bend strings three frets, make 'em cry and twang, leap small (very small) buildings in a single bound. I also have a 5-string Fender (recent import, not vintage) that I haven't bonded with yet. I may yet add another pickup to the MandoBird, for more power and the toggle action. All in good time. Meanwhile, it's a lot of bang for the buck. New they're $250 but I got mine on ebay barely used for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    You can't do a good mandolin tremolo with single strings, but if you're playing rock music, you probably won't need to worry about that.
    You know, while I agree with you as far as my personal experience goes, I have heard some decent tremolo action from guitarists, and they are using single strings. I'm thinking of Eric Clapton on Cream's "Dance The Night Away," though of course this is an example of a master at the peak of his powers and there is some kind of effect being used. I'll bet that tweaking the settings on a reverb or echo or delay effect would help make single-string tremolo sound fuller. But yeah, generally speaking, single-string tremolo tends to sound staccato.

Quote Originally Posted by whitemperor View Post
    OK guys, thank you for yours suggestions. At the end i bought an Ovation mandolin, model MCS148. I'll tell you how it works!
    Oh no! Lost another one to Ovation ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Mann seems to make some really good electric instruments. I really like the PRS looking solid body, but I suspect the semi-hollow body is a lot more versatile. Does it have a piezo in the bridge?
    I'd ask Mr Mann and see if that was an option, as an individual builder I expect he is open to individual customer's needs.

a Fishman type bridge, and a separate tailpiece would be simple and fairly low cost.
    Hollow body would, also, allow a transducer to go inside, under the bridge.

I had Individual RMC piezoelectric pieces inset on top of a wooden bridge
    the 4 leads can be combined to an onboard preamp like Godin uses, [also from RMC] and a mono signal.

My choice was a Divided Pickup, 8 pin jack& cable, the magnetic pickup is then 1 of the conductors {#7}, that is split back out on the black box preamp 'polydrive 2', so when just running a multi effects pedal that 1/4" cable comes off the box to the input of EFX/Preamp.

to feed the PD2 external preamp, which also provides a signal for 13 pin Roland guitar synths . 1 of the 13 is phantom for the PD2, [9v battery for Running piezo Pre without the synth cable]

Steve Ryder is another builder , he retrofitted 5 bridge pickups into the Pentaula , those are Strat bridge type.
    Builds his own Emando's with synth ready electronics if desired .

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

You could try an Almuse, made in UK, look at web site..
    www.almuse.co.uk
    My ' mini tele' cost approx £300, not sure what that is in euros, but very competitive price. Ans almuse have designed a pickup especially for electric mandos, no problem with the volume of the top e string.