Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At Last, a Loar To Play

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Default Re: At Last, a Loar To Play

I played Fred Eisnor's Loar 30 years ago. Wasn't a seminal experience. per se, but it sure was a nice mando, no doubt about it.
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

[Quote from Darryl Wolfe] Even as a Loar owner it is always a thrill to play one that you have not played. I played several "new" ones the other day. Another July 9 and a March 24 Fern Loar (also a true 26 Fern)

true enough Darryl! by the way, what are your impressions from these three, "new model test drives"?

I was fortunate to get to play Dave Grishman’s. I went to see the Quintet at a music store and nobody showed up except about 5 of us. I told him I was working on learning the craft of mandolin playing and could I look at his. He immediately handed it to me and told me to play it. Two things happened. I got to play a Loar and all rumors of Grisman being a person of quality beyond measure were confirmed.

Yet another great article by Bill Graham.

A few years ago I had my first chance to hold and really examine a Loar F5 and my husband played his first all courtesy of Dan Beimborn. That was a day we won’t forget.
    Gail Hester

If you played Fred Isenor's Loar 30 years ago in Canada you may have not been told it was totally refinished in the 30's to a lacquer finish. Not quite the same as an all original Loar.

true enough Darryl! by the way, what are your impressions from these three, "new model test drives"?[/QUOTE]

The Fxxx refinn back July 9 was exceptional to my ear. The xx551 Fern Loar was "typical". The Fern was outstanding
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Hester View Post
    Yet another great article by Bill Graham.

A few years ago I had my first chance to hold and really examine a Loar F5 and my husband played his first all courtesy of Dan Beimborn. That was a day we won’t forget.
    It was more courtesy of Jack Schultz! I remember that day too!
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Douglas

I've never played a Loar and probably won't (unless I get very lucky), but this article answered many of my questions. I appreciated the photos too, as I got to see the neck from the back which answered another question I had (about shape). Really good article. I think it did what it set out to do! Can't think of a better compliment than to say I got to try a Loar with words alone. Thanks Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    true enough Darryl! by the way, what are your impressions from these three, "new model test drives"?
    The Fxxx refinn back July 9 was exceptional to my ear. The xx551 Fern Loar was "typical". The Fern was outstanding[/QUOTE]

Thanks Darryl! That must have been a fun session...

i have never played a loar though i've been up close, a few feet away. Tony Williamson, Alan Bibey..great sounding mandolins. but i think one of the best mando's i recall was Charlie D's Master Model which i heard him play at the Gibson showroom once.