Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Amps

Default Acoustic Amps

I'm running into a few more plug-in gigs where I need to bring an amp instead
    of (or in conjunction) with running into the board.

Sorry I know this subject has been probably been beaten to death but what are some opinions of the current offering of acoustic amps on the market in the context of using it with an acoustic mandolin (with a pick-up)

And do you find that you still like to run an "out" to the house to fill it out a bit?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

Default Re: Acoustic Amps

My all purpose hearing aide is a Roland AC60, does all I need plug any mic or Schertler pickup in one and magnetic coil or piezo source in the other channel , there are preamp outs and ins on the back .
    and the padded gig bag holds cables and such and an extension cord under the lid.
    has a shoulder strap to haul it away by.
    you can use it as a PA as it has a pole stand socket in the bottom.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Just my opinion,

I like the Roland AC-60 and the Fishman Loudbox 100.

Depending on your situation, it would probably be safer to run an out to the house. Use the amp as your monitor. If it's just you, just mic the amp. If you do both, do you know the sound man? Of course, the size of the venue and playing with a drummer (have you read the jokes thread?) enters into your decision.

You would lose the stereo effect of the two speakers of the AC-60 by connecting direct to the house.

The Loudbox can be connected with a pure signal (you can turn it up or down as a monitor without affecting the strength of the signal to the house), or with your effects (but turn it up to hear it better, you strengthen the signal to the board).

There's a start for you.

Hey thanks....

Ac-60 looks good....some complaints I've just read are about the AC-60's lack of volume/output......I guess the AC-90 is a louder version of the AC-60

Any experience witht the AC-90?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Yes, the Roland AC is available in different configurations. They are a top choice for mandolins with pickups. They can be reinforced by the mains board. The 90 is heavier, bulkier, and a bit more money. Choose between convenience and your need for stand-alone power for those times you need it. The Rolands won't disappoint.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

The AER Cube 60 works great for me, has a line out to the board (Lo-Z), phantom power and two inputs, one quarter inch and one Lo-Z. It's nice and small and great sound.

I just bought a loudbox 100 to repace a wimpy 15 watt acoustic, and it's definitely LOUD. And it's lightweight enough that I don't feel like I'm lugging equipment. I would definitely buy it again. I have yet to use it running to the house, but have used it in a coffee house setting and at several practices.
    Sheryl --- Me

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I use an Ashdown Engineering Radiator 1 acoustic amp (100W) which I find works very well with mandolin (using phantom-powered clip on condenser mic). It has mic (phantom power switchable) and low-high pickup inputs, anti-feedback control, phase in-out and digital reverb and is much the same size as the AER (which is excellent but more expensive).

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

P.S. When a bit more power is called for I use a Yamaha StagePAS 300W mini-PA which all packs away into two small speaker enclosures and so which is also highly portable.

If you want the purest acoustic sound, try an Ultrasound. I have the 100 watt model, but they come in other sizes. It is amazing. You will not believe the sound. In larger venues, I either mike it through the PA or direct line it. It was recommended to me by somebody on this sight. They're small and lightweight, but kick a_ _.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Genz Benz Acoustic Pro. 200 watts 12 inch speaker. All the in and outs you could ever want. I also run another 12 cabinet with it for better coverage. The Pro is not light but they do make lighter models now. Worth a look.

Joe

My vote is Shertler Unico. Love the tone, pretty darn acoustic sounding.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

A quality pre amp offers many possibilities for dual pickups or multiple instruments, microphone inputs, phantom power, effects blending, tuner out, and sending separate main, monitor, and stage amp lines out. Then you can use any powered speaker or guitar amp. I prefer to mic an amp rather than use a line to the soundboard for various reasons. Sennheiser 609 is a great choice. Mackie makes a 500 watt high definition 2-way powered speaker, and musician's friend or guitar center offer them used occasionally.
    I like my old Roland AC-100 when using a Schertler pickup, but I mostly use a Dean Markley K60 guitar amp.
    My next rig will be a Manley direct pre and a Mackie. Avalon and Radial make nice pre amps to.

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/di99.html
    david blair

I use a powered PA speaker. Never understood with acoustic instruments why people use amps. Probably I'm missing something.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    I use a powered PA speaker. Never understood with acoustic instruments why people use amps. Probably I'm missing something.
    I like the powered PA speaker approach too, but it does require some extra gear like preamp, EQ, effects, etc. You can do it with just a Baggs PADI feeding a powered speaker, but there are more complicated (and expensive) ways to do it with pedals or racked gear, depending on your requirements. An acoustic amp offers basic front-end processing in one box, at a price that's usually lower than assembling separate components. So I think it's the dual appeal of plug-'n-play operation, and relatively low cost.

Also I think many folks don't realize how compact, lightweight, and great-sounding the new generation of modern powered speakers are. For musicians who have been at the game a long time, the term "PA" can evoke thoughts of big, heavy boxes and cruddy sound.

I do like acoustic amps at the smallest end of the scale, where I think they have a place as monitors or "light" reinforcement. I sometimes use a little 15 lb. AER Alpha when our trio plays a small-scale gig without a PA, and I need just a subtle boost to keep up with a loud fiddler. One of these days I'm going to rig up a 12v. battery and inverter so I can use it as a street busking amp. It's a cool little amp for that kind of thing (AER does make a battery-powered amp, but it's expensive and heavy).

For anything more than that, I'd rather be running into the compact PA our band uses. The powered speakers (QSC K10) sound great and weigh only 32 lbs. each. That's half the weight of my old Sedona acoustic amp, which is admittedly a very heavy amp, but there are others like some Fender Acoustasonics and older Fishmans that get up in that range. Equipment like this has squeezed out the role of high-end acoustic amps, in my opinion, if you can handle just a slightly longer setup time, and the higher cost (usually) of the component approach. YMMV, and we're not all going to have the same requirements when playing out.

Powered PA speakers are fine but for the average guy who justs wants that certain sound without the other gizmo's needed to get it Acoustic amps are easier to use right out of the box. No mess no fuss.

Joe

Reading about Roland's 'Street cube' it is stated to run off a collection of AA batterys for quite a while.
    They offer a 2 channel one to sing in one and play into the other .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I just plug my Shertler PU into a mic cable and then straight into the PA speaker. Works very well. Sounds very acoustic. No extra gizmos. Pretty cheap and simple.
    Last edited by Rob Gerety; Sep-28-2009 at 8:23pm.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I just plug my Shertler PU into a mic cable and then straight into the PA speaker. Works very well. Sounds very acoustic. No extra gizmos. Pretty cheap and simple.
    Not even an amp? Better edit again

I use an old Trace Elliot that i got off fleabay. Works great is half to a third smaller that any acoustic amp out there and sounds good. has phantom power and 2 x 5" speakers which i think is all you need for a mandolin.
    I like the powered p.a. idea, but taken to a smaller size a powered hot spot is 100 watts extremely small, and with something like a Shertler or a para di would work great.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I prefer to play through the PA whenever I can so most important to me is a good preamp...when I started amplifying "acoustic amps" didn't exist so a preamp that worked well is what you spent your resources on. From there it made sense to just add a speaker and power amp when a PA wasn't available. The preamp also turns any regular low input impedance combo amp that might be available (or already owned) into an "acoustic" amp. Another advantage of a non-combo rig is that I got to choose the individual components. Something I didn't think about initially but ended up doing a lot too is play through the PA with just the preamp while the speaker and power amp get used as a monitor....for several years playing regularly in a duo working bars and restaurants that was my contribution to the PA.

The downside is you have more choices to try, to pay for and to be confused by individually and in combination. And while the half rack Raven Labs preamp, Stewart power amp and 8" Tannoy speaker aren't any bigger total than a small combo it is a bit more work to carry and plug in.

I haven't tried any of the latest generation of acoustic combo amps but I bet some of 'em sound great. I doubt I'd ever buy one though just because I'm waaaaay too lazy to carry it when I just need the preamp.
    jeff bonny

Ooop. Sorry Mike - I meant "powered" pa speaker.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I figured so, just teasing

I have a Schertler Unico, and love it.
    Two instrument inputs and a mic input = really handy for a band!

I am no sound expert, but I've played a lot of gigs and have tried to pay attention to what works.
    One thing that doesn't get discussed is the dispersion of the speaker with acoustic amps. PA speakers are designed with a fairly narrow focus for the projected waves compared to the typical amp speaker. This means more sound gets to the people in front and less is being bounced off of nearby walls, in a pub, let's say. With the normal "combo" amp, the waves are going out 180 degrees and it can sound muddled because the listener is hearing the direct sound combined with the sound bouncing off of nearby walls. It may sound beautiful at 10 feet, but a complete mess at 30 ft.. This is one reason testing in a store is not conclusive.

Properly aimed PA speakers on a pole can reach tons farther is my point here. I used to use amps all the time, but it always confused me that people couldn't hear well just a little distance away, when it sounded so clear playing next to it.

Now I use 2 cabinets in which I've installed an EV speaker with a big magnet along with a lightweight Yamaha powered mixer head (20lbs). Not really much more weight than an 100 watt amp when I'm using the head and 1 speaker, but the sound is incredibly better and can be directed more usefully.
    I've been doing gigs (solo guitar) on our Main St. for the monthly artwalk in town, and have been interested to see how far I can reach with my system, and have been getting reports that I was being heard clearly a block away.

Make sure that its not just you hearing clearly but the guy in back, too.