Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Chip pick----Lost and found

Default Re: Blue Chip pick----Lost and found

There are people who put things in containers to keep them organized and there are people who have their things strewn all over the top of their desk or table. I'm in the second category. My picks are in a big bowl on top of a coffee table in the room where I play. The picks I use 99% of the time are laying around the table under various things like capos, recorders, packs of strings, wire cutters, clearing cloths, pencils, sheet music, books, CDs and DVDs, iPod, laptop computer, tuners, wires, etc. etc. But, I can always find what I need. My BC is either on that table, in my pocket, or in my hand. I never put it in the strings because I use more than one instrument. I never put it in an instrument case pocket for the same reason. Once a month or so when I finally wash my jeans it might end up going through the wash, but I can always find it in the bottom of the machine. So far anyway. My biggest fear is getting a hole in my pocket.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

[QUOTE=un5trung;770815]I'll admit that I'm something of a newbie on this forum, but I can't think of a single specific item of gear that has garnered as much verbiage -- as many threads, the length of each thread -- as had Blue Chip picks!

I think that's because so many of us have Bluechips - common interest and all that.

Get a few and join the club!

Malcolm Grundy from Montreal

What's interesting is the psychology of expense: A $35.00 mandolin would most often be treated with no more care than a pocket comb; a $35.00 pick generates "agita" in us! It's the same $35.00, no?

I have some $100.00+ chromatic harmonicas - I treat them very carefully. I also have a couple of practice chromatics that cost me only about $36.00 each. I give them virtually no care (they thrive, by the way), because I figure if one gets pooched, it's not that expensive to replace.

Now get this: I have a bunch of ca. $20-30.00 diatonic harps that I treat with the same care as my expensive chromatics. Why? Because $30.00 is not so cheap for a diatonic! But it's less than the "cheap" chromatic I keep out in my car all winter! Am I crazy, or what?

My problem is slightly different. I am not afraid of losing them. I am afraid that someone will try to steal my beloved Blue Chip picks. It got so bad I went to the doctor, who said I was suffering from a bad case of PPP--Purloined Plectrum Paranoia.

(no groans please...)

If thats not enough sometimes I think I can hear what must be a ghost in my attic practicing mandolin at night, which really freaks me out! Last night I heard it again so I went to get my mandolin to make sure it was there and try to figure out what was going on. The mandolin was still in the case, but my Blue Chip pick was gone! I was so upset I went back to the doctor today. This time the doc said I was suffering from an even rarer affliction--PPPPP. Paranormal Purloined Plectrum Practicing Paranoia. (Say that ten times fast!)

O.k. I am out of here before I further embarrass myself. Back to the discussion.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Thread bump:
    Had my backup BC in the front pocket of my pants while playing a gig Sun nite...looked for it today and couldn't find it!
    After sending up smoke signals, chants, raindance, and the obligatory come to Jesus meeting, there it was, right where I knew it was and swore that I looked for it!

Signed,
    Thankful at Thanksgiving
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

maybe they should put a tracking chip in the blue chip picks. then when you miss place it you make a phone call to them & they track it down for a small fee. lets say $5.00, would be like having OnStar in your car.

9. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    maybe they should put a tracking chip in the blue chip picks. then when you miss place it you make a phone call to them & they track it down for a small fee. lets say $5.00, would be like having OnStar in your car.
    Perhaps something like the anti theft stickers that will cause alarm when you leave shop... You would need that detector and go around your house until alarm catches - could be good game for your kids - go find my BC. ;-)
    Adrian

11. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

I used to lose picks all the time when I played electric guitar. I used Tortex and left them in the strings, on the amp, in my pocket... wherever. Now, I have a couple small tins with press on lids. One each in the guitar and mando cases. When the instrument comes out, the pick tin comes out. When I'm done, picks go back in the tin, back in the case.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I don’t tend to lose them often but when I do lose a favorite, I get a little upset.
    I have removed a great deal of the stress possibility by using an old packet watch case (Hunter case) to keep picks in, out it on a decent chain and it looks very neat onstage as well, in cold weather, I tend to wear a vest so, there is an extra set of pockets to lose things in, the case removes some of the frustration.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

14. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I never lose cheap picks , just BC picks !

16. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... I have to write that 1. Washing machine and dryers don't seem to hurt my BC picks. They are rough on fiddle rosin though. 2. The way to find a lost BC pick is to buy another .... I have done this three times I assure you it works. 3. I had a deep reddish brown Persian style carpet in my music room. I eventually replaced it because when I did drop a pick I had great difficulty finding it. 4. I admit to being spoiled by my cat. He allows me to purchase BC picks when I buy another instrument. Be well and play on!... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

18. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I tend to mildly freak out when I can't find it,or it goes flying out of my fingers,,you really need that 2nd backup just for health reasons...

20. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
    It seems that the common factor in all these tales is Blue Chip. My Tortex has never disappeared - time for you to change picks.
    Or stated another way, you don't own a $35 pick -- it OWNS you! (just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Thread bump:
    Had my backup BC in the front pocket of my pants while playing a gig Sun nite...looked for it today and couldn't find it!
    After sending up smoke signals, chants, raindance, and the obligatory come to Jesus meeting, there it was, right where I knew it was and swore that I looked for it!

Signed,
    Thankful at Thanksgiving
    Same thing happened to me with a 1964 Chevy once. Could not find it in a restaurant parking lot, one morning about 2 AM. Took a cab home and called the police to report it stolen. They called me about 10AM the following Sunday morning. Apparently, whoever stole it, not only returned it to the same restaurant parking lot, but parked it just where I had left it! I might have had more than a few drinks that evening. Can't recollect, exactly.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Kammerzell For This Useful Post:

tuck my pick under the strings where it stays just fine..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

my oh my over 4 thousand viewed. do you think they sold that many picks & if so how many were lost, an then they bought a replacement pick.