Thread: monitors

ok... played in a bar.. used one mic.. they kept the monitors off due to having problems with feed back.. the band that owned the mic requested that they do so, so im deducting that has been a problem in the past for them...
    question is.... is this a common problem, how can this be fixed or prevented?

been playing lots more bluegrass lately one mic is the desired situation for my band, before i go out spurgin on a mic set up, this concerned me!

thanks!
    john

john,
    Don't be discouraged, you don't use or need a monitor with the single mike setup. It takes a little getting used to but with an ensemble, you are able to hear each other plus control your mix/dynamics with your proximity to the mic. The group I'm currently with uses a single and I must say that it works out fine. We have done some gigs where the individual mics are already setup and we have also used them but the sound seems more cohesive and simple through the single! I once saw Doyle Lawson when he was just starting to use the single mic. He kept trying to use his main speakers behind the mic and of course it wouldn't work. Finally he moved them forward of the mic pattern and everything worked out fine. I don't think he welcomed my suggestion that the speakers be moved forward since for about another 30 minutes he kept trying till finally they were moved.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

A low ceiling in a noisy bar can cause feedback problems, but you can still get used to it. When our group started, we used separate mics without monitors because we couldn't afford them - a month after I got some, we switched to one mic and haven't looked back. A few months ago, we played a REALLY noisy college bar (imagine college coeds screaming and cheering after Jerusalem Ridge and Can't You Hear Me Callin'), and although we could barely hear ourselves (luckily, we have played together awhile), the tape I made off the PA sounded just fine. A sound guy told me that the farther you keep the speakers from the mic, the higher you can turn up the gain, so we put the speakers out there and just listen to ourselves on stage. We barely hear the sound from the speakers, but know it is coming out.

thanks for the advice

i think im gonna have to always stand to the right side of the band because my left ear works much better than my right!

Doyle Lawson and a few other bands, caint remember who, that use the single or two single mic setups, will also use wireless ear monitors. That would be the ultimate way to go in a bar or where ambient noise is loud. Problem is they cost a bunch.

I always struggle with hearing my instrument in loud situations and get frustrated as hell. I try to stay away from the bass and especially banjo. I imagine an ear monitor would be great. You could tailor your position/distance from the mic using the sound in the ear monitor.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

wired in ear monitors are Way cheaper.
    I have had conversations the topic of wireless systems getting the towns loudest radio station instead of the other end of the gear, probably good to have as a backup if you do go wireless ,anyhow.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture