Thread: Tell Me About Starvy Creek Bluegrass Festival in Conway MO

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Default Tell Me About Starvy Creek Bluegrass Festival in Conway MO

Tell Me About Starvy Creek Bluegrass Festival in Conway MO. Next one is September 17-19, 2009. Big crowd? Easy place just to show up and find people to jam with? No camper so I'll just be coming and going, maybe just Friday and Saturday. Bring your own chair? Lots of food & music vendors?
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Default Re: Tell Me About Starvy Creek Bluegrass Festival in Conway MO

Holy Cow! I cannot believe that nobody replied. I just saw your question. Starvy Creek is a premium festival in every way. Top bands, wall to wall jamming, good concessions and friendly people. I've never been to the September show, and haven't been to the July one for several years either, but I've got a bunch of friends that go to ALL of them. The hardcore bluegrassers all go to Starvey and us old time pickers and old hippies go to Winfield. Lebanon, Mo is just down the road, and Morgan Music brings some nice instruments. I have no idea what the line-up is this fall, but it's always top level bands. You will not regret the trip, if you love bluegrass. Bring your chair. Go to www.Starvey Creek Bluegrass Festival website for more info.
    Mike Snyder

Like Mike I've never been to the September festival since it's the same weekend as Winfield but I have been to the July festival a few times this year included. If you're going to watch bands on stage it's a great place. If you're going primarily to jam not so much. A lot of the jams there are not really open to newcomers IMO YMMV. Yeah you need to bring your own chair. As Mike said Morgan Music is the only music vendor but then again they don't get no better than that. There's not a lot of variety in food vendors either but you won't find it cheaper anwhere else. If you go and like it I recommend check out the Back 40 Bluegrass Festival in Curryville, Mo next year. It's just up the road from you and is modeled after Starvy Creek. I went there this year and had a great time.
    GVD

I live on Highway A just West of Warrenton, MO.

[QUOTE=Mike Snyder;708946] us old time pickers and old hippies go to Winfield.

Is that in Winfield, MO? If it is, I'd like more details.

[QUOTE=Jim Rahn;710256]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    us old time pickers and old hippies go to Winfield.

Is that in Winfield, MO? If it is, I'd like more details.
    No sir that's Winfield, KS home of the Walnut Valley Festival and it's called the Pickers Paradise for good reason. Here's a link to their website

http://www.wvfest.com/
    GVD

[we really enjoyed starvy Creek last September 2017. I had heard that the jamming is pretty professional and newcomers are hard-pressed to find a group to fit into. I found some of the Jammers so professional its like a recording studio. I did find a wonderful group that allowed me to sit in with them and play what I knew. seems to me he was retired railroad engineer named Lou I think he's a fixture there every year and a wonderful guy as they all were. My wife videotaped it and when I watched the video tape back, I was amazed at how bad I was. but they all put up with it and tried to teach me how to do it. I was so inspired, I bought a real nice fiddle at the Morgan Music Booth that's inspired me and hopefully will do better this. year. Like Lou said about the group, "if any of us were any good, none of us would be here!"