Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson History, serial numbers, FON's and such

Default Gibson History, serial numbers, FON's and such

I posted this on Loar Picture of the day, but have decided it needs a new home. I'm not sure how much interest we will have in this. Hopefully this will provide a place to collect alot of information that is scattered across numerous threads

____________repost

I encourage all Loar and Gibson affecionatos to fully read this book by Walter Carter (Gibson - 100 Years). I have owned the book since it came out in the early 90's, however there were numerous chapters that I had only sped read or "I'm just looking at the pictures Mom"

Of particular interest are the numerous tales of "Board Room Wars" along with excerpts from minutes of meetings and such. We on this thread have discussed many things about Gibson and the Loar era, but, we have not fully explored the meaning of some of the facts presented in this book.

I will expand on this later as I assimilate my thoughts but here are a few pointers that come to mind:

Board meetings appear to be held on Monday about once a month or there abouts - they seem to coincide with many of the dates Loars were signed on.

L. A. Williams, a Loar associate left Gibson in a furor at the end of '23. Others left before the end of '24, with Loar essentially being the last of the old regime. Loar was more involved with the company than thought, he signed paycheck and did a number of things that imply board member/stockholder

Harry Ferry entered the equation in later '23 and turned the company around to make a profit in '24

Some of his goals were to a) cut the number of models and to B) change from teacher/agent agreements to Music store/dealership agreements.

The cut in production experienced in 1925 was so great that it could not have been from a shift in interest from mandolins to guitars and banjos and the economy simply was not that up and down. Production dipped 60-70%, immediately meaning that they overbuilt and spent the next several years selling 1924 era new instruments. They were building 4-5000 instuments a year and then built about 1200-1400 for the new 3-4 years. Impossible. This is why 1925 instruments may not even be 1925's at this juncture. We note how so many things changed immediately, but this may not now be true. I believe they spent several years finishing instrument started in 1923 and early 24 on an as needed as sold basis (which was one of Harry Ferry's initiatives also)

Some of this seems to explain how Eugene Claycomb special ordered a "red" F5 in mid 1926 and received a red '24 Fern Loar.

More to come
    Last edited by Darryl Wolfe; Sep-30-2009 at 2:38pm.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Default Re: Gibson History, serial numbers, FON's and such

OK. This one is going to be a little tough to explain. Dan and I have been discussing this. We really do not know the exact date for Catalog N, but it appears to be very late 23. It introduces the F5 for the first time. It also introduces the A2Z and an L2 blonde top guitar with a black style line in the top.

Now here are some of the things we see by looking through the mandolin archive

There is no such thing as a black topped snakehead A2. The two listed are not A2's

Brown face snakehead A2's stopped mid to late 23 and A2Z's started. Last brown face snake A2 numbers are 739xx with a couple of 74xxx stragglers that likely have the same FON

I think the "Z" was simply to differentiate between the A2's that met the old description and the A2's that met the new catalog description
    Straight A's became black topped instruments

The actual number for A2Z's and snakehead A4's during the entire 23, 24 and 25 period is really extremely low and limited to 150 each or even less.

True snakehead A2's are limited also. There only seems to be two batches: 733xx and 739xx

There are no A2's of any kind after they sold the run of A2Z's and A4's dissapear as if they were available if someone ordered one after about late 25 early 26

This fits the mission Mr. Ferry outlined in his board meeting in later 23
    www.f5journal.com

As Dan implied in his post on the LOPD thread. We may be learning something new here. There is alway new info to be digested and new theories to go with it. Here is more evidence. Below are my

1925 A4 82619 FON 8932
    1925 A2 marked A 81546 FON 8510

These both have this oddball pretty "The Gibson" logo not seen on any true 1923 and 1924 instruments. Both have the new lacquer finish. Both have modern worm over tuners. The sunburst on the A4 is brighter and less hand done looking, and the FON's are miles from anything we see with a Loar label on it. These were built for need, not part of an overbuilt stock of instruments awaiting an order. With this in mind, they may not be 1925 instruments. They may have spent the next year and a half finishing up alll those others and developing faster drying finishes and other things
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00735.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	46348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81547_peghead.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	46349  
    www.f5journal.com

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

My old Gibson guitar has the number 9511 on the heel block. HERE is a little web page on my old Gibson. So, maybe 9511 is a 1929 item?

I never quite understood these numbers though. It's not quite like a serial number, eh?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Jim Mills goes into details in his new prewar flathead banjo book about why the banjos did not have serial no. only FON and there seems to be no connection to actual dates for those FON. He was able to put together some speculative dates from actual dated receipts. I would think mandolins would fall into same sequence of FON meaning less then we first thought. As far as dating those 20's catalogs in those days printing shops were not plentiful and there was a long lag time from time of order to delivery date since the press had to be set up pretty much manually with lead type offset presses. So if they came up with the stuff in early 23 by the time it was printed and into the hands of the customer it would be 6 months later. Things moved slower back then.

"I encourage all Loar and Gibson affecionatos to fully read this book by Walter Carter."

Amazon had 5 used copies, I ordered 1, so 4 still available.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Are we talking about MANDOLIN-family FON and serial-numbers OLNY or do GUITAR and/or BANJO FON and serial-numbers fit in somewhere???

I was under the impression that guitar FON and serial numbers were a different thing than mandolin family FON and serial numbers.

Has anyone got specifics?
    Olaf

They are one and the same. Here is a small slice

78604 11147A A4
    78660 11147a A4
    78751 8024 A
    78775 8078 F4
    78907 8089 A
    78916 8095 A
    78931 8905 A
    78965 11919 A2Z
    78974 11002 A2Z
    78977 11029 A2Z
    79163 8094 A
    79224 11999 A
    79268 8097 F4
    79285 8092 Ajr
    79386 8122 A
    79439 8153 Ajr
    79607 11995 A2Z
    79716 8229 A
    79791 8229 A
    79792 8190 Ajr
    79806 8190 Ajr
    79835 11985 F5
    79841 11142A O
    79844 11142A O
    79845 11999 A2Z
    79860 1198x A2Z
    79914 8284 A
    80092 11345 K2
    80107 8356 H1
    80270 8405 Ajr
    80286 8405 Ajr
    80319 8355 F2
    80377 8355 F2
    80434 8430 A
    80485 8430 A
    80515 11963 A2Z
    80529 8230 F4
    80570 8350 L5
    80624 8123 A4
    80782 11985 F5
    80849 8559 Ajr
    www.f5journal.com

I can almost see two old thick carbon paper order books with a number in the upper right corner. The five digit one got old and ran out and they continued with the other one
    www.f5journal.com

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Darryl, there's some dude at the Vintage area of the UMGF that has done research on these FONs, connecting to years and such. Maybe his name is John Thomas? I know you are a member, so you may send him a PM and see if he has something to share?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Thanks..yes it is John. I do not go there much as somebody in our IS Dept has filtered yuku out
    www.f5journal.com

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

Hi Darryl,
    Near as I can tell the serial number on this A2 snakehead is 72736 and the FON is 11836. It all looks original to me.

Charles

Charles, you may have misunderstood my post. Essentially the early brown snakehead A2's (like yours) are the only snake A2's produced. These are the 72xxx and 73xxx batches. There appear to be no black ones at all and anything after the 73xxx batch is a blonde A2z
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    There is no such thing as a black topped snakehead A2. The two listed are not A2's
    Darryl,

You may want to double-check this with Jim Garber. Jim has posted a photo of what he calls his "23 A2" in this thread (post #9), and it's certainly a blacktop snakehead, so the only question is whether it's really an A2. Jim normally gets these things right.

Martin

Thanks Martin...It sure looks like an A2 Maybe he will chime in. There are none in the archive listing. Here is the rub though. I have a mandolin exactly like that. It looks like a blacktop A2, but is marked "A" apparently because the A2 had been discontinued at that point. So technically there would be no black A2's but there are some straight A's with binding and inlayed pearl script marked A. The top on Jims mando looks a bit suspicious too
    www.f5journal.com

Jim Garber responded back

"Hi Darryl:
    No, My blacktop is not marked A2. I can see only an "A". I always thought that was strange"
    www.f5journal.com

Darryl:

Since everyone is mentioning other folks that can help with FON's, etc., I'll mention that Joe Spann on the Banjo Hangout apparently has gathered a lot of information based on when certain instruments were shipped, certain suppliers for Gibson,timelines, worker profiles, etc. I don't know if he has also gathered info. (even inadvertantly) about mandolins, but you might give him a shout and see if there is any information that may help.

PS: Just finished a project at Houndslake CC - didn't get a contact and meet you, but will contact you in the future when I get back to Aiken!
    Linksmaker

PS: Just finished a project at Houndslake CC - didn't get a contact and meet you, but will contact you in the future when I get back to Aiken![/QUOTE]

OHH...did you do the new traps?
    www.f5journal.com

Darryl,
    I think you are correct. I have had a number of black snakeheads with A2Z features - top and back binding, bound fingerboard, wide white soundhole rosette, and inlaid pearl logos. I think they were all labeled as "A" and all dated 1924.

Note also I have had (in fact currently have) blacktop snakeheads with top binding only, unbound fingerboard, wide white rosette, and painted logo. These are also labeled "A", and date from 1924 and 1925.

To sum up, looks like blacktop snakeheads in 1924 could have either set of features and still be labeled as an "A".

Charles

Darryl,
    Just to confuse the issue further, I have a blonde top snakehead serial number 78968 FON 11919 that is clearly labeled A2-. Its not just the bottom of the "z" - its a dash. In all other aspects its an A2Z, although it does have silver plated tuners with pearl buttons:

Charles

PS - Big pic here: http://vintagemandolin.com/images/pe...9/labela2-.JPG

PPS - Dan I will send pics. This one is not in the archive.

Charles..an A2Z I had years ago was like that too. A2 followed by what appeared to be an equal sign
    www.f5journal.com

I think the = sign is actually a dash/under-inked stamp. We chatted about this once before, but the images I have of labels show a thick dash which would look like an = if only the edges stamped cleanly
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    PS: Just finished a project at Houndslake CC - didn't get a contact and meet you, but will contact you in the future when I get back to Aiken!
    OHH...did you do the new traps?[/QUOTE]

Yep! Had a lot of fun working there. Their "teaching pro" is one of my best and oldest friends in golf. (The entire course is really starting to be in good condition - new superintendent!)
    Linksmaker

Here is a copy of a Gibson invoice dated June 1933 showing that F5 mandolin 89516 was delivered. We universally refer to the 89xxx mandolins as 1929. This is just another shred of evidence that the thick lacquer finish on some "1929" mandolins is really 1933-34 and that 89xxx just may be 1933-34
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loarfest039.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	46890  
    www.f5journal.com

Darryl:

You may have already seen this, but if not thought you might find it interesting!

http://www.banjohangout.org/topic/160645
    Linksmaker